TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

And I wholeheartedly agree, I REALLY hope this doesn't become a regular thing. No matter how good the ride may end up being, I'll hate seeing woodies disappear in lieu of steel track.

Would you honestly rather have a crap-tastic wooden coaster that no one enjoys, or a new 'steel-wood-hybrid' that offers a superior ride experience and more thrills? Companies are not going to do this to GOOD wooden coasters, rather the ones that have lost their appeal, have low ridership and that most people pass up on a visit. I certainly enjoy wooden coasters, as my top two overall are wooden, but Texas Giant, as well as a few other woodens are at the bottom.

I think this is a great move, and is really exciting to see a new concept like this come into fruition.

I don't want it to succeed because I don't want any chance that SoB could be given a new lease on life. It just needs to be torn down...

-James Dillaman

While I can't say that I want this project to fail for Six Flags, I do totally agree that it would be bad news for Kings Island to try this on SoB. Let's hope Cedar Fair doesn't want to go this route on their rides. SoB was never that great of a ride. Please just demolish that ride. Hopefully Texas Giant is one that still has some life left in it, though.

And I wholeheartedly agree, I REALLY hope this doesn't become a regular thing. No matter how good the ride may end up being, I'll hate seeing woodies disappear in lieu of steel track.

Would you honestly rather have a crap-tastic wooden coaster that no one enjoys, or a new 'steel-wood-hybrid' that offers a superior ride experience and more thrills? Companies are not going to do this to GOOD wooden coasters, rather the ones that have lost their appeal, have low ridership and that most people pass up on a visit. I certainly enjoy wooden coasters, as my top two overall are wooden, but Texas Giant, as well as a few other woodens are at the bottom.

I think this is a great move, and is really exciting to see a new concept like this come into fruition.

Call me a woodie fanboy. There aren't nearly enough left in the world, and if they want a steel coaster, just build a steel coaster. $10M can get you a lot, it just seems strange to spend it rehabbing a ride that was growing more and more unpopular, and then on top of that, take away its wooden status. Wooden coaster engineering is at an insanely all-time high, so put the $10M towards a brand new one. I believe El Toro only cost a little more than that, Gravity Group's coasters have gone for way less than that, and GCIs are comparable to that price tag, depending on length and other factors.

What I'm most excited about is that this is something completely new. I never rode the original Texas Giant, and I hate to chalk it up as another credit I'll miss, so I was disappointed to hear that this coaster would not be reincarnated to retain its wooden status. However, I think this new track technology is at least worth a shot to see if it improves the ride experience, which I'm betting it will do. Being nostalgic for a coaster just because it's made of wood is not enough reason to keep it if it's a truly awful ride. Sure, one could just tear it down and call in Great Coasters or the Gravity Group to build something new, but then we'd lose the opportunity to experiment with this technology. Better to try it on a ride that desperately needs a rehab than one that doesn't. If the Texas Giant was really as legendary as some have claimed it to be when it originally opened, then I'm highly anticipating what a second lease on life could do to it, even if it will change the track layout a little and re-classify it as a steel tracked ride. It's all part of the excitement of building a prototype.

~Megan

Question: Has the ride lost riders in the last few years for them to do this? If so, do they think that more people enjoy steel rides better than wood, or is it just this ride only? It doesn't make sense to me. My prayer is that I hope this doesn't start a new trend.

Oh yeah, it really has. Many people won't ride it on there visit due to shear pain, I mean, it really was painfull. We used to use it as barters for bets. If so and so happens you have to ride in the back of the Giant.

im just hoping for a smoother ride. i live an hour away and consider myself an annual (at least) visitor of the park. the last few times i have been on Texas Giant i came off with a a terrible headache. i love the ride and the history but its just not safe anymore. im ready for its new opening!!!

^ Colossus' ORIGINAL layout, or what most people know prior to the double dip being removed. If SFMM restored the 1978 version, they'd have two flying coasters---only with Colossus, riders would really fly!

Trust me, I rode it then...

Eric

As did I my friend, as did I. And I must say, it was memorable, exciting, and liberating. I can honestly say, that is the coaster that created the enthusiast you see before your eyes today. I have only come close to that kind of ride on one other coaster. El Toro.

I have to think you guys MUST have been on WAAAAY better coasters since then or perhaps your membory is a bit clouded? I also rode Colossus in 1978 and yes, the original profile was MUCH better than it currently is today, but I personally don't think it's as good as you guys are making it out to be, and I'm also probably assuming that, like me, when you had ridden Colossus I'll bet you've been on less than 10 other woodies at that time. For example, in 1978, Colossus was the ONLY wooden coaster I had ever been on, so sure it makes my memory of that ride even more spectacular. BUT...

I'd put it on par with the current Grand National at Blackpool as far as racing coasters go. (Actually, I think Grand National has MORE ejector airtime than Colossus ever did!)

But really, all of the woodies in my top ten are EASILY better than Colossus' original layout. (El Toro, Phoenix, Raven, T Express, Balder, Ravine Flyer II, Rampage, etc... holy crap, RAMPAGE! I never got an awesome ASS KICKING on the original Colossus as I did on last year's Rampage ERT!!!) There is NO FREAKING WAY that if Colossus was reverted back to it's original layout that it would even compete with some of the best woodies of today. If anything, after all that work was done, YES it would be better, absoultely, but I think most people would be all "Really? This is what it was like? This isn't THAT much different!!!"

Sure, it would have knocked out most of it's competition in 1978, but compared to some of the woodies built in the past 32 years, no way.

--Robb "Just my opinion, but I think the 'legend' of Colossus is better than how the actual ride was." Alvey

I am honestly very excited about this. I rode The Texas Giant in its glory days, I can assure you... it was amazing!! If they can restore its amazingness with steel track, then so be it!! The added height and elements will just be a plus to the orignal!!

