TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What "little things" make you fall in love with a park?

Hey everyone!

I've been keeping up with Theme Park Review's recent romp through Europe, and I've noticed there have been so many "little things" that have made each day's visit enjoyable. Things like Toverland letting you get close to the log flume, or Europa Park's bumper cars having a gigantic football / soccer ball thrown into the mix.

That raises a fun discussion - what "little things" make you fall in love with a park?

A "little thing" can be anything that isn't right in your face - your favorite food item, a fun variation on a ride, a certain way a ride is operated, some thoughtful thematic detail, accessibility for your younger family members... The list goes on.

One thing that makes me enjoy Knoebels so much is the fact that I can go back and forth through the open areas near Phoenix, Twister, Impulse etc and the secluded, more quiet areas where the children's rides are. I can take my visit as slow or as fast as I want!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone!

I've been keeping up with Theme Park Review's recent romp through Europe, and I've noticed there have been so many "little things" that have made each day's visit enjoyable. Things like Toverland letting you get close to the log flume, or Europa Park's bumper cars having a gigantic football / soccer ball thrown into the mix.

That raises a fun discussion - what "little things" make you fall in love with a park?

A "little thing" can be anything that isn't right in your face - your favorite food item, a fun variation on a ride, a certain way a ride is operated, some thoughtful thematic detail, accessibility for your younger family members... The list goes on.

One thing that makes me enjoy Knoebels so much is the fact that I can go back and forth through the open areas near Phoenix, Twister, Impulse etc and the secluded, more quiet areas where the children's rides are. I can take my visit as slow or as fast as I want!

1) New things. When you've gone to a lot of amusement and theme parks, you've seen the same things over and over. Even as much as we laud Disney and Universal for the expense they put into their parks, generally speaking, the rides between the various Disney "Kingdom" parks are pretty identical. You've been on one Peter Pan, it kinda feels like you've been on them all. Knoebels is filled with rare or one-off attractions: Black Diamond, Flying Turns, the Skyride, the boats, the Lusse Bumper Cars, the sky ride, the whip, the loopers, the flyers, Power Surge, and on and on and on.

2) Becoming, in some way, part of the local community. Some parks became this because it was the goal - Knoebels, Tivoli, Grona Lund, Liseberg, Rye, Coney Island - they all come to mind. Some just ended up that way because the urban expanse enveloped them, like Disneyland. Creating a theme park where people in the region travel to for one visit a year became the norm sometime ago, and you're seeing now that parks are trying to get away from that and become enticing in a variety of ways to locals to sell season passes by increasing the number of events they hold. Still, holding events on a cheaply built slab concrete slab doesn't turn a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park into a Knoebels. You need variety in food options (most parks have cut those to the bone); you need variety in entertainment; you need places to relax: you need all of those things to make yourself truly into a place that someone who doesn't get erections for coaster construction shots to get out of work on a Tuesday that lives in the area to say, "Hey, I think I might brave the potential crowds and use my pass to go to the park tonight." Because if they're instead being confronted with $20 hockey puck burger or chicken tender meals and nothing but crowds waiting for big ass rides, they're gonna stay home or do something else.

Aesthetic beauty. This can be natural or artificial, themed, architectural, or whimsical. It probably is the result of having always lived in the Ozarks, but forested hills are the pinnacle of natural beauty to me, and parks in that setting always rank just a little higher because of it.

For places that lack that setting, architecture and layout that create a sense of place are more enjoyable. Grant's Farm in St. Louis is like this. Just being there is fun in itself.

Of course, places with both qualities, such as Silver Dollar City and Holiday World, are the very best places of all.

Waterparks have seen a lot of innovation over the last decade or so but it's starting to feel like every waterpark has kind of has the same "cookie cutter" selection of attractions, play structure, lazy river, wave pool, mat racer, family raft slide, drop door/body slide, tube slide complex, funnel slide, bowl etc. When Aquatica opened Roa's Rapids it seemed like such a fun and unique take on a traditional lazy river that it was kind of refreshing. Staying in Aquatica the entrance to that park has always felt really cool, where you walk up hill under a slide, over a bridge over the lazy river, past the dolphin pool, past another slide before you are in the park, it's a really dynamic entrance to the park with all of the layers and interaction that it makes the place feel "different" the second you enter it, which I love.

Neon.

Can't really explain why, but I'm a sucker for awesome lighting packages. One of the main reasons why I'm a sucker for a great boardwalk. Parks that both install and take care of their various lighting packages go up a notch in my book.

Can I break down the fourth wall here?

This is all a code. When a Knoebels fanboy uses words like "little things that make you fall in love with a park" that basically means "Please tell me your favorite thing about Knoebels and what made you fall in love with it". Even without that last paragraph it was obvious that this was a Knoebels appreciation thread. I'm picking up what you're putting down and I wholeheartedly approve.

I can't even describe it, it's sort of the culture that a park creates becoming the soul of the park that makes me fall in love.

I wasn't a Disney person until I really calmed down and enjoyed HK, then Tokyo blew me away, then a revisit to Anaheim, then Shanghai. While I absolutely love Cedar Point and think it's the best amusement park in the world, Disney feels like it has a culture. I mean, what other park has the power to call all of the employees Cast Members, let their employees be proud of that name and make their guests respect that name? What other park can make someone dream about going there for years and years and when they finally go there, they can find the child in their heart? Plus I feel like being amazed by Soarin', Pirates of the Caribbean (new one) and Journey to the Center of the Earth is very different from being amazed by Outlaw Run, Maverick and Dodonpa. It's the kind of feeling that makes you tear up and think about just how incredible human imagination is. Not to mention all the detailed theming that make you realize they are not just making money, they are putting their heart and soul to create dreams.

