TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Looks like a bigger slightly different version of Wildebeast. I have not ridden Wildebeest or a Mammoth hydromagnetic slide, but from the looks of things I could see this turning out be a Legend/Raven type scenario for the water park where the bigger faster longer newer ride isn't as good as the original. But we'll see, it does look cool though!

Interestingly enough, Dan Koch said in the live stream that he predicts that Wildebeest will remain as the top rated ride in the park, and Mammoth will be in second place.

I don't think they designed this to surpass Wildebeest, as much as they did to complement it. The thing I find most intriguing is the length of the ride itself. Most of the family raft rides I've been on that are similar (minus the hydromagnetic part) are all extremely short in length, slow in speed, low in capacity and even lower in thrill. It looks like this ride improves on all of those issues, especially in speed and thrill, so I'm definitely interested to see how this one turns out.

I've yet to visit Holiday World, but I still watch this park as they continue to expand--I just feel (from an outsider's perspective) that they balance their additions extremely well and continue to strategize in a well thought-out manner (save for the issue with the Timberliners, which I'm sure will be worked out soon enough). This park is on my must-visit list and I'm seriously plotting some sort of road trip (or saving up for the next TPR trip that goes there) for the near future.

Interestingly enough, Dan Koch said in the live stream that he predicts that Wildebeest will remain as the top rated ride in the park, and Mammoth will be in second place.

I don't think they designed this to surpass Wildebeest, as much as they did to complement it. The thing I find most intriguing is the length of the ride itself. Most of the family raft rides I've been on that are similar (minus the hydromagnetic part) are all extremely short in length, slow in speed, low in capacity and even lower in thrill. It looks like this ride improves on all of those issues, especially in speed and thrill, so I'm definitely interested to see how this one turns out.

For the most part I would agree with you about the family raft slides but the one exception that I've been on is the Zoombabwae enclosed family raft slide at Splashin Safari, that thing is one of the most exciting water slides of any type anywhere to me. This should still be a great addition though, the capacity on this thing should be huge, and capacity at water parks is always an issue.

I really wish some of the major water parks in Orlando (Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and Aquatica) would ass some of these newer technology slides like the hydro magnetic rocket. As good as all 3 of those parks are, every time I visit it still always feels like something is missing.

^^^I'm sure one of the Orlando water parks (current or future) will invest in this technology eventually.

On another note, the announcement post has been updated to include high resolution photos of the ride, as well as tons of footage.

Wow, when you flail around a $9 Million figure, you don't expect a disappointing waterslide. I'd say the park got ripped off. Don't get me wrong, it looks fun, but $9 Million?!?!?!? That's 3 Sponge Bobs!

I'd say that depends on what your audience really wants. At Holiday World, the water park is a huge draw. If adding this water coaster increases the capacity of the water park and improves the guest experience, that's what counts.

Plus, Mammoth and Wildebeest are a bit more than just "disappointing waterslides." There's some pretty complicated technology involved there.

I just find this addition...odd, for lack of a better word. I understand the Waterpark is having an issue with capacity but why beat a record YOU already have. It's like Great Adventure adding a 500 ft tall coaster. If anything a major addition should have been added at Holiday World to draw people outside of Splashin Safari.

I just find this addition...odd, for lack of a better word. I understand the Waterpark is having an issue with capacity but why beat a record YOU already have. It's like Great Adventure adding a 500 ft tall coaster. If anything a major addition should have been added at Holiday World to draw people outside of Splashin Safari.

Great companies don't wait for someone else to steal their title just to work to get it back. Take a look at the last ten years of Apple's history with the iPod. They constantly innovate, just to 'one-up' their products before the competition. Regardless, it will still draw a ton of people, benefit the waterpark capacity, help with wait times in Splashin' Safari, and be tons of fun. Wildebeest is amazing! I can not wait for Holiwood Nights next year. ERT on these bad boys is going to rock.

