TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

To avoid yet another discussion on Hi Britts (thanks Chuck ), how about my review of Hades?

Pictures and a full review can be seen here, but basically the new and improved Hades is hands-down the best ride I've ever ridden. I'm not sure where people are getting the vibe that the ride is just as rough as before; as Hades' probably biggest fan, the difference between the past few years and this year is nothing short of astounding. The retracked sections, including the notorious curve past the station, are completely amazing and the new corkscrew and curve is bizarre and incredible.

In short, get out here and ride this ride (just be absolutely sure to ride in the front seat for the full experience).

BTW, the footage looks perfect Scotty!

I was at the park this past Sunday afternoon. After riding Hades in its first year of operation, and numerous times thereafter, I felt that the ride was improved from its final few years of operation before being converted into Hades 360. Here's my thoughts after getting in 8 rides (6 back, 2 front)

The Good:

The Timberliners were extremely comfortable. For a smaller rider like myself, they seemed to feel both safe and thrilling at the same time. The 360 was an awesome inversion as well. I loved the headchopper effect created by the catwalk, and the centerlining on the inversion was excellent!

The Bad:

The beginning of the ride was in need of retracking. The airtime hills were so taken so quickly that they were actually pretty painful. Aside from that area, the bottom of the first drop and some track prior to the final helix were pretty painful as well.

Overall:

The 360 degrees is a definite improvement from what Hades became in the last few years. It is running nowhere near as well as it did when the ride first opened, but wasn't bad. The new track sections still vibrated quite a bit as well. The painful moments unfortunately outweighed the great moments, although I hope that Mt. Olympus can continue to retrack sections of their rides. I personally thought they did a great job on retracking Cyclops (with the exception of the ending), and if they can continue to do so, they would have at least one top 10 ride. As of now, the rides were too rough to enjoy the truly exceptional moments.

It sounds like Hades 360 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

It was a gimmick to get people through the gates and it worked. Mount Olympus didn't retrack the entire ride, they just added a corkscrew and convinced people to come to the park to ride it.

Sounds like it worked out fine for them

It sounds like Hades 360 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

It was a gimmick to get people through the gates and it worked. Mount Olympus didn't retrack the entire ride, they just added a corkscrew and convinced people to come to the park to ride it.

Sounds like it worked out fine for them

I feel the same way! if they really cared they would have re-tracked the entire thing and added a 2nd train

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsindellsevents/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_ca545120-d2e0-11e2-b20a-0019bb2963f4.html

Workers demolished the old pool at the former Pine Dell Motel Monday, at the request of Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park’s owner, who has achieved yet another expansion of his business along the Wisconsin Dells Parkway by having purchased the motel in April.

Nick Laskaris, owner of Mt. Olympus, noticed his advanced bookings were on an uptick, so he bought the former Pine Dell Motel that was adjacent to other properties he had purchased. The Pine Dell Motel, like other properties he’s taken over recently, will be used as additional sleeping quarters for his guests.

“It was a great match for us....” Laskaris said in an interview Monday in his office at Hotel Rome, the central overnight accommodation where guests staying at his other motels register. He added that it was ideal because he has reunited the two nearby properties, the Pine Dell Motel and one formerly known as Four Seasons Hotel.

Laskaris said his goal is to continue to clean up the Strip and make it appear new.

Pine Dell Motel rooms will receive new fixtures, toilets, bathtubs and beds, according to Laskaris. The exterior will be painted blue and white, the colors of Greece, to match the rest of his overnight lodging accommodations. “That way there will be no doubt when a visitor comes to the Dells that they are entering into a Mt. Olympus Resort,” Laskaris said.

The closing on the property was April 30, which Laskaris said has let him reach the goal of having slightly more than 1,000 hotel units. He had to take down the old Pine Dell Motel pool out of concerns for safety and also to encourage the use of the other attractions at his park, Laskaris said. Play at the water and theme park is included in the hotel charge on the check-in and check-out days, Laskaris said.

He said his park is unique because it offers both wet and dry rides with the same admission. His park spans 180 acres and includes a new wooden roller coaster that can take riders upside down.

Even though Laskaris expects attendance at his park to be up because of the amount of advanced bookings, having extra motel space for visitors that come especially because the new Hades 360 roller coaster opened can’t hurt. “I know the lines have been very long already,” Laskaris said about the people waiting to ride it.

Pine Dell Motel will be ready for occupation by the Fourth of July weekend and will be renamed Mt. Olympus Village. The names of the other properties he owns are Hotel Rome and Mt. Olympus Camp Resort, which has accommodations in tree houses and tent sites.

The park also added 50 new cabins for employee housing, according to Laskaris.

The park now employs more than 800 full- and part-time employees, Laskaris said.

Laskaris confirmed that the last property he bought was the Copa Cabana Resort Hotel & Suites. He took it over in 2011.

Laskaris said in an interview then that he had different names for all of the lodgings he has taken over, like Zeus’ Village and Mykonos Village, Mykonos Resort, Santorini Village and Poseidon’s Village. But he has decided to call them all by the same name, Mt. Olympus Village.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 1 month later...

Why are you guys complaining about Hades being painful? It wasn't even that rough in late 2011 in the back seat, let alone painful. If you really want a painful woodie, go ride back seat on the other great god named ride.

