TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Am I the only one who likes Silver Bullet's drop? I also kinda like how it isn't too intense because it's fun to feel like you're just zipping and flying around everywhere without the super intense pull on your body.

I like it too. B&M invert drops don't do a whole lot for me, even when they're steep (Banshee, for example), so the long, gradual slope into the loop doesn't bother me at all — I kind of like it. Broadly speaking, I like Silver Bullet more than any of the other inverts I've ridden, though. The ride has a good variety of forces and elements, doesn't belabor you with intensity, nor is it cookie-cutter B&M.

^I actually somewhat agree with this. I actually kind of like the way the coaster begins off the lift: it starts with a very long pre-drop, followed by a gradual drop/turn which whips to the right. To me it works because the long pre-drop allows for a descent buildup of speed before being whipped around a high-elevation turn/drop. I also wish more inverted and flying coasters had a pre-drop that long.

And honestly, if Silver Bullet had all the same elements it did, but just flowed through them with a little bit more intensity, it could be one of the best inverted coasters. But even the cobra roll is not all that forceful. (While the cobra rolls on Aplengiest and Kumba are insane). The first helix is also pretty forceless. Silver Bullet has that same forceless tilted helix that can also be found on Talon. (Also possibly Patriot and OzIris, but I have not actually ridden these to confirm if the tilted helices on these are just as forceless. But I would assume that they are).

However, B&M still does know how to make an awesome ending. Bullet's final helix is great, and I love the helix/sweep turn ending that they use on Talon. (Also Patriot and OzIris have the same ending).

First off, I totally agree about Pony Express not looking like it belongs. And then they made it so dumbfoundingly short, the ride looks like an afterthought.

I think my biggest gripe about Silver Bullet is that upon installation the park could have done SO MUCH more to keep some of the older nostalgic areas of the park, to incorporate them with the big bulky B&M invert. Instead they kinda just tore everything out and started from scratch, which made the entire area seem out of place. You know in Roller Coaster Tycoon when you just buy a pre-made coaster, and then plop it in a random place over paths and other rides and it doesn't look to fit quite right? That's what Silver Bullet feels like to me when I walk around the area. I mean they took a lake and made it a pond, that really, doesn't even need to be there anymore.

I think if they would have incorporated the boat ride in the lake, the train around the lake, and installed the ride while leaving most of the area alone, I would have enjoyed the installation better. Even the station is so freakin' high it looms over the entire area and seems out of place. And then the color choices of the track, oy vey.

Also I think the first drop was sacrificed in the name of the carousel being right under the first drop. But I think with a real B&M invert drop like on the Batmans, the ride might be rated a bit higher than it is.

That being said what's done is done. I do dig the cobra roll that you can walk through near the entrance though.

I meant to post this way back but never did. Excuse my tardiness.

Removing Zoom would be a bad idea, imo. It takes up almost no space, so what would realistically be gained by removing it?

Agreed... it's a terrible idea. Then again if it goes to California's Great America in the spot where Tidal Wace once was, I'm totally cool with it.

Agreed, Bill. We need a good Schwarzkopf back in NorCal.

To add to the present conversation, I think a repaint of Silver Bullet from its original colors is overdue and shouldn't have been neglected in 2014 when it was apparently repainted the exact same as it is now. I don't have a problem with the looks of the other coasters, however, such as Pony Express. I think at least an effort was made to conserve the general color scheme of the area. It's not great, but it could be worse.

Until I became involved with the TPR forums I never really heard phrases like forceless or mediocre about most of the roller coasters I see people describing as such. Like Silver Bullet for example. Its been over 11 years since I've been to Knotts/California. When I went I was still a fairly new enthusiast. When I rode Silver Bullet I didn't think of it as anything different than Batman or Raptor or Montu. To me, it was just another fun invert from B&M. In fact, its still one of the most memorable Coasters from the trip. I haven't been on what most enthusiasts would consider a lot of coasters. I've been on around 150 or so. So perhaps the sensations you get on coasters change with experience?