This is definitely one of the better 'common sense' announcements I have read so far. If you build a wildly successful ride, build another similar one! It just makes total sense to me, that way you can disperse the crowds onto each of the rides, and really make the original ride almost equally as marketable as the previous year. Good job Holiday World!

This is amazing. Wildebeest was my favorite thing about the park given how hot it can got there, short season or not. I chose the water park, Wildebeest and the very interesting Pilgrim's Plunge over the heat and rough wooden coasters.

With that raft design, this will for sure be a totally different experience.

I think this, plus Timberliners, will be fantastic for 2012. The thought being that the Timberliners will rejuvenate Voyage to the point of making it feel like a new coaster again.

Holiday World continues to prove....if you build it (and build it right), they will come.

Santa Claus isn't that close to any big city...2 plus hours away from Nashville, St Louis, Indianapolis.....but they fill the place every day.

But above all they really great rides, my favorite place in all of HW......Plymouth Rock Cafe.

One of the best amusement park restaurants around.

Mrs. Koch told our group last time we were at the park "Alot of other parks don't understand that your main goal shouldn't be to get people to the park, it should be to get people to come back."

That's awesome. It really shows they are not in it for the numbers, but for the guest's experience. It's amazing after one visit how much you feel welcomed into the Holiday World family. I had a wonderful time speaking with Paula and Mrs. Koch. Paula even went out of her way to help me with a presentation for my Public Relations course at college at which point I had never even been to Holiday World. Upon my first visit this past spring, I was truly blown away by their hospitality and genuine nature. They really have incredible insight and order their priorities accordingly.

-Rob

This is pretty cool. I'll drive for it next year for sure. Wildebeest is better than many coasters I've ridden, so this ride will be interesting. Takes waterparks to a whole new level I think. It's going to be crazy to see what waterslides/water coasters will be like even 5 years from now!

The last time I ever got excited about a park adding a water ride was never. Having said that, I absolutely understand why HW would do this, and hope like hell that when they add a steel coaster, it isn't a wild mouse or anything that spins. That would be a waste of steel.

Some responses to this addition are very funny. It's clear who understands the industry and who doesn't.

I mentioned in another thread, "Never doubt ..., Holiday World, ..." Ride technology will always change. The reason to create ride technology hasn't. They understand that and better than larger, more well known brands. They are one of the few left who truly understand.

Sorry but I was very underwhelmed by their announcement. It is great for their revenue and for people that love water parks (even though I think this is just an oversized Wildebeest.) I have absolutely no interest in this ride at all. I will return to Holiday World for The Voyage and Raven but I have never returned to a park for a waterslide. They just don't do anything for me. Here's looking forward to their next year announcement.

Holiday World will (hopefully) always be a family oriented park. Sitting around wishing for an Intamin hyper or a 500 foot inverted aquatrax will always be wishful enthusiast thinking. HW has done a great job cementing its reputation among enthusiasts, but we will never be their (or any park's) bread and butter. Families are where the money is and families is who they are aiming for. Splashin' Safari is a family magnet and without its draw Voyage would be nothing more then a dream. Personally I love watching HW grow and prosper and I think they have really shown, over the past decade especially, that they really know how to ensure that that continues to happen.

^ totally agree. Also, people have to remember that waterparks are kind of Holiday World's thing along with woodies. When have they added a steel coaster in the past? oh yeah, 1999, and it was a kiddie coaster. I don't think they'll be adding one anytime soon

And would they even have the money too? they must spend $100,000,000,000,000 a year retracking voyage. just sayin...

Why the hell would people even want them too, i bet it would just ruin the place. They're a great park with great waterslides and great woodies. Could you ask for any more?

^ In the coming years maybe Holiday world would add a steelie to their list. The timberliners may reduce wear and tear on the voyage's track that there will be less of a need to retrack, thus saving money for a small steel coaster like a eurofighter or one of those premier thingies like sky rocket at kennywood.