TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

18 hours ago, DollyWould said:

Coaster Crew's Facebook page is reporting that Lighting Rod's rebuild will not be completed and operational until mid-April.  Sadly with the new I-Box track, it just will not feel the same.  But hopefully, it will still be an "off-the-chain" experience (get it, it still launches...no chain lift...BAAA HAAA HAAA).  Here's to RMC-ing the first RMC!!

If you are talking about not being as rough, then yes, it won't feel the same. Other than that, you probably won't even notice any difference, in my opinion since it was a topper track to begin with. Would you notice a change on Thunderhead if they switched to I-box track? For sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

If you are talking about not being as rough, then yes, it won't feel the same. Other than that, you probably won't even notice any difference, in my opinion since it was a topper track to begin with. Would you notice a change on Thunderhead if they switched to I-box track? For sure.

What I mean is, it probably will not feel as out of control, and have that balls-to-the-wall, OMG...what TF just happened (?) feeling.  But that's just IMLO. 

There are some of us that like it rough! 😉

What I mean is, it probably will not feel as out of control, and have that balls-to-the-wall, OMG...what TF just happened (?) feeling.  But that's just IMLO. 
There are some of us that like it rough! [emoji6]

I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Same profile and the old track is to new to have much wear. If anything it might be more intense with the new track (less track flex so curves are tighter and less drag from the deformation)
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, u4icmusic said:

The difference you will notice is the speed. I had a chance to ride it on day two of the trials and you would actually get ejector air off the first little hump after the launch. More recently the train barely makes it over. I would assume that the spped change was made to help with wear and tear on the track. Now that they are installing IBox on the stress areas, they should be able to run LR at the speed it was originally made to run.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:50 AM, middle_keeny said:

The difference you will notice is the speed. I had a chance to ride it on day two of the trials and you would actually get ejector air off the first little hump after the launch. More recently the train barely makes it over. I would assume that the spped change was made to help with wear and tear on the track. Now that they are installing IBox on the stress areas, they should be able to run LR at the speed it was originally made to run.

I have not heard anything from the staff about them replacing the last the LSM that was removed to slow the trains down. Personally, I think it is fast enough with that last LSM removed. I've ridden it both ways and there's not much of a difference other than the first hill.

The debate over how much difference there is in the air going over the first hill, meanwhile I'm coming off failed attempt #3 in a row to even go to the park :(
2021 is the year though! I held off doing anything last year but in both my experience and others it seems parks werent as bad as I feared. I graduate in May and thus expect to have some amount of totally free time. Nothing to get in the way, and I reckon a May weekday would = quiet park?

I reckon a May weekday would = quiet park?

Note they are closed Tue and Thu in May and only open 10-6 Mon, Wed, and Fri.

But given that, yes usually pretty dead during the week in March, April, and May (other that the week of local spring break, Apr 5-9 this year). Weather affects that though. If it warm early it might pick up.

And of course restrictions due to the current virus will affect that too. If things change by May, there could be a surge of pent up demand. But I'm not holding my breath on that.
  • Like 1

Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run rode much differently than any of the 8 I-Box RMC's I've ridden. After the first couple seasons, those 2 felt like wooden coasters. I have no doubt the 10 people who got to ride Lightning Rod more than once will feel a difference when it reopens.

Have a look, I think the data is pretty self explanatory. 

Still many of us rode multiple times on multiple visits. I know one trip I got 4 rides including 2 after dark.

And another trip 3 times, with one after park close.

Honestly, enough that I've lost count, and didn't even try to count.

14 hours ago, dankeykang said:

https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning+Rod&day=2021-01-27

Have a look, I think the data is pretty self explanatory.  That site doesn't include the year it opened, but a quick web search tells us that 2016 wasn't so great either...

image.thumb.png.659270597a34a2c9f6e7ad4b3eb35108.png 

What is this proving other than I was able to experience a coaster, that had 38% downtime in 2016, multiple times and as recent as 2019?  That data doesn't mean a damn thing bro lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DBru said:

Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run rode much differently than any of the 8 I-Box RMC's I've ridden. After the first couple seasons, those 2 felt like wooden coasters. I have no doubt the 10 people who got to ride Lightning Rod more than once will feel a difference when it reopens.

People. Does it really need to be said that DBru was being facetious? Of course many many people rode LR many many times. Calm down. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 8:05 PM, dankeykang said:

https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning+Rod&day=2021-01-27

Have a look, I think the data is pretty self explanatory.  That site doesn't include the year it opened, but a quick web search tells us that 2016 wasn't so great either...

image.thumb.png.659270597a34a2c9f6e7ad4b3eb35108.png 

Aside from all that, it was pretty reliable...

On 1/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, TEDodd said:

Note they are closed Tue and Thu in May and only open 10-6 Mon, Wed, and Fri.

But given that, yes usually pretty dead during the week in March, April, and May (other that the week of local spring break, Apr 5-9 this year). Weather affects that though. If it warm early it might pick up.

And of course restrictions due to the current virus will affect that too. If things change by May, there could be a surge of pent up demand. But I'm not holding my breath on that.

Yeah slower ops negating the lack of crowds was another reason I held off last year, it hit bad at Hershey but that was also July. I'd imagine an offseason weekday like that would be a safe bet. Hell I actually have 2 weeks in mid April off. I see the park IS open April as well. Seems kinda crazy to me that early but looks like its generally decent weather then?? Interesting... I may try to sneak to Dollywood solo while I can, wait to see what other rides open when before I plan bigger trips

I see the park IS open April as well. Seems kinda crazy to me that early but looks like its generally decent weather then??

I've gone in March and April. Weather is a toss up. It could be in the 70s and clear, or snow. One year I went in late March and it was nice all week, then snowed the next week, enough to close the park (and Newfoundland Gap to the south).

And I've been there when it was below 40 and still had a blast. Ear muffs help ;)

My only concern with May is they might loosen the restrictions (I know, not likely) and a surge in the crowds.
  • Like 1

March and April are both good times to visit. Just keep in mind

1.) Pretty weekends in March and April are actually some of the busiest days of the year for the park. Before Covid, they had several record breaking days in years past. Talking , 30+ thousand.

2.) Schools visit a lot during this time. I'm sure that won't be very impactful right now

3.) Weather can swing quickly in March and April. Snow one day, extreme heat the next

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips all! Yes, I have the same concern regarding May, TEDodd, tis why Im thinking April. I had no idea (schedules always shifting these days thanks to rona) I had this bloc of time off! Thanks dstephe9 but fear not, it will be during a weekday! Unless its the only time I that works I try to avoid parks on weekends! That said it seems weather is indeed the biggest worry. Well no worries, I will do the best I can to plan for good weather. Oh also......(in general) does Lightning Rod run that early in the year?

Oh also......(in general) does Lightning Rod run that early in the year?

All of the coasters are usually open, just like in Nov/Dec, subject to minimum operating temps. But usually not a problem. Only the water rides wait for warmer weather.

LR is an unknown. The retrack work may not be finished. Just have to see what March/April brings.