TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Maybe the number of trains and operators has to do with the fact that this is a wood structure and could burn and needs evacuation quicker?

It does make sense (in a nonsensical regulatory kind of way), but I also saw Sierra Sidewinder doing the same a few weeks ago — one empty train being cycled and one being filled. I figured it might have something to do with distribution of wear, but I couldn't justify why that might be the case. The staffing rationale you note seems consistent with how the rides are run. However, Xcelerator always seems to have at least 6 ops on duty, whether the ride is running both trains or not. Could it be the double restraint checks they do on that one?

Maybe the number of trains and operators has to do with the fact that this is a wood structure and could burn and needs evacuation quicker?

It does make sense (in a nonsensical regulatory kind of way), but I also saw Sierra Sidewinder doing the same a few weeks ago — one empty train being cycled and one being filled. I figured it might have something to do with distribution of wear, but I couldn't justify why that might be the case. The staffing rationale you note seems consistent with how the rides are run. However, Xcelerator always seems to have at least 6 ops on duty, whether the ride is running both trains or not. Could it be the double restraint checks they do on that one?

Xcelerator and Silver Bullet always seem to have full staff of restraint checkers and probably from double checking. I did the early entry this summer and went to Silver Bullet and was first to the turnstile where it was locked. Three restraint checkers stood around for 10 minutes without doing anything. When I asked why they opened late; he said fourth restraint checker was late and the state wouldn't let guests past the turnstiles into the station until all four were on the platform ready to work. I know at Disneyland when I worked on the trains as a conductor that Cal-OSHA required us to stand on the side of the trains where we could see the guests but when the train was empty on deadhead; I could sit on the train or ride up with the engineers in the cab.

Sometimes these are state, park management or insurer requirements but usually safety related.

Bullet has the ability to have 6 ROs on dock, so 4 is the base line. The extra two don't check restraints. One is a grouper on the loading side, and one handles handicap passes at the exit gate.

Xcel always has 4 ROs so that every rider's restraint gets checked twice.

Just saw this in the survey

"Now we are going to describe a potential new all season drink program:

This potential new all season drink program would eliminate the need to purchase a plastic souvenir bottle and bring it to the park in order to use the program. This program would be connected to your season pass, just like the All Season Dining Plan. To get a beverage, you would scan your pass to get a disposable cup and your drink of choice. The program would be available at both self-service drink stations and at other food and beverage locations.

If implemented, this bottle-less program would have a similar cost to the current bottle program and would also include the same wait times between refills."

That is a cool idea. Don't have to remember to bring your bottle and carry it with you all day.

Just saw this in the survey

"Now we are going to describe a potential new all season drink program:

This potential new all season drink program would eliminate the need to purchase a plastic souvenir bottle and bring it to the park in order to use the program. This program would be connected to your season pass, just like the All Season Dining Plan. To get a beverage, you would scan your pass to get a disposable cup and your drink of choice. The program would be available at both self-service drink stations and at other food and beverage locations.

If implemented, this bottle-less program would have a similar cost to the current bottle program and would also include the same wait times between refills."

That is a cool idea. Don't have to remember to bring your bottle and carry it with you all day.

This would be awesome. I have not purchased a drink bottle in two years, after having two of them stolen. I would even pay extra for this!!!!

Providing cups is much more convenient. Not only does it save you from carrying one more item, but it means you don't have to remember to bring it.

I either lose or forget the cup. To try and not forget my Six Flags one last year, I kept it in my car but the heat of summer caused it to deform.

I hate this idea because it just creates more trash. At least with the plastic bottles you're somewhat "accountable" for keeping hold of them and not leaving them anywhere once you're done with them. With disposable cups people are pigs and will just leave them everywhere because they don't care about them after they are done. Just like you see them already when people pay $4-$6 for a disposable drink cup. Except it will be worse.