I love to people watch at Disney parks, sometimes I even wish I am a photographer to record some beautiful moments. The die-hard Star Wars fans clapping and cheering when Hyperspace Mountain pull into the station; the little girl empowered by all the hardest routes of Challenge Trails; the old couple wearing matching Disney shirts, holding hands and walking around Tokyo Disneyland; The family taking a photo at the exit of Grizzly Mountain after they rode their first roller coaster together; the group of friends high-fiving when they found their fourth hidden Mickey, and hundreds more moments like that I whitnissed. I feel like Disney's effort makes me want to love their parks and be a part of the magic. I've only been a Disney park fan for a bit over a year and I don't know how to sing 95% of the Disney songs, heck I don't even remember what happens in The Lion King. But when I go to a Disney park, I get a different feeling that is hard to describe that makes me fall in love.

1) Readily available draft beer

2) A 'few' large attractive coasters which can be viewed throughout most of the park. (see Carowinds/King's Island)

3) Nice subtle landscaping with a few water features and clean lines throughout the park. (see Cedar Fair)

3.5) ugh... I hate myself for this, but 'snoopy light shows' really add something to the CF parks my wife and I visit. Forget you read this.

Everything about SDC. From the scents of cinnamon bread, to the theming, and awesome attractions.

For me to "fall in love" with a park it has to have a combination of theming, rides, friendly staff, great food, and good shows. Silver Dollar City seems to embrace everything I look for in a park.

^SDC is amazing. I already want to go back lol

I really like when I can go to a park and get distracted by everything but the rides (Silver Dollar City). I like when the coaster lineup is really solid and has no weak points (Silver Dollar City). I like when the park has charm and theming (Silver Dollar City). I like when there are so many rides and coasters that you could walk around all day riding random stuff and not reride anything (SFOT, CP, KI). I also like ZDT's because everything always has short lines and everything there is generally really good (except the drop tower which is pretty lame but still a ton of fun).

I don't think there's been a single park I've been to and not liked. You almost have to be trying to make me not like a park.

I like when there are so many rides and coasters that you could walk around all day riding random stuff and not reride anything (SFOT, CP, KI).

I find this post very interesting at the moment, because I think a lot of enthusiasts feel this way. As a matter of fact, I was convinced I had this same point of view, until my trip to Cedar Point a couple days ago. I legitimately feel that for me this park has so many rides and so much going on that it all kind of takes away from itself. I hadn't been to the park since 07, so for me it was always the end all be all of parks. I was really surprised with my impression of the park this time around.

I think that's what makes CP an almost mandatory 2-day park. I think I prefer SDC because of its charm, but it's really hard to put a solid claim to either park being "better" because they're both amazing in different ways.

I haven't visited nearly as many parks as some people here but out of the few I have I'd say a park like SFOG, Kennywood, Hershey where the park feels built into the landscape and trees really makes me love it. Its the reason why parks Knoebels and BGW are bucketlisters for me. Trees and shade really go a long way with me. I'm like a vampire.

Some things that don't necessarily make me fall in love with a park but that I love to see/encounter:

- clean bathrooms

- employees that smile

- employees/ops that don't come across like they are sleeping through their shift

- a wide variety of food options

- good beer on tap!

- short lines for rides & food (tho if they are long but actually continuously move I don't mind)

- lightning packages! I'm with michaellynn on this one. Growing up going to a seaside park made me really appreciate lighting packages (and Morey's does it so well) so when some parks don't bother at all I think it's really lame (hello, Six Flags!)

moreyatnight.jpg.5f030a2a766ed94ca4cac94f8533a657.jpg

Morey's Piers at night. ;)

I like when there are so many rides and coasters that you could walk around all day riding random stuff and not reride anything (SFOT, CP, KI).

I find this post very interesting at the moment, because I think a lot of enthusiasts feel this way. As a matter of fact, I was convinced I had this same point of view, until my trip to Cedar Point a couple days ago. I legitimately feel that for me this park has so many rides and so much going on that it all kind of takes away from itself. I hadn't been to the park since 07, so for me it was always the end all be all of parks. I was really surprised with my impression of the park this time around.

If you've been to a lot of amusement parks since, the shock of *hory shet there's a lot of rides" that Cedar Point offers has probably worn off. The thing that I think makes it different than, as an example here, Carowinds, is that there's a lot more offered thanks to the geography of the place. You can rent a kayak at Cedar Point and take it around the peninsula. The closest thing to "soft adventure" a Six Flags St. Louis or similar offers is the need for a machete to take down some of the weeds growing through asphalt in the parking lot.

Can I break down the fourth wall here?

This is all a code. When a Knoebels fanboy uses words like "little things that make you fall in love with a park" that basically means "Please tell me your favorite thing about Knoebels and what made you fall in love with it". Even without that last paragraph it was obvious that this was a Knoebels appreciation thread. I'm picking up what you're putting down and I wholeheartedly approve.

I literally came in here to post "Phoenix plaza at night with the tracer lights on"

Having a place to sit and relax, take in the atmosphere and just enjoy watching the hustle and bustle of the day just gives me a feeling of calm. The only place I've truly experienced such a feeling is WDW's Magic Kingdom, which it why it is and (probably) always will be my favourite park.