TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the pics and info. Even though a lot of people will remain unsatisfied until a major steel coaster is announced, it looks like the park is on the right path and doing everything possible to make it great in other ways at the moment. Thanks for keeping us updated--definitely appreciated, even if it might not always seem like it.

Thanks for the pics and info. Even though a lot of people will remain unsatisfied until a major steel coaster is announced, it looks like the park is on the right path and doing everything possible to make it great in other ways at the moment. Thanks for keeping us updated--definitely appreciated, even if it might not always seem like it.

I don't think it's even a steel thing. Give the park a coaster that isn't 27 years old from another park and lie about it.......people are unsatisfied because there isn't a big ticket re-rideable attraction worth visiting/coming back for. JL was a great, needed, addition; but address the elephant in the room............

Awesome pic report! Really cool to see the other areas of the park from a different perspective. Cheers.

Okay, okay, scratch that... either a steel hyper, major new steel of some variety (but not gimmicky), or an RMC wooden coaster. I think what you're getting at is something modern and exciting.

My home park is SF America so I'm no stranger to this debacle. IMHO Batman at SFStL is better than anything at SF America, but it isn't new or exciting. With the potential that is Boss as an RMC candidate and the lack of a hyper coaster, it makes sense that people aren't satisfied. Superman at SFA is honestly a very mediocre hyper coaster, but can you imagine how sad that park would be without it?

Okay, okay, scratch that... either a steel hyper, major new steel of some variety (but not gimmicky), or an RMC wooden coaster. I think what you're getting at is something modern and exciting.

My home park is SF America so I'm no stranger to this debacle. IMHO Batman at SFStL is better than anything at SF America, but it isn't new or exciting. With the potential that is Boss as an RMC candidate and the lack of a hyper coaster, it makes sense that people aren't satisfied. Superman at SFA is honestly a very mediocre hyper coaster, but can you imagine how sad that park would be without it?

Yes, exactly. ANYTHING modern. Also, I think HWFan and his accomplices have confirmed NO to the Boss being RMC'd as it's too long of a track and, OF COURSE, SF won't spend the money *insert eye roll*

I also think everyone feels extremely jipped as Goliath was last second scratched from SFStL for Georgia. So the park feels owed, as it should. The coaster line up is decent, but uninspiring. I'd rather, and do, drive to Kansas City for WoF.

For a good part of the drive, we were in places where there wasn't anything to even photograph besides trees. I did get to see some cool pieces of history and hear stories. For example, the park used to hold demolition derby style events. In the boneyard area, there are a bunch of rusting, white, steel poles that were used to hold the cables to protect the people in the bleachers in case a truck went off course. There are also a few different generations of roads, with the most recent being from the Shapiro era. Apparently Shapiro noticed that trucks and other park vehicles could be seen sometimes, so he had them build a road behind the trees.

Also, something that makes me (and I'm sure many enthusiasts) jealous is that Dave said he likes to walk the roads around Boss/Eagle in the mornings sometimes before work. Also, there is still a well-hidden Batmobile on property. The reason it isn't in front of the ride is due to the older style of the vehicle (DC didn't like it).

EDIT: Just went back and looked at some old pictures of the RSF. Based on the picture vs the pictures I have of it on the truck beds, some of it has probably already left for Canada. Maybe you'll pass it on the highway.

A well hidden batmobile on the property? I guess no chance for photos of that?

Unfortunately no pics of the Batmobile, but you should be able to catch a glimpse of it when visiting the park as a Guest.

Thanks for this off-season look at Six Flags St. Louis. I rather liked this park when TPR stopped there during the 2010 Mid-America Tour (especially Mr. Freeze).

I'm really looking forward to how the park changes and improves over the next few years. If you haven't visited since 2010, then you should be in for a very pleasant surprise, if you visit again. If you're into the Fright Fest stuff, the bar keeps being raised higher and higher.

Thanks so much for taking the time to bring us this report. I really always appreciate your input on the park.

Since being employed in April of 2013, I can't even begin to guess how many hours I've spent on these forums, but I've loved every second of it. I think it's fun to share something I'm so passionate about with other people who are big fans of the industry.

That was an awesome trip report! Thank you so much! What area of the park was that construction trailer with the old Glow in the Park Parade sign?

