TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^That's kind of how I am, but I can tell that it really puts Emily off every time we use it and there's no line. Even though she won't say anything, we're so in sync that it kind of gets passed down to me.

But yeah, it was a shit show and I feel like we wasted what could have been a great day. I feel a certain sense of guilt for not having a better time.

Sorry you had a less than stellar visit to SF:GAdv... It's interesting, because I've been to that park more than most non-"local" amusement parks, and while I really appreciate a lot about the park - its coaster collection, some of the flats - it also doesn't get a high spot on my Park Rankings, because of the "but" that always seems to follow a description of something I enjoyed about the park. I have had similar crowd experiences most of my visits to the park, including a really bad time the one time I took my then-wife for her first (and only) visit, and she professed to actually being scared at times by the intimidation, and other sketchy things that were going on all around us. Having said that, I thought the park was a lot better in that regard the last time I went there a couple of years ago.

I have yet to ever have the misfortune of going to the park when it's super busy. We went July 5th of 2017, and didn't have a substantial wait for much of anything. Definitely nothing more than a half-hour. My sister and I rode everything we wanted, rode the bull a bunch of times, and could have marathoned it for hours on end, but instead decided to leave a few hours before the park closed. I still can't believe we did that, looking back, but we'd done what we'd wanted to, had a good time, but were tired and didn't feel like pushing ourselves past that point, just to hang in the park a few more hours, and get some El Toro night rides. As you mentioned in your post in the other thread, and alluded to here, times change, and as you get older, what you want out of a park experience often changes. So while I'm sorry it was such a rough day for you two, I'm not entirely surprised by anything you mentioned in your TR.

Also, thanks for the lengthy TR, and all the time that went into it. I know how daunting that can be, and in spite of being a writer myself, whenever I am faced with writing a TR about a trip, I tend to avoid it, postpone it, and usually end up never writing it! Take my trip to SF:Gadv two years ago for instance... I still haven't written that one, in spite of saying I would two years ago! Oh well... So, just know the time and effort you expended is appreciated.

Haha thanks. I really don't like to get into so many personal details. I don't like to be the guy who thinks people should care about what I did all the way up to exactly what I had for breakfast. It makes me feel like I'm being vain. In this case, I felt like it was relevant to our experience and I didn't want people to think it was all the park's fault for us not having a good time. My CW trip report will be much shorter!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I have no fucking clue what this attraction could be.

Honestly, I could see it being something like a t-rex, but I could also see it being something like an air launch coaster, something like West Coaster Racers, or even a mega looper like Steel Curtain. I would love to see something airtime oriented though since only two of their coasters are airtime oriented.

^ If they got a launch coaster, I'd argue that it wouldn't be an air-launcher since they already have Kingda Ka for the acceleration.

Then again this is the chain that added West Coast Racers to the park that already had the two rides it's a mash-up of in Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus.

This is exciting stuff!

A less powerful launched coaster would be great to complement the great Ka.

OR a wooden coaster of lesser proportion to complement El Toro.

Either one would be great fits imo. But there are many worthy options as well!

(But yes, I'm aware that "world-record breaking" could entail something as small as just another flat - I'm not getting my hopes up TOO much. It would be great though to see the first ground up full coaster since 2006)

I'm calling it now: Re-theme of Looney Tunes Seaport to DC Super Friends, and the world record will be "most DC-themed rides in one park."

I will be visiting Six Flags Great Adventure on Sunday, August 4th for a few hours in the evening, then all day on Monday the 5th. This will be my first visit to the park.

1) How crowded should I expect the park to be on those day, and how long I should expect season pass processing to take? Would it be worth getting a Platinum Flash Pass for Monday?

2) In what order should I hit the coasters?

3) Any interesting or underrated flat rides I should check out?

4) Anything else I should know?

I will be visiting Six Flags Great Adventure on Sunday, August 4th for a few hours in the evening, then all day on Monday the 5th. This will be my first visit to the park.

1) How crowded should I expect the park to be on those day, and how long I should expect season pass processing to take? Would it be worth getting a Platinum Flash Pass for Monday?

1. You probably won't need a FP on Monday, but budget for it just in case. SFGAdv's typical clientele will make you not want to wait in any lines with them at all whatsoever.