Until I became involved with the TPR forums I never really heard phrases like forceless or mediocre about most of the roller coasters I see people describing as such. Like Silver Bullet for example. Its been over 11 years since I've been to Knotts/California. When I went I was still a fairly new enthusiast. When I rode Silver Bullet I didn't think of it as anything different than Batman or Raptor or Montu. To me, it was just another fun invert from B&M. In fact, its still one of the most memorable Coasters from the trip. I haven't been on what most enthusiasts would consider a lot of coasters. I've been on around 150 or so. So perhaps the sensations you get on coasters change with experience?

I would say the more experience people have with riding different coaster the more they would tend to rank them against each other. I prefer Silver Bullet's layout to Batman slightly; but I didn't ever ride the little boat or care much for the pond that Silver Bullet replaced; so I don't have any hurt feelings where others do. I don't believe anyone ever mentions what Batman replaced in a bad way or that it clashes with surrounding areas or attractions. If anything, Batman is themed perfectly as a rundown coaster in a rundown crime ridden city As far a forceless; I tend to like smoother coasters as I get older. In my teens and twenties; being faster and higher was more important than comfort or scenery. I think X-2 and other coasters like that would rank higher back when I could take the abuse. Some people like it though.

Another stealth run to Knott's today to take advantage of the off-season and milk the last of my platinum pass. Aside from Ghost Rider, everything was a walk-on during the time I was there (2:30pm to 6pm) with instant re-rides available on pretty much everything. With only two of the upstair switchbacks filled with people, Ghost Rider's line still took a solid 35 minutes to board. Can't blame them for only running one train on days as dead as this, but operations are hideous on that ride now. There was a craft fair thing going on which pulled a small crowd into Ghost Town, but I guess this was a free event and the rest of the park was closed off to attendees. Silver Bullet was down for rehab (it was a little rough the last time I rode it a few weeks ago, so hopefully it'll return in better shape). Ghost Rider actually had a little roughness on the turnaround above the station, but I only noticed it in the front seat. Nothing a quick rehab won't fix. Anyhow, in the time I was there I rode:

Ghost Rider x2 (Back and front, but still much prefer the back)

Pony Express x1 (Meh)

Boomerang x1 (Ugh)

Xcelerator x3 (Still surprised how little mention the airtime on this gets — seems quite extreme to me)

Montezoomer x2 (Old faithful — I love that creeping launch)

La Revolucion x3 (One of my favorite rides there. I find this thing more forceful and thrilling than some of the giant frisbee rides)

Supreme Scream x3 (Nobody there, so back-to-back rides it was)

Log Ride x1 (While I often enjoy visiting parks by myself, riding log rides solo feels kind of lame)

Sierra Sidewinder x2 (When the train returned to a completely empty station, the riders chanted "one more time! one more time!" — and the train was sent around one more time)

Jaguar x1 (I was the only rider!)

Iron Reef x1 (I usually skip this as I think it's lame, but there was nobody there at all so I just rode it without the glasses or the gun and scoped out the various screens and sets).

I've been to Knott's more times this year than I've been to the park in the last 10 years. I bought the platinum CF pass because I knew I'd be visiting Cedar Point and Kings Island, but I've really got my money's worth out of it. I'm tempted to renew for a regular Knott's pass as days like this — when the park is really quiet — it's nice place to just hang out and chill.

894093602_Knotts(1of13).jpg.a7e0d2eba134e91c1df8ddc1d2faab76.jpg

Boomerang looks monstrous from this angle.

1081278196_Knotts(10of13).jpg.94221f66d1dcb2babbf26a84fcb3622b.jpg

Didn't ride this time, but Calico looks great all lit up.

31805419_Knotts(11of13).jpg.84ca0d97e09d33e1f0807571eef4f135.jpg

The craft fair event was a nice touch.

2032369736_Knotts(12of13).jpg.56b6474e3b98d048565f7ca5befd97fd.jpg

I can't imagine this working well in too many other parks.

1872839829_Knotts(13of13).jpg.4a36be3f6d8c1a8e547cb523c18fae84.jpg

It was basically all of Ghost Town.

1998101566_Knotts(2of13).jpg.f458a6543eff808c53300281b5a726f1.jpg

Still one of the most intense (yet fun) rides I've ridden.

624146677_Knotts(3of13).jpg.378e0849d63c9b7208f8d89ec5f20e33.jpg

This is what most of the queues were like today.