It was in the boneyard, East of the park. Speaking of the land East of the park, these are two random screenshots my computer accidentally took of public webistes, so I'm not giving out any kind of information should there even be information that exists...or something...

1753721868_ScreenShot2015-12-03at10_10_32AM.thumb.png.0ede5a7f306edbd54d43e5da6aacae7b.png

531256064_ScreenShot2015-12-03at10_10_46AM.png.046f4a630fbd08cec980d221cb23317b.png

Sorry about that. Actually, while there are a good amount of non-STL visitors to this forum, one thing you may not realize is just how much land the park owns...or...well I guess...I mean...whatever. The entire area highlighted in yellow from the picture above is...well...SFSL property. Annnnnnyway, back to the coaster talk!

Edited by HWFan

The Bat Mobile has been sitting outside unprotected for years, and unfortunately, sitting outside for so long has taken its toll. It has been sitting between the Boss and the Warehouse area. A few years back, there was talk to refurb it and somehow use it again, but it has obviously never happened.

batmobilelocation.png.96588845c4df87208f712b39de136d1b.png

Speaking of the land East of the park, these are two random screenshots my computer accidentally took of public webistes, so I'm not giving out any kind of information should there even be information that exists...or something...

^"Am I a pretty girl?" -Spongebob Squarepants circa 2005

Anyway, I had some time to kill, so after stabbing that time to death with a dagger, I sat down at my computer and played around with some aerial pictures to show the route we took as well as identifying different buildings & points of reference.

Shot1.png.2b4f78bdef57ec6c73d62ba27f53dca9.png

812567979_Shot2.thumb.png.8d907a996ed62d18f200a122528c76b1.png

969651246_Shot3.png.f191cf4bd775b2f6e3f251b3d6414ea9.png

468593192_Shot4.png.63a6877b0aa7a35d42b69beaddc406ea.png

Awesome pics, HWFan! I've often wondered what happened to the Batmobile. I figured it just fell into disrepair so it was removed. They still have one at Six Flags Great America.

I remember the Demolition Derby's. They had an area set up just past the tidal wave. I actually watched a few of them. I think they had a few motorcycle races there as well.

Isn't part of that land to the East what the park was wanting to sell off?

Awesome pics, HWFan! I've often wondered what happened to the Batmobile. I figured it just fell into disrepair so it was removed. They still have one at Six Flags Great America.

I remember the Demolition Derby's. They had an area set up just past the tidal wave. I actually watched a few of them. I think they had a few motorcycle races there as well.

Isn't part of that land to the East what the park was wanting to sell off?

You're exactly right....in that they used to have motorcycle races as well.

Is RSF's old queue going to need expansion for Fireball? Do you suppose they will fix the horrid landscaping between RSF and the train?

I'm not sure about the queue. Looking at the parks who added them in 2015, I would assume the current queue will suffice. Even putting up a few blue stanchions along the midway with rope for a short period if needed would probably be better than the cost of pouring the concrete and adding the metal rails to extend that queue...if there's even room, as it is in a very tight space on the side of the hill.

I really haven't paid much attention to the landscaping this year, but last I remember, it was planted with neat little rows of bright colored flowers. I know that the landscaping has also been being improved recently, so I would assume it'll look really nice (especially in front of the new attraction). Here are the only pics of the landscaping I was able to find:

1349259365_ScreenShot2015-12-03at3_28_06PM.png.429dd395cd7b1bc77322911e0a487da9.png

Photo Credit: larrygator (http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=51&linkid=5169)

729985645_ScreenShot2015-12-03at3_29_39PM.png.02b249e2c8906b65fb2d48e6928aae37.png

Photo Credit: boistl (http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/0805_0054.jpg)

1679888538_ScreenShot2015-12-03at3_30_59PM.png.d09682e4e97dc24b6f2be4970d2bc457.png

Photo Credit: (http://www.worldsoffun.org/pictures/sfsl//rushstreetflyer2med.jpg)

Yes, exactly. ANYTHING modern. Also, I think HWFan and his accomplices have confirmed NO to the Boss being RMC'd as it's too long of a track and, OF COURSE, SF won't spend the money *insert eye roll*

Thrilled to hear this. Boss is fine the way it is provided they give it the appropriate care. Admittedly, this is more than a typical wooden coaster would get because it's a giant terrain coaster. The best RMC StL could get is a RMC built from scratch...unless they want to take a shot at Ninja.

