TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I really think its about time the park make some kind of statement. The "check back often" is getting old as they aren't offering anything new. I know there are "unavoidable delays" but its getting a little silly now. Were what ... almost two months delayed and not much out of the park as to when they foresee something opening. I guess its not bad for business though when you look at the number they have seen to date this season - and it will only boost things in a few months when it opens.

Thought I'd join after just looking at this thread.

Was at Dollywood today, did not see any test runs. Did see a worker on the lift hill working on it.

Can't see how this coaster is going to be open next week. It was well publicized here locally back in late April that Dollywood expected it to be open "in a few weeks", can't see how that's going to happen if they are still working on the hill and not doing test runs.

Don't expect much of anything this week outside of a few runs. Your not going to see a lot of extended testing until they turn it over to operations. Right now it's one test and then break out the computers.

^^^ Is...is that where they sell...

The Bread ?

Can't read the writing on the small sign.

But I betcha....

Sure is..45 minute wait for it to but worth it!!

It was a very busy day but still fun.. So busy they where using both sides of the tram station and had people parked at Splash Country.. One complaint that I wish Dollywood would address as it is a safety issue on days like today.. I wish they would do a better job covering up the old "yellow" parking lines.. I got "trapped" in lot "F" because people where parking in them blocking the roads.. Did they think they where current spots? I believe so haha

Even though the park was very crowded, lines where horrible, it was still fun.. They had brought staff over from Splash Country to help out.. All restaurants where fully staffed.. Took 30 minutes to get a BBQ sampler plate but not complaining because they where working as quickly as they could and Dollywood did have all hands on deck!!

They did stay open an hour late to help some people get on rides..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If they are back working on the lift, it's back to square 1. My hands are up and my party hat is in flames! I don't see the coaster opening until sometime in June, which means it MAY be open by the next time I'm there if I'm lucky.

I'm staring to think they would've been better off with just making the coaster taller, a sped up chain, and all. This launch has caused a 2 month+ delay.

I was at the park both this past Monday May 9, then again yesterday. Lightning Rod was frequently testing Monday, but I did not notice 1 test run yesterday. We only noticed workers on the lift and on the brake run yesterday. However who knows what that even means.

On the bright side, even with the park as crowded as it was yesterday, Sunday, operations were great. Everything was running at capacity. 4 loading platforms on MM, 3 trains on BF, and both sides of the Barnstormer. The second train even came out for the Tornado, which rarely happens anymore. I forgot how that ride can move people!!

I do love how on very crowded days Dollywood always extends their closing time 1 hour. That definitely helps!!

And the bbq was excellent!!

We were at Dollywood this weekend and LR was testing. Also, I thought I posted this last week, but maybe I forgot. The coaster has been officially turned over to Dollywood. It was turned over to Dollywood last Monday, 05.09 and the LR crew has been training and riding the coaster. I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes. They are now looking into this issue and how to slow it down. He also stated the coaster was supposed to open to the public last Wed, 05.11 but because of the speed, Dollywood decided to keep it down. The actual LR crew is supposed to be back in the station today to continue training while Dollywood works on the speed issue. If you are at the park, be sure and watch out for them.

Has it ever unintentionally rolled back on the launch or valleyed in between the first two hills? I feel like it's pretty difficult to nail that sweet spot for the speed. Too fast and it burns its wheels off, too slow and it doesn't make it over the top.

We were at Dollywood this weekend and LR was testing. Also, I thought I posted this last week, but maybe I forgot. The coaster has been officially turned over to Dollywood. It was turned over to Dollywood last Monday, 05.09 and the LR crew has been training and riding the coaster. I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes. They are now looking into this issue and how to slow it down. He also stated the coaster was supposed to open to the public last Wed, 05.11 but because of the speed, Dollywood decided to keep it down. The actual LR crew is supposed to be back in the station today to continue training while Dollywood works on the speed issue. If you are at the park, be sure and watch out for them.

Shoulda bought a launch from an established subcontractor haha.

I was at the park both this past Monday May 9, then again yesterday. Lightning Rod was frequently testing Monday, but I did not notice 1 test run yesterday. We only noticed workers on the lift and on the brake run yesterday. However who knows what that even means.

On the bright side, even with the park as crowded as it was yesterday, Sunday, operations were great. Everything was running at capacity. 4 loading platforms on MM, 3 trains on BF, and both sides of the Barnstormer. The second train even came out for the Tornado, which rarely happens anymore. I forgot how that ride can move people!!

I do love how on very crowded days Dollywood always extends their closing time 1 hour. That definitely helps!!

And the bbq was excellent!!

I agree, lines where very long but Dollywood was handling them as best they could..

And the BBQ was great!! Got the 3 meat Sampler and it was great!! Even went back and got another pulled pork plate to sample other sauces

I wish I tried the Ribs but couldn't eat anymore lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The problem is Dollywood management is full of a bunch of babies. I say crank it up to 150 mph just to claim the overall speed record.

#DOITDOLLY

All jokes aside if they're still having these launch issues at what point do they just give up and go to a new subcontractor? Velocity Magnetics clearly wasn't up to the task and this world class ride is now 2 months delayed and if the main issue still persists its looking like it could be several more weeks before it opens up. I'm gutted for Dollywood and RMC at this point, this must be agony for PR. Magnetic launches are not new technology. Should have bought a MACK? Still just as excited to ride as when the ride was first announced, and I will for sure be there as soon as we get an official opening date, but I feel extra bad for people who live super far from the park.