542708047_Knotts(4of13).jpg.ea48cfd59c5ad1365ae91ada716ec105.jpg

One of the best rides in the park with some intense floater airtime.

1849326277_Knotts(5of13).jpg.db4b12bceaa4be64334c861032691934.jpg

A lonely ride on Jaguar.

60190588_Knotts(6of13).jpg.80362b0645cacdcb48d39acfe2c1eeda.jpg

Even though Silver Bullet's first drop doesn't impress, the ride still has some height to it.

1417357736_Knotts(7of13).jpg.d9d7045c048e6aeb7bf17125b1c2e4dd.jpg

The boardwalk theming, while a tad sparse, works well.

961140457_Knotts(8of13).jpg.06e09897c962098beb1f2939155ca56e.jpg

Despite how phallic several of the rides there are.

Hi Knott's regulars, any guesses how crowded the park might be on Monday Dec 12? I'm going to have some time to kill that afternoon before flying back up to Northern California, and have my CF Platinum pass, so was thinking of swinging by the park. But, probably only will if it wouldn't be too crowded. Think it's worth my time for a few hours?

Hi Knott's regulars, any guesses how crowded the park might be on Monday Dec 12? I'm going to have some time to kill that afternoon before flying back up to Northern California, and have my CF Platinum pass, so was thinking of swinging by the park. But, probably only will if it wouldn't be too crowded. Think it's worth my time for a few hours?

During that day, waits in the park should be 0 - 10 minutes for pretty much everything besides Ghostrider; which will likely be 15 - 45 min long depending if they have both trains running.

Think it's worth my time for a few hours?

Definitely. If you get there at opening I think you could get on Ghostrider, Montezuma's, Xcelerator, Boomerang and Silver Bullet before noon. I would also propose riding them in that order. If you can stay a bit longer, I'd say you could also get on Supreme Scream, Log Ride, and a couple others before 2pm.

Probably dead I'll be there Sunday the 11th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about going Thursday. Should be dead right. Walk ons and very short wait for GR?

Will Friday be almost as dead? It is open 2 hours later but should I expect more people if I go Friday instead?

Thursday should be dead, walkons for everything and maybe 10-15 min wait for GR. Friday should be equally dead in the morning, but it may get busier in the afternoon and evening.

I was able to visit the park on Sunday, and apart from bad lines on Xcelerator and Ghostrider I had a pretty good day. I was able to take a couple photos of the construction on Sol Spin as well as the construction work near Boomerang in Wipeout and the old food court style place.

image1.thumb.JPG.ebf0d3e9661d59fb656f3391235b87de.JPG

Right side of the Wipeout pad (near Boomerang)

image2.thumb.JPG.c7e6f0a4766e5e80000f0240e76c8c13.JPG

Left side of the Wipeout pad (Near Xcelerator)

image3.thumb.JPG.4dd730b560436cffea40e7583e3a473b.JPG

Sol Spin progress in old Windseeker spot

image4.thumb.JPG.c0785dca670698282f09ec4c66e21e1f.JPG

Closeup on the old footer from Windseeker that has been covered up by planters all these years

image5.thumb.JPG.74694dd8d38aa14fb44e9cde4fe286ab.JPG

View of Wipeout pad from hole in the fence near Boomerang

Edited by Xcelerator4

Think it's worth my time for a few hours?

Definitely. If you get there at opening I think you could get on Ghostrider, Montezuma's, Xcelerator, Boomerang and Silver Bullet before noon. I would also propose riding them in that order. If you can stay a bit longer, I'd say you could also get on Supreme Scream, Log Ride, and a couple others before 2pm.

During that day, waits in the park should be 0 - 10 minutes for pretty much everything besides Ghostrider; which will likely be 15 - 45 min long depending if they have both trains running.

Awesome, thanks guys (and all others)! I spent a few hours in the park over the summer and basically just rode GhostRider, so maybe I'll go through everything else...

That footer absolutely mesmerizes me every time I look at it. I mean not only is it huge, and it is AMAZING how many bolts they have coming out of the concrete, but how they get every single one of those bolts to fit perfectly on the formally manufactured base of the tower just blows my mind. What if they got just 1 or 2 wrong?! Doh!

I agree and I do enjoy Knott's Chicken but come on, lol, it never looks like this!

mrs_knotts_0.jpg