TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

^ ^^ Both have valid points, i dont know how popular the park is but you would have figured they might as well have added a new part to the break run so it could at least operate two trains if the park got crowded

^ ^^ Both have valid points, i dont know how popular the park is but you would have figured they might as well have added a new part to the break run so it could at least operate two trains if the park got crowded

You just said "both have valid points" but you completely missed the entire point of why they can't run two trains -

However adding a transfer track is the problem here.

It's not exactly like RollerCoaster Tycoon where the number of trains you can have is the amount of block sections minus one. If you run multiple trains, you have to be able to transfer one off in case something goes wrong. If something went wrong with one of the trains, how long would you rather wait - a day or more until they can pry the bad train off of the continuous-circuit track, or twenty minutes while they push the bad train onto a transfer section and, you know, transfer it off so they can continue to run the "good" train?

I honestly can't think of any multiple-train-running coaster that I've ridden that doesn't have some ability to transfer a train off, but I haven't ridden a multitude of coasters.

Yeah, they need a second train on Hades. It's been a common complaint for years. Heck, with a slightly longer brake run (that could be done, of course) it would be good for 3 trains.

There was a video a while back where the park owner, Nick Laskaris, was talking about the capacity complaints. I think the jist of it was, "well - it costs money." He may have said something about waiting to see how the Timberliner handles/wears the track, but I can't remember exactly. I understand things cost money, but a 2nd train would be nice. But before that, the ride needs lots of track work. So do Zeus and Cyclops. It will be interesting to find out how the Timberliner train handles a big coaster over a season vs. what it was like with the PTC. Those new trains were built with Voyage in mind... they're supposed to be better in all departments: capacity, comfort, maintenance/cost. So far, they get my vote for comfort.

Zeus would be ok with a Timberliner train, but I hope they never replace the PTC buzz bar train on Cyclops. Only new track, please

Yeah, they need a second train on Hades. It's been a common complaint for years. Heck, with a slightly longer brake run (that could be done, of course) it would be good for 3 trains.

There was a video a while back where the park owner, Nick Laskaris, was talking about the capacity complaints. I think the jist of it was, "well - it costs money." He may have said something about waiting to see how the Timberliner handles/wears the track, but I can't remember exactly. I understand things cost money, but a 2nd train would be nice. But before that, the ride needs lots of track work. So do Zeus and Cyclops. It will be interesting to find out how the Timberliner train handles a big coaster over a season vs. what it was like with the PTC. Those new trains were built with Voyage in mind... they're supposed to be better in all departments: capacity, comfort, maintenance/cost. So far, they get my vote for comfort.

Zeus would be ok with a Timberliner train, but I hope they never replace the PTC buzz bar train on Cyclops. Only new track, please

The train on Cyclops is absolutely mutilated. The second to last row on the train's lap bar was actually sawed off because it wasn't working. The train is old and beat up, and the track is in horrible shape. I think Cyclops is the worst maintained roller coaster I've ever seen. Since I agree with you and would love to see an old PTC train still used on Cyclops, why not just use the old Hades train?

Edit: Herp derp I can't type

After going on memorial day i think we would see train replacements needed on Cyclops and Zuess long before you will see them add a second train to Hades. What I would really expect to see is the Old PTC's from Hades moved over to Cyclops or Zuess. I could see them still on site down near the maintenance area down by the waterpark area. Wish i would have thought to grab the camera on our way back thru from the indoor waterpark. Also If anyone hasn't checked out my trip report here is link! #shamelessplug

'Old PTC's from Hades moved over to Cyclops or Zues'

Honestly that would destroy Cyclops, the ejector would be NOWHERE near as good as with the current PTC trains, and honestly, the ride hasn't killed anyone (that I know of), all I'd do is refurbish them, and maybe add a 6th car while I'm at it (crazy, I know), and MAYBE, just maybe re-do the end of the ride to have a helix of some sort before the station but after the infamous drop (likely hug the hill, giving Cyclops a slightly stronger finish on top of the drop), with a complete re-tracking of course and topper added at the bottom of the drop (the only bad part for me at least), but replacing the trains is NOT in the picture, as for Zeus, the trains will do squat to improve the brutal ride,

There's many things I love about Hades but my favorite thing is how aggressive the ride is, especially in the tunnel when it kind of tosses you around in the darkness. Something I did notice like many others on here who have ridden it is how much rougher it has become over the years. It really started becoming painful around those last few turns towards the end of the ride around the 2008 season. I remember riding it in 2007 and while it was still rough, it seemed like a big jump from 2007 to 2008 in terms of how violent it was during the 2nd half of the ride.

I have yet to ride Hades 360 but I'm hearing the Timberliner is pretty comfortable though the ride is still quite brutal in the 2nd half of the course. I'm hoping to be able to go up to the Dells for a day sometime in the next 2-3 weeks to get some rides in on Hades 360 and I'll be sure to post my review of the ride. Also, they are still planning a media day which will be sometime this month. As long as my schedule stays clear, I should be able to attend that as well. Looking forward to riding this again!

I'll be going up to the Dells for the first time in August. I'm looking forward to trying everything out! I need a tour guide if anyone is interested lol. I have a wedding on the 11th and there's no open bar so thank god there are roller coasters nearby!

I'll be going up to the Dells for the first time in August. I'm looking forward to trying everything out! I need a tour guide if anyone is interested lol. I have a wedding on the 11th and there's no open bar so thank god there are roller coasters nearby!

That might fall around the time of my Texas trip but if not, I'd make the drive up from Chicago. NO OPEN BAR?!? HOW DARE THEY?!?!? Do what I do, bring a flask.

Just wanted to give my opinion of Hades 360 (I rode it yesterday).

Rode Hades as soon as we got to the park in the front row, and it's a great ride in the front. Still hurts a lot, rough in every spot. It's a shame to say that it's rough even in the inversion and 110 degree banked turn. The whole ride is still rough even with the retracked sections. It started to rain while we were there but they kept the ride running. The line died down and rode again in the back row, huge mistake. It's 10 times rougher in the last row, and even with the better airtime, it's not worth the pain. Hades is definitely a front row ride.

I'd also like to say that Zeus is running great this year. They retracked parts of Cyclops as well, and still has the crazy ejector airtime.

But overall, I'm glad they did the inversion on Hades. It's not like Mount Olympus would have added something else if they didn't do it.

^^ Good question, and no, I don't think there is a fully wooden looping wooden coaster. I'm not sure if it's possible to use just wood for the kind of support a track that inverts calls for. I suppose if the inverting element was under another part of the ride where it could use its own supports as well as the supports for that other part of the ride, it could work. There are a lot of variables that come into play with wood that we don't see with steel.