TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

"Mr. Haney, that's no launch system for a wooden coaster; that's a chicken!"

"Au Contare, Mr. Douglas. I sold one to Dollywood just a few months ago and that coaster runs so fast they won't let anyone ride it."

^LOL! Good one! Picturing this coaster supposedly going 90mph at the bottom of the hill or otherwise seems outrageously fast. That's I-305 speeds except a much smaller hill. Either way it'll never open which is why I'm planning my first every DW trip in July... so it doesn't matter. Agree with Jizzman - unless it's Storm Runner, TTD or the like, I much prefer regular chain lifts where it builds suspense and I can take in the views.

We were at Dollywood this weekend and LR was testing. Also, I thought I posted this last week, but maybe I forgot. The coaster has been officially turned over to Dollywood. It was turned over to Dollywood last Monday, 05.09 and the LR crew has been training and riding the coaster. I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes. They are now looking into this issue and how to slow it down. He also stated the coaster was supposed to open to the public last Wed, 05.11 but because of the speed, Dollywood decided to keep it down. The actual LR crew is supposed to be back in the station today to continue training while Dollywood works on the speed issue. If you are at the park, be sure and watch out for them.

Guys, just warning you... there is A TON of misinformation out there about this ride.

It's pretty insane. Take everything with a grain of salt.

I'd hold off until Lightning Rod opens if anyone is planning to visit on a weekend. The crowds have been huge, lines have been long, etc...Lightning Rod should help crowd levels & wait times throughout the park once it opens.

Yea I was checking my Dollywood App while I was down this past weekend and Mystery Mine kept a constant 1hr+ wait. Tennessee Tornado was around 50 mins. FCE was near 2 hours, Thunderhead was like 20-30, Wild Eagle was 50-1hr. Looked like a pretty packed day.

Was this on a Saturday?

Oh forgot to say that they placed a test seat outside the entrance, and my legs fit! Into the test seat that is. Dunno how RMC's test seats go with accuracy. With Wild Eagle my friend got into the test seat but didn't on the actual train? So if a test seat is there guests can imagine the ride. Dolly is all about imagination you know. Lmao

And Brent, yes it was.

We were at Dollywood this weekend and LR was testing. Also, I thought I posted this last week, but maybe I forgot. The coaster has been officially turned over to Dollywood. It was turned over to Dollywood last Monday, 05.09 and the LR crew has been training and riding the coaster. I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes. They are now looking into this issue and how to slow it down. He also stated the coaster was supposed to open to the public last Wed, 05.11 but because of the speed, Dollywood decided to keep it down. The actual LR crew is supposed to be back in the station today to continue training while Dollywood works on the speed issue. If you are at the park, be sure and watch out for them.

Guys, just warning you... there is A TON of misinformation out there about this ride.

Ok, what makes you sure that there might be a ton of misinformation?

^ Because until anything official comes from the park or RMC, everything you read is a rumor. If you want to believe everything you read on the internet, you can, but you're going to be absurdly misinformed.

My friend told me that his sister's ex is a ride op working on Lightning Rod right now and they had the thing going 120mph at one point and it flew off the track somewhere in the middle and actually landed safely on the brake run. She said there was a video of it but it accidentally got deleted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Mater

Ride builders don't just give up on rides. It's not like RMC said, "F it, it's good enough. It's Dollywoods problem now." RMC and the management probably came to an agreement that RMC had fulfilled their contract. Now Dollywood is tweaking the ride to their liking. Or, as is more likely the case, getting ready to burn it to the ground.

Either that, or their changing the name to America's Orphan Rocker.

#Itllneveropen

This is quite possibly, the best post I have read in 2016!

Have you been living under a rock or just been distracted by Dolly comforting you by this gross misjustice to theme park goers across the planet in the warmth of her boosm?

Dolly's going to be on tour soon, and she comes to Vancouver, in September.

(EDIT: Sorry, but I had to check the main Dolly site for the right dates.)

I'm not going, but if she ever had a question period from the audience? What a scream

that would be, if somebody actually asks her about the coaster! And of course, what

her answer would be. Or not. (If it's not open....by then)

EDIT to add: AHA! They'll open the coaster, when she starts her tour!

Have you been living under a rock or just been distracted by Dolly comforting you by this gross misjustice to theme park goers across the planet in the warmth of her boosm?

That's a really nice comment from you, sounds like you're a respectful person...

The info above seemed legit to me, so I would have thought that this could be true.

That's a really nice comment from you, sounds like you're a respectful person...

The info above seemed legit to me, so I would have thought that this could be true.

Anything can seem legit. And given the number of non-legit things in this very thread one could reasonably assume anything that comes from TGIFridays or otherwise not the park might not be totally accurate. Park employees love to $@$@^%!$% with the nerdy enthusiasts who 95% of the time eat it up.

Here's the thing, and it's been said many times before on this very site, people who know keep their yaps shut, those who don't, well...

policesquad_stoolie.png?w=400&h=301

"I need some solid info about the Lightning Rod coaster Johnny. I've tried the Dippin' Dots guy, the drunk at TGIF's, even the taffy puller at Dollywood, but all I get is bum information! I'm counting on ya Johnny; give me the real low-down on this thing."

"The word on the street is. . . #ItllNeverOpen."

policesquad_stoolie.png?w=400&h=301

"I need some solid info about the Lightning Rod coaster Johnny. I've tried the Dippin' Dots guy, the drunk at TGIF's, even the taffy puller at Dollywood, but all I get is bum information! I'm counting on ya Johnny; give me the real low-down on this thing."

"The word on the street is. . . #ItllNeverOpen."

Probably the most reliable source we have seen yet.

#Itllneveropen

Sent from my iPad deeply inserted in my anus using elbow length rubber gloves.

So a TV show (not sure which one I think Home&Family TV) was apparently at Dollywood yesterday and today and let 10 people on LR in order to film their show. So my question is if they can film the show and let 10 people on, what's the hold up?

First off, proof? Secondly, hollywood insurance policies.