TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Celebrating 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories

DOSWELL, VA (September 12, 2013) – Kings Dominion turns back the clock as the park announces plans for a celebration four decades in the making. This once in a lifetime event will include many surprises, the return of classic park icons and a chance to create new traditions and memories with your family. The celebration will begin next season to commemorate Kings Dominion’s grand opening in 1975.

“As a native Richmond resident, I grew up not only visiting Kings Dominion, but also started my career here as a seasonal associate,” said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion’s Vice President and General Manager. “I have 40 years of fond memories and I am thrilled to share some of these exciting moments with our guests during our special 40th Celebration.”

The central piece of the 40th Celebration will be the introduction of “Ruby”, a custom painted 40th Celebration horse. “Ruby” will be added to the park’s historic Carousel, which dates back to 1917. The Carousel has operated at Kings Dominion since the park opened in 1975.

Those who grew up with Kings Dominion will also notice the return of many original park icons next season, including:

The homecoming of the park’s classic blue ice cream, which was a hit with families for decades.

A complete restoration of the iconic International Street fountain, which will include a new LED lighting package and additional refurbishments.

Reintroduction of one of the park’s original classic midways, Candy Apple Grove. This re-themed area will include new ride lighting packages, return of the classic over-sized candy apples along the midway and other surprises.

The return of Safari Village (formerly the Congo area of the park) and will include exciting improvements to Volcano: The Blast Coaster and one of the park’s older roller coasters, Anaconda.

In the coming months, Kings Dominion will also make many more exciting announcements as part of this thrilling celebration. Follow us on Facebook and on Twitter to be the first to hear about the latest news from Kings Dominion.

Here is its website https://www.kingsdominion.com/celebration#&panel1-1

This is awesome!!! Candy Apple Grove is coming back!!!!

Edited by cfc
  • Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

Sounds interesting. I'd love to see Kings Dominion bring back some nostalgia to the park. I'm also glad to see Anaconda is getting some attention from the park. The ride could use some TLC.

Edited by mike541x

I wonder if the exciting improvements to Volcano include the second station that was proposed for last year? Would be very nice!

This should all be really great - I was actually a little sad looking at some of the old Great America pictures people have been digging up, because you can tell how much more character these parks used to have. Glad to see some of that coming back!

I wonder if the exciting improvements to Volcano include the second station that was proposed for last year? Would be very nice!

It's most definitely a pipe dream but in addition to that extra station, I would love to see some enhancements to the ride itself, like an added element. Maybe a banked curve or helix or something. The ending always seemed so abrupt.

I wonder what enhancements Anaconda could be getting? In my opinion, it's removal would be an enhancement, but I guess this announcement means they don't want to get rid of it. Hmmm. New shoulder harnesses like some of the new boomerangs have?

I absolutely love this announcement. This is exactly what the park needs before the next coaster. The Grove is the only area in the park that really needs some sprucing up and obviously this will be done for its transformation into Candy Apple Grove (maybe either Drop Tower or Rebel Yell will get paint). As for Safari Village, Anaconda will definitely be getting some paint (finally!).

I'm excited for the re-theming of the areas of the park. Thank you Matt Ouimet for actually spending money towards things like this.

I wonder what enhancements Anaconda could be getting? In my opinion, it's removal would be an enhancement...

My thoughts exactly. That coaster stands in a location that could be conducive to some pretty sweet modern coaster designs.

I anaconda was getting removed, why would they say they are making enhancemnts to it? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I actually think they my give it a paint job. Original colors maybe? Also, when is the last time we've seen the splash effect working?

Edited by Hugecoltsfan
I wonder what enhancements Anaconda could be getting? In my opinion, it's removal would be an enhancement, but I guess this announcement means they don't want to get rid of it. Hmmm. New shoulder harnesses like some of the new boomerangs have?

Not just new shoulder harnesses, but whole new trains. They wouldn't be able to just swap the harnesses out.

The only Arrow coasters that have gotten new trains from Vekoma (that I know of) are Rolling X-Train and Vampire (Chessington). I'd bet that some rough old Arrows could benefit from Vekoma's new trains as long as they do some track work as well.

I'd love to see Anaconda be re-done so that it is actually fun to ride (hopefully this re-working will be more than just repainting), as I do have some fond memories of riding it back in the late 90's when I first got into coasters. No idea what they intend to do to Volcano, other than find some way to make the line shorter (not sure how they could do that, though), as it is in no where near as bad of shape as Anaconda.

I anaconda was getting removed, why would they say they are making enhancemnts to it? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

We were saying the greatest enhancement they could make to Anaconda (and the park) would be to remove it. As in addition by subtraction. You can only polish a turd for so long.

This is just another example of how awesome Matt Ouimet is compared to old Kinzel. Imagine that, putting CHARM back in a Cedar Fair park! So cool!

Agreed. The more I keep seeing of this new management just makes me think that people like Dick Kinzel and Jack Falfas had NO CLUE about running an amusement park company.

I hope the GP appreciates all the additions next year! My memory of the place was i305 being OMFG awesome and the rest of the park being relatively passable as far as presentation etc. goes so it'll be really nice to see some charm and historic throwbacks to spruce the park up!

Here's to hoping we see more moves like this from CF at other properties

This is just another example of how awesome Matt Ouimet is compared to old Kinzel. Imagine that, putting CHARM back in a Cedar Fair park! So cool!

When I first looked at the press release, the list of what's being added, and the new park logo, I couldn't believe that I was looking at at Cedar Fair park. I think that this might be the 2014 announcement that I am most excited for, as a park I am able to visit.

Now if they do the same at Kings Island, it might actually get be back there!

Hmmm, renaming the Congo back to Safari Village? I can understand the other details, like Anaconda being refurbished, Candy Apple Grove getting its name and theme back, but I wonder why they are changing it back to Safari Village? I doubt they are bringing back a safari, since the land is overgrown now and used as a bone yard, and running a safari would require a LOT more budget focused separately on them, but this intrigues me nonetheless. I wonder if they might re-theme Intimidator 305 into something safari themed now to fit in with the area? Flight of Fear can stay with its current theme as a secret base within a jungle, I think, but Intimidator getting a retheme would be interesting, IMHO.

Hmmm, renaming the Congo back to Safari Village? I can understand the other details, like Anaconda being refurbished, Candy Apple Grove getting its name and theme back, but I wonder why they are changing it back to Safari Village? I doubt they are bringing back a safari, since the land is overgrown now and used as a bone yard, and running a safari would require a LOT more budget focused separately on them, but this intrigues me nonetheless. I wonder if they might re-theme Intimidator 305 into something safari themed now to fit in with the area? Flight of Fear can stay with its current theme as a secret base within a jungle, I think, but Intimidator getting a retheme would be interesting, IMHO.