Edited by cedarpointfangirl

Call me a woodie fanboy. There aren't nearly enough left in the world, and if they want a steel coaster, just build a steel coaster. $10M can get you a lot, it just seems strange to spend it rehabbing a ride that was growing more and more unpopular, and then on top of that, take away its wooden status. Wooden coaster engineering is at an insanely all-time high, so put the $10M towards a brand new one. I believe El Toro only cost a little more than that, Gravity Group's coasters have gone for way less than that, and GCIs are comparable to that price tag, depending on length and other factors.

I'm with you. I hate the thought of losing another woodie here in Texas when we have so few darn few as it is. I never found TG unbearable to ride although it certainly went downhill in recent years. I wonder how many people who only rode once chose a wheel seat. It's true on all wooden coasters, but on TG especially, sitting over a wheel was just asking for it. I always enjoyed the night ERTs on it at Lone Star Coasterthons, but admit it could be rather lackluster during the daytime.

Honestly, I wish they'd just rebuild the original layout with Intamin pre-fab track. The ride in its prime was a masterpiece with one of the most wicked finales ever on a wooden coaster.

I'm a little surprised they are trying out this track type for the first time on such a BIG coaster. I'm sure they've done their homework, but it's a bit of a risk and huge investment to attempt such a large prototype.

^ Colossus' ORIGINAL layout, or what most people know prior to the double dip being removed. If SFMM restored the 1978 version, they'd have two flying coasters---only with Colossus, riders would really fly!

Trust me, I rode it then...

Eric

As did I my friend, as did I. And I must say, it was memorable, exciting, and liberating. I can honestly say, that is the coaster that created the enthusiast you see before your eyes today. I have only come close to that kind of ride on one other coaster. El Toro.

I have to think you guys MUST have been on WAAAAY better coasters since then or perhaps your membory is a bit clouded? I also rode Colossus in 1978 and yes, the original profile was MUCH better than it currently is today, but I personally don't think it's as good as you guys are making it out to be, and I'm also probably assuming that, like me, when you had ridden Colossus I'll bet you've been on less than 10 other woodies at that time. For example, in 1978, Colossus was the ONLY wooden coaster I had ever been on, so sure it makes my memory of that ride even more spectacular. BUT...

I'd put it on par with the current Grand National at Blackpool as far as racing coasters go. (Actually, I think Grand National has MORE ejector airtime than Colossus ever did!)

But really, all of the woodies in my top ten are EASILY better than Colossus' original layout. (El Toro, Phoenix, Raven, T Express, Balder, Ravine Flyer II, Rampage, etc... holy crap, RAMPAGE! I never got an awesome A$$ KICKING on the original Colossus as I did on last year's Rampage ERT!!!) There is NO FREAKING WAY that if Colossus was reverted back to it's original layout that it would even compete with some of the best woodies of today. If anything, after all that work was done, YES it would be better, absoultely, but I think most people would be all "Really? This is what it was like? This isn't THAT much different!!!"

Sure, it would have knocked out most of it's competition in 1978, but compared to some of the woodies built in the past 32 years, no way.

--Robb "Just my opinion, but I think the 'legend' of Colossus is better than how the actual ride was." Alvey

Yes I was young when I rode it . (11) I had only ridden one other wooden coaster at that time, I think. (Giant Dipper @ Belmont Park.) I just remember getting off of it and being thrilled! OMG Thrilled like never before! I try to take what others say about rides with a grain of salt so I can enjoy a coaster as much as possible, but honestly, the only two other wooden coasters that I have gotten off of recently that gave me that much thrill have been El Taco, & Boulder Dash. Thinking back in the past 10 years, Ghostrider the year it opened blew me away as well. But that memory is the reason It still ranks in my top 20 wood. I have this amazing sentimental attachment to it.

Now I havn't ridden most of the coasters you mentioned. When I do, I honestly hope they do give me that thrilling feeling that I learned to crave from riding Colossus.

Guy "I am always searching for that special feeling again." Koepp

Robb is probably right about the Colossus not being that much better with the old profile. Kennywood's Racer used to have a small midcourse dip, but that was until they wanted the possibility of running 2 sets of trains at the same time and decided to make it straight instead. That small dip was probably nothing special, so who cares I guess.

Wood? Steel? I honestly don't care how they classify it. If it makes The Texas Giant a better, smoother, more reliable and thrilling ride, that's all that really matters.

Just my opinion...

Absolutely.

I think Wes was right. SF is doing this just so enthusiasts can argue themselves in circles for the next few years. Who cares what they call it, if it is better.

Wood? Steel? I honestly don't care how they classify it. If it makes The Texas Giant a better, smoother, more reliable and thrilling ride, that's all that really matters.

Just my opinion...

I have the same exact opinion! ^^^^The red rails wouldn't make it ugly even though It would be nice if they painted the rails, I wouldn't mind the red rails.

I saw the idea for the steel track, and I really think they should totally just re-name the thing because they are getting away from the purpose that the ride was intended for. Why couldn't they just have replaced the pieces in the same position? Of course Bigger is always better...

I don't want it to succeed because I don't want any chance that SoB could be given a new lease on life. It just needs to be torn down...

-James Dillaman

While I can't say that I want this project to fail for Six Flags, I do totally agree that it would be bad news for Kings Island to try this on SoB. Let's hope Cedar Fair doesn't want to go this route on their rides. SoB was never that great of a ride. Please just demolish that ride. Hopefully Texas Giant is one that still has some life left in it, though.

Why would Cedar Fair do anything with SoB when they've had the world's largest pile of crap stinking up the tip of Cedar Point for a lot longer than SoB has even been around?