One thing I liked about visiting European Parks is they had a deal where they gave you a durable plastic cup with their logo on it, and it was a deposit sort of system. You pay for your drinks, keep the cup throughout the day for refills, but at the end of the day you could either leave the park with it, or bring it back to the beverage booth where they gave you some of your money back. They would then wash, and reuse the cups the next day, literally demolishing the use of disposable cups.

Why can't parks in America incorporate that kind of beverage system?

They do the returnable cup thing at Tivoli, I remember.

With an upright machine designed for just that. Taking cups back,

giving a bit of "deposit change" back to the gp, and everybody's happy.

204304817_ResizeofIMG_4772.JPG.182edb2ee14f183017ab23069f1c13da.JPG

In Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

I hate this idea because it just creates more trash. At least with the plastic bottles you're somewhat "accountable" for keeping hold of them and not leaving them anywhere once you're done with them. With disposable cups people are pigs and will just leave them everywhere because they don't care about them after they are done. Just like you see them already when people pay $4-$6 for a disposable drink cup. Except it will be worse.

One thing I liked about visiting European Parks is they had a deal where they gave you a durable plastic cup with their logo on it, and it was a deposit sort of system. You pay for your drinks, keep the cup throughout the day for refills, but at the end of the day you could either leave the park with it, or bring it back to the beverage booth where they gave you some of your money back. They would then wash, and reuse the cups the next day, literally demolishing the use of disposable cups.

Why can't parks in America incorporate that kind of beverage system?

I hate having to put the cup in a cubby hole to ride a coaster and then hoping someone else doesn't grab or steal your cup; and it slows down ride loading as it is another thing to put away before riding. Extra trash is bad but Knott's and Disney do pretty good jobs of keeping sweepers out so the paths don't look dirty. I would much rather grab a 20 ounce soda and finish it between rides than carry around the same cup all day. Or have to wash and remember to keep the cup in my car for the next visit and hope it doesn't melt in California sun.

. . . With disposable cups people are pigs and will just leave them everywhere because they don't care about them after they are done.

I mean, this is Cedar Fair guest we are talking about... not Six Flags.

Personally, I like the sound of the changes to the drink plan! Sounds like a much more convenient system. Keeps guest from having to drag around bottles, keeps guest from having to store bottles. . . Not to mention refills are going to be so much easier. No more "okay, could you please take your lid off for me??" *waits for guest to remove lid* then it never fails, you get the family of 78 people who all have their own cups, and they all want Dr. Pepper, except that one person that wants Coke, and the family can never remember who's cup is who's.

Hmmm, this new drink plan keeps sounding better and better.

In case you haven't noticed, Cedar Fair has discounted the KBF passes quite a bit. It's the same clientele.

If they want to go away from the bottles, they should get freestyle coke machines added and give 1 cup per day with a chip on it for the refills.

Did Knott's buy 2 or 3 trains for the Ghostrider refurb?

Because running one train at that capacity is about as bad as running X2 that way.

I haven't been there since the refurb, but am planning on going there at the end of the month. From what I've heard and seen, I'm pretty disappointed with the way the park has been operating the ride considering beyond the supports, the ride is practically new. It's also a shame RCDB isn't as up to date as they used to be, because typically I'd get this kind of information from there, but there's no information on number of trains at all.

y

I know this is a late reply, but they had two trains upon opening, and a third is being delivered sometime next year

• 2 weeks later...

A new VR attraction at the Mall of America sounds familiar...

Imagine being strapped in a wheelchair and taken to a mental asylum, as the cold haunted air glides past you. Your bones will quiver, as you see the nurse punish another patient for bad behavior, by beheading him. Think you can handle the terror, then visit Haunted Hospital.

T-10 days until it's closed due to whiners who haven't experienced the attraction.

Official attraction site: http://smaaashusa.com/#/hauntedhospital/585d43bd43d6132e58a339e0

^ Thoughts go out to those stuck in the cabin. Hope the situation improves, very soon.

Couldn't staff go up the middle of the tower and evac people into it? Or are there no

tower "doors" at that level?