I'm going to be going to this park in a few weeks (first weekend of August) and I have a few questions. First, someone mentioned roughness on the park's woodies, and I was wondering if there's anything I need to be careful of in that regard (I have a bad back and have to be careful of rough woodies - normally I just ride in the front seat the first time, or close to the front). Also, how crowded is the park normally on a weekday in August (I will probably be there on a Wed or Thurs)? What policy does this park have regarding bags or fanny packs (in other words, can bags be left behind in bins on rides or must they be stored elsewhere, and do they make you remove fanny packs to ride)? Finally, does anyone know of any discounts available for park admission and where I might find them? Any other advice?

^From what I've read, stay off all off the coasters except Hades 360. Everybody says that they don't maintain their woodies so they're all really rough. From the reports, Hades 360 has it's rough parts, but the new trains are suppose to help with roughness. It also looks like the park only runs one-train operation on all coasters, so I would expect there to be a long wait on the coasters.

Cyclops isn't too bad, the only rough part is the turn after the big drop. It's airtime makes up for it though. Zeus I would only ride in the front. Pegasus should be fine anywhere, but front of course is better.

As for crowds, in my experience weekdays have never been that bad no matter what time of the year it is. Getting on all the coasters shouldn't be a problem, the go karts and lower water park is where the lines get bad so you'd need longer if you plan on doing those too.

Backpacks and fanny packs can be left in the station. There's no bins or anything but since all the coasters are one train you don't have to worry about someone taking them. Not sure what the rules are for the go karts.

If you're staying over night a lot of hotels offer free or discounted tickets. If not, Club TPR has discounts.

Heading back on thursday after a stop to SFGAm today. From my past experiences, Zues and Pegasus are 1 and dones. A bit rough, and relatively forceless. As for the other 2, Hades was alright before the mod-but I'll have to see what the corkscrew does in a few days As for Cyclops, that thing is still fighting Phoenix and Voyage for my favorite woody. Airtime on that ride is phenominal-especially if you ride back seat by yourself...Only coaster where I've ever been launched over the seat divider TWICE during the same ride....

• 3 weeks later...

So, this story surfaced today, and I'm just curious to hear your thoughts. This woman posted a Facebook status and it caught the eye of several people. (Posted below). Digging deeper into the story, apparently, she was asked to leave the park after she refused to cover a tattoo that read "BITCH" across her stomach (Photo link posted below as well). Her Facebook post consists of her complaining how awful the park was and ruined her day. The Facebook post goes as follows:

"I am absolutely CRUSHED. I know I won't make that huge of a difference in my lil corner of the world/Facebook-land BUT reserved a room at Mt Olympus for $365 for today/night, spent a couple hours at the waterpark and were just getting ready to go to our room within an hour or so and we got KICKED OUT BECAUSE ITS "a family resort" and my tattoos are offensive (my stomach in particular). They refunded my money minus waterpark passes because we used their waterpark for 4 hrs and sent us on our way. I cried and cried and feel so hurt for my children and beyond embarrassed. They couldn't care less that I am a mom and have a family. Complete humiliation while crying from sadness. Ruined my whole weekend". (

)

Here's a photo of the tattoo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1071289214945&set=pb.1007557108.-2207520000.1376195513.&type=3&theater

Mt. Olympus also released a statement about the situation on their Facebook page:

"In light of recent events that had taken place at our water park, Mt. Olympus would like to officially apologize to any guest that feels that they have been mistreated. We do have a policy and certain standards to uphold as a family friendly resort, and any individuals that break our policy will be asked to comply with our policies. We most certainly do not discriminate against any person, nor do we wish do reject anyone entry into our parks. We welcome all guests and thank all of those who have helped shape us into the largest water and theme park resort in the Wisconsin Dells. As for what took place on August 9, 2013, we had noticed and received numerous complaints from multiple guests on the profanity of a tattoo. We do have a policy against the use or display of any inappropriate words, phrases or graphics, whether spoken or written in any form, and we had kindly asked the individual to cover up the tattoo with the very visible profanity or kindly leave the park. This individual did not want to comply with our staff and our policy, so this individual chose to leave the park and we then offered a refund for their hotel stay." (

)

It is seeming to spark quite a debate. Personally, I'm on the park's side with this one. Not that I'm against tattoos, but I would not like to be reading "BITCH" in giant letters at a family friendly park, especially if I had kids. Just curious, thoughts?

Her decision to get the tattoo, her decision not to cover up. There really is no discussion to be had here, the park was perfectly reasonable. I personally wouldn't be offended by seeing it, but the park isn't wrong to have the policy and enforce it.

No matter which theme park you go to, they are (in my eyes) always supposed to be a family-friendly place. I've noticed the last several times I've gone to a theme park at least one instance of someone wearing something or just something on their person that was not family-friendly at all, which concerned me a little. There are exceptionally few times and places where it is okay for you to wear a shirt with the F bomb splayed out in big letters, and a theme park is definitely not one of them. (Halloween events – lots of fake blood and scares, but ehhh, still no)

Alas, people think they are allowed freedom of speech anywhere. You can wear and say what you want, but please, use your freakin' head. Most of the time it’s just unnecessary.