2. Kingda Ka as soon as you see it running, since it might not run all day. Others can fill in preferred routes.

3. Wonder Woman (if it's up), Zumanjaro, and Houdini. Cannot stress Houdini enough.

4. If you're not flying, go to Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens instead and have yourself a much more enjoyable time. If you are flying or will be in the area for other reasons, go to Hershey Park, Knoebels, Dorney Park, or Morey's Piers and have yourself a much more enjoyable time.

Edited by Mike240SX

1. Not that bad, unless you see a ton of tour buses in the parking lot I don't think it'd be worth getting FP.

2. Go to Kingda Ka first and El Toro after. Other than that any order will do.

3. Zumanjaro, Houdini, the Parachute Tower, Justice League (unless you rode one of its clones), and Wonder Women are all worth doing.

4. DO NOT SKIP THE SAFARI that's one of the best attractions at this park.

1. Flash Pass on a weekend is recommended; weekday . . . YMMV

2. Haul ass to Kingda Ka; you don't know how much downtime it'll have during the day. Other than that, marathoning Nitro is a must

3. Houdini's Great Escape; Vekoma madhouses are fun

4. Safari is a must do; but it closes at 4 or 4:30

Great Adventure is everything I could ever want in a Six Flags in New Jersey. I hope it never changes.

You're not wrong! I accept it for what it is, and it never stops me from going!

Also, I have never been to the safari, in spite of being to this park more than any parks other than my "local" parks. I am now wishing my sister and I had done that when we got tired of the park two years ago, and then maybe we would have felt more up to staying until close and getting night rides on the bull. Oh well... Hopefully it's another non-crowded day next time I go, and I can finally check it out!

This 2020 addition announcement is intriguing... I had pegged the park for possibly getting an "East Coast Racers", pretty much a clone of what SFMM got. However, unless these "world records" are mundane and ridiculous (an absolute possibility, and maybe even likelihood!), I am not sure how it would fit that addition. This announcement definitely makes the 2020 speculation more interesting though!

Question for those in the know. Is there a height limit for this park? I know there is that AFB fairly nearby, so I wondered if they would be limited. I'm going to predict that regardless of what this is, if it a coaster with any size or substance to it at all, I think they will be removing the North Star Arena, and placing it over there, bringing more traffic and revitalization to that corner of the park.

Don't get Flash Pass. Read my report and you'll understand why. I'd spend a couple hours at the park to see if you'll need it, first.

You'll need a locker to lock everything up before riding El Toro and Joker.

4. DO NOT SKIP THE SAFARI that's one of the best attractions at this park.

^Definitely this. The Sufari is practically a destination of its own.

They still use the North Star Arena for concerts constantly, it ain't going anywhere.

If they wanted to put a coaster back there they have the entire area where the old Safari entrance was, as well as the giant area between Ka and Toro. This park has plenty of room and doesn't really need to remove anything for a large scale coaster or addition. Not that we're getting one anyway - "world record breaking", "monstrous" and "legendary" can be used to describe anything - a new kids area, a flat ride, a waterpark addition, a larson loop even. Everybody calm the f*ck down lol.

As far as a height limit, I highly highly doubt they are going for something taller than Ka. We have that record, and they can still market it.

I love Great Adventure but almost all of our visits are in March, April and early May and then we avoid the place until November aside from maybe a few quick visits for an hour or so while we're driving by anyway.

I love the park, but the summer and Fright Fest crowds aren't really my thing. It's a very "Jersey" experience to say the least.

^ Yep. There's a reason why most of my summer local trip reports are from Moreys and not Great Adventure. Once Memorial Day hits, its best to mostly stay away until after October.

@ Zach - glad you guys made it it to Tony Lukes and your Philadelphia culinary experience was not a let-down. They are good steaks. The rest of your trip sounds pretty typical of Philly and Great Adventure (lol), compounded by an overall "when it rains it pours" kind of vibe. Sorry it wasn't a great visit. :/

The last few years I'll just do random weeknights after work throughout the summer once I know the park has been light/dead that day. Just enough time for a few beers, bull rides and to remember why I don't like the park in the heat. lol