Thrilled to hear this. Boss is fine the way it is provided they give it the appropriate care. Admittedly, this is more than a typical wooden coaster would get because it's a giant terrain coaster. The best RMC StL could get is a RMC built from scratch...unless they want to take a shot at Ninja.

Dave and I both agreed that we would much rather see RMC come and put topper track on the Boss (which would cost less). They could change the banking or profile a tad here and there to add to the thrill but nothing over the top. The Boss' biggest problem is really the Gerstlauer trains. Holiday World was lucky to get rid of there's on the Legend pretty quickly. Topper track would also allow the ride to run whenever it is colder, and it would minimize the chance of the trains getting stuck in a valley. Gerstlauer's trains are so bad that the Boss had to run PTCs from Screamin' Eagle for media day, as the G trains wouldn't complete the circuit. Even today, the park is lucky to have a fantastic rides crew who knows the Boss really well. One of my good friends is the rides supervisor over that whole area of the parks (the park is separated into three areas, in terms of rides), and she loves the Boss. Each train (three total) has its own quirks and things you have to do.

You probably have never seen them, but there are a couple off-the-shelf yard sprinklers attached to the second huge turn around after the MCBR. They run them almost every morning before the park opens. Then, as the days get colder, there is one train (can't remember which color) that sometimes gets parked on the lift hill in order to warm up by sunning itself.

In the end, it's a case of Six Flags purchased a product from a company that ended up having some issues. Hearing stories and seeing things myself, it really amazes me how much work the rides staff put into making sure that the Boss can run three trains as much as possible. They truly go above and beyond what basic standard operating procedure would be to keep the line moving.

Dave and I both agreed that we would much rather see RMC come and put topper track on the Boss (which would cost less). They could change the banking or profile a tad here and there to add to the thrill but nothing over the top. The Boss' biggest problem is really the Gerstlauer trains. Holiday World was lucky to get rid of there's on the Legend pretty quickly. Topper track would also allow the ride to run whenever it is colder, and it would minimize the chance of the trains getting stuck in a valley. Gerstlauer's trains are so bad that the Boss had to run PTCs from Screamin' Eagle for media day, as the G trains wouldn't complete the circuit. Even today, the park is lucky to have a fantastic rides crew who knows the Boss really well. One of my good friends is the rides supervisor over that whole area of the parks (the park is separated into three areas, in terms of rides), and she loves the Boss. Each train (three total) has its own quirks and things you have to do.

You probably have never seen them, but there are a couple off-the-shelf yard sprinklers attached to the second huge turn around after the MCBR. They run them almost every morning before the park opens. Then, as the days get colder, there is one train (can't remember which color) that sometimes gets parked on the lift hill in order to warm up by sunning itself.

In the end, it's a case of Six Flags purchased a product from a company that ended up having some issues. Hearing stories and seeing things myself, it really amazes me how much work the rides staff put into making sure that the Boss can run three trains as much as possible. They truly go above and beyond what basic standard operating procedure would be to keep the line moving.

And also Topper Track would make it re-ridable, as it would smooth it out and cause less Headaches and Bodily Injuries

HWFan, first of all, I want to thank you for all the photos and information you are sharing with us. It is helpful to understand what is going on behind the scenes (even if I still don't agree on all the decisions). I agree that the topper track would be a better choice than Iron Horsing it. It is easy to compare it to high ranking coasters made since it (Outlaw Run, El Toro, Voyage, etc.). The layout is still one of the best I have experienced for a wooden coaster and many parks I have been to (Kings Dominion, SFOT, SFFT, SFMM, WOF, Busch Gardens Williamsburg) lack a wooden track coaster that is this tall and intense. The long line is evidence to value of this coaster, the primary problem is the roughness which I agree 100% is due to the trains. It is rough but not unbearably rough as the Rattler was in its last years where I was convinced I was going to have broken ribs from it in comparison.

HWFan, can you explain to me to help me understand why in light of these RMC conversions happening at so many other SF parks, why SFSTL doesn't just take a newly retired PTC train (or even better a Millennium Flyer train) fix it up and replace these clearly unreliable, painful, and thoroughly unlikable Gerstlauer trains?