TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Not saying that they will add inversions, because I really think they wont, but RMC has done these kinds of things before. TC's top gun stall rotates in the opposite direction, and WC's weird "double reversing airtime hill" thing is less insane in real life than the animation, plus an outwards banking hill was added to the end of the layout. RMC likes to make last minute changes to their coasters, and I wouldn't be surprised if the real ride is a tiny bit different from the rendering.

^Like this?

(P.S. Dollywood does have Google StreetView, so you can probably grab some more screenshots that way.)

I couldn't spot any on Street View, I'll check again. What I'm looking for are those posts with all the different directional signs on them. Wilderness Pass this way, Owen's Farm that way, Thunderhead some other way, etc.

Those specific signs might have only just been installed for the 2015 season.

There really isn't a lot of signs like that in the park. I do know there is one on the walking path past Blazing Fury on the way to Tennessee Tornado. I believe it tells you the distance to Wild Eagle and FireChaser Express.

These are the white sign posts with the butterfly on top. There are actually quite a few of them throughout the park. They were added last year. Sorry I don't have pics, but that might help somebody out there remember what you're looking for.

^It may not have a lower than 48" height requirement. The point of my post was that Dollywood wants the ride to appeal to the family crowd, whether that is more of a perception thing or literally a lower height requirement so more kids can ride.

Ok I get it, but actually that's not the first time I heard the height requirement was different on RMCs with or without inversions, and it really makes me wonder.

As for Dollywood, no inversions is logical indeed. Although with a ride with such thrilling elements (launch, steep drop, wave turns, etc.), it wouldn't matter that much and adding inversion would not change the targeted market. At least I think, but the GP in the US is different than the GP in Europe (especially France), so I might be wrong.

I don't expect inversions to be added to LR either. I'm not really sure where this speculation of one being added even originated. I could assume simply out of boredom but how could anyone find boredom when you have LR to look forward to?

So I was at the park yesterday and snapped off a few pics. Construction on Lightning Rod is progressing very quickly. I did not include a cinnamon bread report as they are great and it would just be redundant. Oh cinnamon bread you are so awesome... ...blah, blah blah. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am never one to say anything bad about Dwood. I love the park, and more so, the woman who it is named after. With that said, I did snap off what I would consider to be a very a troubling picture. I know they love to bathe in their Smokey Mountain, back wood roots, but I fear even they may have backed the trailer just a wee bit far into the back of the park.

With that said, I give you pictures!

Thank you and enjoy your LR TR. May the baby Jesus bless you and keep you.

0919151715_HDR.thumb.jpg.3eb33bd644372815aba14a5641a0c605.jpg

Overview of Lightning Rod! It's all flamey and speedy! Oooooooo and dare I say hubcappy!

0919151716_HDR.thumb.jpg.fd2fead1e05f759049d5a03740b44414.jpg

The right side of the building.

0919151716a_HDR.thumb.jpg.3f1d5e183ffa6485d8e04329c6393995.jpg

The wrong side of the building.

ATT_1442791345670_0919151713.thumb.jpg.69943b146f9f7ed65954c1d8b28714c1.jpg

Looking up the hill. This monster has a deceptively long launch.

ATT_1442791357048_0919151713_HDR.thumb.jpg.9ad434c127009d2ea96de3e693b7881f.jpg

A bit further back by the entrance to River Rampage. This thing is gonna be impressive looking as it launches over the ravine. Me Likey!

ATT_1442791368318_0919151709.thumb.jpg.a99fde77514ae5f77a4ca7bc5a4f82c5.jpg

Even further back. Kinda looks like the steeple on a church spire.

ATT_1442791381836_0919151706.thumb.jpg.70314d47c3f050fe62e5870b3c7cac22.jpg

Not only through the trees, but through the trees and the railroad bridge crossing. Beat that! (drops mic)

ATT_1442791479457_0919151255.thumb.jpg.b8ac705f99f758562995b7b2b28fd63d.jpg

And finally, the thing that troubled me just a bit. I have always had great experiences with their guest services, but I think their infant services could use a bit of improvement.

Anyhoo! Great day! Great park! Great cinnamon bread! Can't wait for Lightning Rod! Peace, Loves and Trash-barrel babies! I'm out! Guy!

This is what I have that's correct so far haha. The angles are what's so difficult. Lightning Rod, from the animation is VERY curvy. Like I mean I was watching closely and there's hardly one spot where you going straight. You're going at different angles constantly. I mean the Twist N Shout, which is pictured (needs adjusting) is even at a sharp angle. Building this on No Limits does give a great perspective of how it will nestle perfectly it that valley/ravine.

image.thumb.jpeg.be8d38d954281b60efd39568027c7284.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e41491307e646c6de15e5898c8055e29.jpeg

From the animation the layout I can garner goes launch lift, airtime hill, drop, series of twisting overbanks, airtime hill, overbank, quadruple down, overbank, airtime hill, non-inverting loop, helix, airtime hill, brake run. This is probably wrong, but it's my blind observation.