TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

What other videos did you say you had of it? It really looks amazing!!

On my instagram you can see that launch video as well as the final stretch of the ride. Thats really all you can film from the park. While riding Thunderhead I was able to turn around and see it crest the wave turn. The ride is really impressive. I'm on my way out of the park now. They're currently doing more rollback testing. I MIGHT drop in for a few hours tomorrow morning before I leave Pidgeon Forge. However me and the misses have already discussed it. We're gonna schedule a 10 person 4 day cabin trip here when Lightning Rod is open. If for some reason our friends drop out we will just do a 4 day weekend. 2 days at Kentucky Kingdom for Storm Chaser and 2 days here for Lightning Rod!

What other videos did you say you had of it? It really looks amazing!!

On my instagram you can see that launch video as well as the final stretch of the ride. Thats really all you can film from the park. While riding Thunderhead I was able to turn around and see it crest the wave turn. The ride is really impressive. I'm on my way out of the park now. They're currently doing more rollback testing. I MIGHT drop in for a few hours tomorrow morning before I leave Pidgeon Forge. However me and the misses have already discussed it. We're gonna schedule a 10 person 4 day cabin trip here when Lightning Rod is open. If for some reason our friends drop out we will just do a 4 day weekend. 2 days at Kentucky Kingdom for Storm Chaser and 2 days here for Lightning Rod!

Are you still going to post the same video so we can see it better and not in instagrams low res?

That lift hill is crazy insane I love it!

It looks like a Roller Coaster Tycoon lift hill gone wrong...

...with that firey crash somewhere up there.

What's so crazy insane? Am I missing something?

Looks like good speed to finish out the circuit, but it's not going ballstothewall into the brake run.

I rethought about that and when I last visited and got close. The lift is a pretty tall climb even though it may not look it from the ground, again this coaster plays with perspective. I've re watched the launch video over and over, at the base you see the train pick up speed a bit then not actually start to "launch" until the entire train is a few feet up the hill. Still though, watch at the main top and you'll see the train crest over, it is going fast. For those who haven't seen the elements on the other end in person, some twisted beasts await you haha. Lots of twisty airtime hills that a picture just can't capture.

I've heard these test runs are just to get footage for a documentary they're making about Lightning Rod's demise... After they shoot it, deconstruction will start immediately and all wood/steel will be returned to RMC for refund on receipt. I hope they kept the receipt.

I've heard these test runs are just to get footage for a documentary they're making about Lightning Rod's demise... After they shoot it, deconstruction will start immediately and all wood/steel will be returned to RMC for refund on receipt. I hope they kept the receipt.

So it will be like a remake of the movie " The Death of Ocean View Park". Sounds like a cool idea. I hope Lightning Rod goes down easier than The Rocket did in that movie.