TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Also, a ride similar to Lightning Run would make a great fit for the parks collection, and I bet they could fit it in there!

If Shockwave was getting removed for another coaster, I think a Chance Hyper GTX would be a perfect replacement.

I prepared two pictures from Google Maps on the available land for the 2016 attraction(s) to replace Shockwave. The first image (below) features three sections: blue, red, and green. The blue plot, obviously, is the land opened up by removing the Shockwave. The red plot is land which I am relatively confident will also be used, due to the fact that I personally spotted little markers throughout that section. The little markers looked something like this, and because they were placed next to trees throughout the forest I can only assume the "removal" aspect of this landscaping:

2046364517_th(7).jpg.8e12825fe81a71022318b4e6691dcc08.jpg

The green plot (Illuminati confirmed) is the land opened up by the removal of the Flying Ace ride (which is a rumor and unconfirmed), which would open up a much wider plot of land overall. I do not believe that the Blue Ridge Tollway will be removed in 2015, nor its land used in 2016, due to the fact that no markers have been spotted and no announcements have been made at this point.

shokwave2016.thumb.JPG.c5408b87c641d9bd70a7d95dcc640a36.JPG

This second image compares the hypothetical three plots from the first image (represented in olive) to the nearby Dominator plot (in blue). For those of you who don't know, Dominator is a medium-large B&M floorless coaster (65 MPH, 157 ft tall, 5 inversions). Obviously, if Kings Dominion were to remove the Blue Ridge Tollway, the park would have plenty of room for a large roller coaster, but as I said earlier I do not believe that this will be the case. Rather, Dominator is significantly larger than the olive plot, meaning that a similarly-sized B&M invert or wing coaster is impossible; however, a MUCH SMALLER variant of either of these coasters (aka 50 MPH, 100 ft tall, 3-4 inversions rather than 65-70 MPH, 200 ft tall, 6+ inversions) would be possible IF, at the VERY LEAST, the entire red portion from Image 1 were to be removed. Alternatively (and seemingly more likely), the large plot could be used for a grand Candy Apple Grove entrance, as well as an expansion of the walkway which goes from the Floral Clock to the Eiffel Tower, along with two or three large flat rides. Here's the comparison photo:

Shokwave2016v2.thumb.jpg.7b110e95d49985c9e1d62fec7daa4603.jpg

I prepared two pictures from Google Maps on the available land for the 2016 attraction(s) to replace Shockwave. The first image (below) features three sections: blue, red, and green. The blue plot, obviously, is the land opened up by removing the Shockwave. The red plot is land which I am relatively confident will also be used, due to the fact that I personally spotted little markers throughout that section. The little markers looked something like this, and because they were placed next to trees throughout the forest I can only assume the "removal" aspect of this landscaping:

Shokwave2016v2.jpg[/attachment]

There's no way they're going to build that small of a coaster after 6-7 years. They're going to probably take down another area nearby and try to build something bigger.

Besides shockwave's place, where else could a new coaster go?

They could (and probably will) take out Flying Ace and BR Tollway for a large new coaster. The plaza, station, and lift/launch could be in Shockwaves's spot while the rest of the coaster is in the rest of the space.

They could (and probably will) take out Flying Ace and BR Tollway for a large new coaster. The plaza, station, and lift/launch could be in Shockwaves's spot while the rest of the coaster is in the rest of the space.

y'all really are dreaming.

this park has I305, Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Dominator. . and you think they will put in ANOTHER "big" coaster?

if anything, the park is missing a "big" woodie, and that won't happen until Hurler/Grizzly go, and get a large one in that spot.

I could very well be mistaken, and we shall see -- I'm just guessing just like everyone else -- but what's coming are a couple of flats (or possibly a re-positioning of the Mouse, with something big going in the old mouse spot).

certainly not another "big" coaster tho.

edit: sorry I'm cranky. . I've had a tough day at work. Y'all go ahead and keep thinking of stuff, it's all in fun anyways.

