TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Hey guys! I just launched my new Youtube channel, and along with it a video featuring my trip to Dollywood last week! It's been a goal of mine to get a channel started this year, and this is just the first of hopefully many more videos to come! Shooting and editing video has always been a passion of mine, but I just haven't had a chance to take a stab at shooting theme park video until now. I used my point & shoot digital camera so the video quality isn't the best in the world, but it still looks decent to me. You gotta start somewhere! Anyways, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWa7T9Xw7gM

Per Screamscape - Lightning Rod - (4/21/16) The hungry masses have been waiting for an update on the status of Lightning Rod from Dollywood. I contacted Pete Owens who sent Screamscape the latest official word on the project.

"We are resuming testing this week and will open the ride in a couple of weeks when that is complete."

Edited by Kingspointwinds

Hey guys! I just launched my new Youtube channel, and along with it a video featuring my trip to Dollywood last week! It's been a goal of mine to get a channel started this year, and this is just the first of hopefully many more videos to come! Shooting and editing video has always been a passion of mine, but I just haven't had a chance to take a stab at shooting theme park video until now. I used my point & shoot digital camera so the video quality isn't the best in the world, but it still looks decent to me. You gotta start somewhere! Anyways, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWa7T9Xw7gM

Very good stuff! Especially enjoyed the footage of Thunderhead which is IMHO the best ride in the park.

Welp guys I'm leaving the park now. Not much to report. OH. BUT LIGHTNING ROD IS TESTING. FULL DAYTIME CIRCUITS WITH A LAUNCH AND EVERYTHING. This thing is LOUD AND PROUD guys. I couldnt believe I got to watch it make a full circuit. Made my day.

Tears of joy! Tears of joy!!!! Oh happy day!!! Did you get any video?

I did not see any rollbacks. Apparently it was testing on and off throughout the day but I wasnt in that area of the park until about 5 oclock. I stopped in the gift shop for lightning rod to ask about it. The woman working there said the original issue was sometimes the ride would launch too quickly so instead of top speed being 72-73 it was closer to 82 miles per hour. Thats why they added breaks to the top of the launch that go all the way up the hill. Rain and lightning warnings came in and all of the coasters shut down. I was walking toward the exit of the park from the Lightning Rod area amd I happened to turn around because I heard a weird noise and sure enough I watched it launch over the hill. Fast! I BOLTED back to the entrance to try to get video but I got there right as the rain hit and the testing stopped. I will be at the park all day tomorrow and the weather should be better. I WILL get video and pictures of testing if its testif again tomorrow. Me and my girlfriend already agreed the day it opens we will be making the drive down to ride it. I have a lot of pictures to upload to TPR when I get home on monday!

image.thumb.jpeg.cc57ced50ee972c3460658e5219ac668.jpeg

See the brakes?

The woman working there said the original issue was sometimes the ride would launch too quickly so instead of top speed being 72-73 it was closer to 82 miles per hour. Thats why they added breaks to the top of the launch that go all the way up the hill.

Why wouldn't they just reduce the launch speed?

Welp guys I'm leaving the park now. Not much to report. OH. BUT LIGHTNING ROD IS TESTING. FULL DAYTIME CIRCUITS WITH A LAUNCH AND EVERYTHING. This thing is LOUD AND PROUD guys. I couldnt believe I got to watch it make a full circuit. Made my day.

The woman working there said the original issue was sometimes the ride would launch too quickly so instead of top speed being 72-73 it was closer to 82 miles per hour. Thats why they added breaks to the top of the launch that go all the way up the hill.

Why wouldn't they just reduce the launch speed?

Because it wasnt launching like that EVERY time. It was inconsistant. This solves that problem.