TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Wouldn't this be no different than a retrack?  I wonder if any electrical aspects of the ride would require changing as well?  If not, I don't see why this couldn't open virtually as soon as the track is replaced, sans testing.

Wouldn't this be no different than a retrack?  I wonder if any electrical aspects of the ride would require changing as well?  If not, I don't see why this couldn't open virtually as soon as the track is replaced, sans testing.
Right, but when will, it be done?

Weather can be a big driver and is unknown. And when will the new track be manufactured, when delivered, and when installed. Right now that's all unknown.

Transportation of goods is a mess.
Lots of limits on manufacturing and installation that could change at anytime.
Either could be shutdown for 2 weeks if someone tests positive.

Just way to many variables to predict.

I would think they would have track well underway if not complete seeing that new iBeam track has already been installed.  I think the decision was decided upon a while ago and not sudden where a lot of your unknown would be a factor.  Unfortunately since the park is closed it's hard to gauge how much has been done, let me backtrack, we don't even know how much is being replaced  so that is one of the unknowns.

That's the thing, on closing day, the track had not been installed yet. A few places had a little installed but by a whole, most had not been . While we have also had a calm winter so far, we have lots of snow in forecast for the next week or so, can slow progress.

• Like 1

I would think they would have track well underway if not complete seeing that new iBeam track has already been installed.  I think the decision was decided upon a while ago and not sudden where a lot of your unknown would be a factor.

You think they built all the track and shipped it already?

Maybe, but there were no reports of a big pile of track at DW, so I don't think so.

I think it's being built and shipped in many parts. I don't think RMC has space to hold all the track at once and make one big shipment (and all the other project as well). I don't think DW would want to store all the track for months as they install it.

1 hour ago, jarmor said:

So about 1900ft of track.  They should be able to do that in no time. . .

It is actually 2,160 feet of track that are being replaced, it was announced by the park at an event where they also discussed what sections were being replaced.  It works out that only 2 or 3 elements will continue being topper track and the station.

Although you are correct I would think they can get this done in time for the 2021 season.

Although you are correct I would think they can get this done in time for the 2021 season.

Normally, sure, but after 2020 and how '21 is going so far? Not so sure, but hoping for the best. I'd like to go in late March and it be open.

Didn't the rep say 57% at the event near the end of the year?  So, that much.

I was close... 57% vs 67%

16 hours ago, TEDodd said:

You think they built all the track and shipped it already?

Maybe, but there were no reports of a big pile of track at DW, so I don't think so.

I think it's being built and shipped in many parts. I don't think RMC has space to hold all the track at once and make one big shipment (and all the other project as well). I don't think DW would want to store all the track for months as they install it.

You do realize how big the employee parking lot is at Dollywood? In the past, anyone could drive up in there and get a nice view of the back parts of Lightning Rod. Sometime in 2020, there is now a security guard at the road to the lot so no general public can go up there. So they could have easily stached all the IBox there and nobody would know. 

Someone posted a construction update video on Youtube showing a majority of the re tracking complete. The current weather is more than likely causing delays but late March seems plausible.

You do realize how big the employee parking lot is at Dollywood?

Yes, I've been in the lot before.

That road used to be the entrence to the park. And at least a few years ago was the route the trolley took.

Someone posted a construction update video on Youtube showing a majority of the re tracking complete.

Got a link? This is the first mention I seen of that.

7 hours ago, TEDodd said:

So even on my big screen I can't tell clearly what's still topper and what's new.

I was expecting more I-box on the back side of the hill than it appears to be and he describes.

That's because they are identical tracks, except for the stacked wooden supports under the Topper Track. The only way to tell for sure would be if they were painted different colors. You can tell when looking at the track from a side view because you can see the wood stacked up under the track.

7 hours ago, TEDodd said:

So even on my big screen I can't tell clearly what's still topper and what's new.

I was expecting more I-box on the back side of the hill than it appears to be and he describes.

The good thing is that if they keep this pace up, Lightning Rod should open on time or fairly close to opening day, which would be great.

Oh shows how little attention I pay to offseason/this type of news....had no idea there was even a retrack of LR being done. But seems like by late April it should certainly be done. Which is excellent, hell or high water I'm going to this park finally lol and after a (by choice) weak 2020 this would be a great way to start 2021 coastering

A Dollywood employee posted on Facebook today that the park will be having a season pass holders exclusive day on the Friday before the park officially opens to the public. I've tried to make a reservation for that day, but the reservation website has not been updated yet.

A Dollywood employee posted on Facebook today that the park will be having a season pass holders exclusive day on the Friday before the park officially opens to the public.

They have that every year on the Friday before opening. Dolly is usually at the park that day too. But not likely this year.

Not sure when they might update the reservation page, or if they will even require reservations since it's passholders only.

25 minutes ago, TEDodd said:

They have that every year on the Friday before opening. Dolly is usually at the park that day too. But not likely this year.

Not sure when they might update the reservation page, or if they will even require reservations since it's passholders only.

They were not sure until today that they were going to have the season pass holder's day. I guess with COVID it took them a while to determine if they were going to do it this year or not. I can cancel my Saturday reservation now. No need to go two days in a row when the weather can still be cold.