I'll laugh if everyone's hopes are dashed and we get a small spinning coaster there. Which I wouldn't mind, actually. A Euro-Fighter or Gerstlauer or Mack spinner would fit excellently in Shock Wave's spot without removing anything else. And that's if it's even a coaster, which I'm really not totally convinced of. The park needs more flats, and I hope they go that route. A new indoor restaurant like Carowinds got last year would be great too.

this park has I305, Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Dominator. . and you think they will put in ANOTHER "big" coaster?

if anything, the park is missing a "big" woodie, and that won't happen until Hurler/Grizzly go, and get a large one in that spot.

I could very well be mistaken, and we shall see -- I'm just guessing just like everyone else -- but what's coming are a couple of flats (or possibly a re-positioning of the Mouse, with something big going in the old mouse spot).

edit: sorry I'm cranky. . I've had a tough day at work. Y'all go ahead and keep thinking of stuff, it's all in fun anyways.

A big coaster would be in the works if CF believed it would generate higher attendance, which isn't unreasonable. BGW now has more major thrill rides than KD, so they may want to stay competitive.

"What the park needs" or "is missing" or anything else is relatively unimportant. As for space, I doubt that's a serious limiting factor. Coasters can be squeezed into strange places.

That said, it could be anything, but with Windseeker, the waterpark, and snoopy installed it seems like they could do another thrill ride.

I'll laugh if everyone's hopes are dashed and we get a small spinning coaster there. Which I wouldn't mind, actually. A Euro-Fighter or Gerstlauer or Mack spinner would fit excellently in Shock Wave's spot without removing anything else. And that's if it's even a coaster, which I'm really not totally convinced of. The park needs more flats, and I hope they go that route.

I'd love any of these options! All better than what Shockwave is. Not so sure a dining hall would do well though and I doubt KD would ever replace a coaster with a dining hall - they'd never hear the end of that.

BGW now has more major thrill rides than KD, so they may want to stay competitive.

Not sure I agree with this - KD has been ahead of BGW since 2008 with Dominator and if there was any doubt then they've definitely been more thrilling since Intimidator. Heck, even Windseeker is more thrilling than Mach Tower. Sorry, not trying to start another BGW vs. KD war.

From my standpoint though, yes BGW has added Verbolten and Tempesto since Intimidator 305. With Tempesto being a cheap ride, I guarantee BGW already has their next coaster in the works for a few years down the road so KD needs to add a coaster soon to show that they're still catering to thrill-seekers and to hold the Virginia thrill park crown.

Now I wish my family could have gone to King's Dominion earlier, if only to just get the credit.

Oh, and I know this was quite a few pages back, but...

Looks like the 2016 prediction that I made on my YouTube channel two weeks ago is on its way to becoming reality...

The video description states this:

A swarm will descend upon central Virginia in Spring 2016 as Kings Dominion unleashes Fury, the world's tallest and fastest giga slingshot. Heralded as the largest, single investment in the history of Kings Dominion since Intimidator 305, Fury will embody the fierce attributes of a hornet, boldly transforming the cursed plot of land once occupied by the Shockwave and Galaxie roller coasters.

tbh anything could happen right now. I strongly think we'll be getting a giant Frisbee flat and then 2017 will be the big year for us. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm just curious. . . But what makes you think a giant frisbee flat ride is coming to KD??

tbh anything could happen right now. I strongly think we'll be getting a giant Frisbee flat and then 2017 will be the big year for us. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm just curious. . . But what makes you think a giant frisbee flat ride is coming to KD??

well I think either a giant frisbee or an s&s screamin' swing could come to the park. The reason why i say that is because nothing could really fit in shockwave's place besides a flat ride or maybe a kiddie ride but that's all. also KD doesn't really have that many flat rides.

well I think either a giant frisbee or an s&s screamin' swing could come to the park. The reason why i say that is because nothing could really fit in shockwave's place besides a flat ride or maybe a kiddie ride but that's all. also KD doesn't really have that many flat rides.

If it's between Giant Frisbee and an S&S Screamin' Swing... I vote S&S Screamin' Swing. They are super fun, and they are much less vomit inducing than a Giant Frisbee ride. (Well for me anyways.)

I didn't mean hyper sized but of course they're going to get a Gatekeeper/Banshee sized coaster in the near future like the other major Cedar Fair parks. I'm guessing around 65-68 MPH and 4,000-4,200 feet long.