TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2016

One thing that needs to be kept in mind when looking at the top 50 list is how they are calculated. Fun coaster ABC that is in everyone's top 10 will score better than Intense coaster XYZ that is number 1 on 25% of people's lists and not in any one else's top 10. Lists like this reward consistency and widespread appeal.

There is no way to get a "perfect" list of this sort. No voting method will result in a picture that people will agree about by the masses. All it comes down to is opinions anyways. Everyone's opinion is unique, and this in a compilation of hundreds of peoples' unique opinions.

For me personally, I love the GTA's. I think they're fun, they're a great way to generate publicity, and for my tastes they are pretty accurate. Sure there are some omissions and inclusions that I don't agree with, but I'm ok with that.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funniest thing about these awards is you guys overanalyzing the results and bitching about them lol. It's a poll for people to vote for their favorite rides, not an advanced algorithm. For those of you that think certain rides are getting unfairly under-represented, I have news for you: thr only people looking into the top 50 roller coaster lists are people like you who have your own opinions about the rides anyways . The ONLY stat most people will see is the Number 1 steel/wooden and those seem pretty accurate.

Seriously, I think you guys take this more seriously than the people who run it lol.

I see very few people "bitching" or "taking these awards too seriously". Most of us are laughing about them and pointing out ridiculous things within them because it's fun.

For once I agree with Mr Bill. We should be able to chat and laugh about it, I do suppose it is how you read it as to if:

Millennium force beat Maverick by ten

As being bitchy.

I'm wondering when TPR is gonna finally get there and ride it!?

I've actually been strangely curious to hear their thoughts on it once they get up there. I know their thoughts on Leviathan and the B&M hypers (fun but nothing amazing) and while I don't expect Fury to be their new #1, it really is a totally different type of ride than anything else B&M has ever built.

Obviously my opinion of the ride is that it's fantastic and nothing can or should change that opinion but it's always interesting to hear feedback from seasoned riders with tons of coasters under their belts.

I just looked at the actual chart and there was only a 4 point difference between Fury and MF, while last year MF beat Superman by almost 300 points. I haven't gone through and looked at all the archives, does anyone know off the top of their head has it ever been so close between the top 2 before??

The funniest thing about these awards is you guys overanalyzing the results and bitching about them lol. It's a poll for people to vote for their favorite rides, not an advanced algorithm. For those of you that think certain rides are getting unfairly under-represented, I have news for you: thr only people looking into the top 50 roller coaster lists are people like you who have your own opinions about the rides anyways . The ONLY stat most people will see is the Number 1 steel/wooden and those seem pretty accurate.

Seriously, I think you guys take this more seriously than the people who run it lol.

I see very few people "bitching" or "taking these awards too seriously". Most of us are laughing about them and pointing out ridiculous things within them because it's fun.

Amen, Bill! There's a lot of conversation to be had between blind praise and ceaseless complaining, and most of it is enjoyable or we wouldn't come back. I don't think any members are "hate reading" the Golden Ticket Awards or TPR to throw fits. Writing to your local park with an expletive-laden letter about how the list is an injustice would certainly be a buck-nutty reaction, but no one is doing that. The members who simply express themselves seem to be having a good time. I don't see where this narrative came from that everyone is a miserable nerd who takes things too seriously.

Fury absolutely deserves the #1 steel coaster spot - incredible ride, and completely different than every other B&M out there. I'm wondering when TPR is gonna finally get there and ride it!?

Maybe next summer. Like others have said, I'm sure it's fine and fun, but it's hard for us to get excited about a big B&M. I'm hoping to be proven wrong and it really is different.

I just looked at the actual chart and there was only a 4 point difference between Fury and MF, while last year MF beat Superman by almost 300 points. I haven't gone through and looked at all the archives, does anyone know off the top of their head has it ever been so close between the top 2 before??

I believe there were some years, maybe when Superman was #1 that there was some very close margins. However, I'm not sure if it was this close.

Best Food is always one of the tougher awards to pick. Out of the 3/5 parks there that I have visited, I really think they all have outstanding food.

Knoebels should really get a lot of credit there, as they aren't a big chain park who can hire gourmet chefs like Disney or Dollywood. Plus, their prices are so reasonable. For me, that's a winner.

Taron 18 places BELOW Blue Fire

Wodan 5 places ABOVE freakin' WILDFIRE ???

Sry, but this is the nail in the coffin for any reputation these awards once had.

"#Goldend**headawards, "bought" to you by Europa-Park.

You have to keep in mind though, this is the first year for both of those rides on the list. They never place as high as they will get during their debut year.

Fury absolutely deserves the #1 steel coaster spot - incredible ride, and completely different than every other B&M out there. I'm wondering when TPR is gonna finally get there and ride it!?

Maybe next summer. Like others have said, I'm sure it's fine and fun, but it's hard for us to get excited about a big B&M. I'm hoping to be proven wrong and it really is different.

SFOG's Goliath is the second most intense B&M hyper I've been on, but Fury is far and away more intense and a superior ride. I'd say it's more intense than the Intamin hypers I've been on outside of Intimidator 305 or Skyrush.

. . . I'd say it's more intense than the Intamin hypers I've been on outside of Intimidator 305 or Skyrush.

Interesting. . . I never knew i305 was a hyper coaster.

Dont dig to deep. He is also stating that a giga is more intense then most hypers. Which it is, so no big deal

I would have likes to said that I have been on more than one ride in the top fifty steel coasters. Only one ride is in the UK though, showing some people that vote cannot be that well traveled. Somebody honestly tell me that Whizzer is better than every other ride in the UK.

Has anyone hear been on all the top fifty?