TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I hope the park used this season to take care of the small things while the park was closed. Things like paint and blacktop repair don't cost a ton and are difficult to do with people in the park.

Are you talking about Six Flags Darien Lake?

Yes. That is the park this thread is about...

tenor.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So Santa's Village, a small Christmas themed family park in Wilimington, NY (just outside of Lake Placid) has been cleared to reopen according to local news. I wonder if this could open the door for parks like SFDL or SFGE to do a holiday in the park in the unlikely event that they wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarienLaker said:

Pandemic or no pandemic, there is not a snowball's chance in Heck that Darien Lake can host a Holiday in the Park for two reasons.

A: WNY winters get super cold

B: Snow!

Does Darien Lake get more snow on average than New England? I would think it's about the same if not worse in New England.

Darien Lake can absolutely do Holiday in the Park but there's almost zero chance of it happening this year and if it happens you'll all be pissed off because it would probably open with some lights and no rides as a hilariously bullsh*t ploy to un-freeze everyone's membership and bill them for November, December, January, February, March and April instead of having to wait six months to start charging everyone again (like what's rumored at Great America). I know there's a 99% chance it won't happen but I hope it does so I can read the comments.

I must say reading the comments after such a policy would be hilarious.

@jconsolmagno, the answer to your question is they absolutly get more snow than New England, they have the joys of lake effect snow from Lake Erie to deal with. 
Could they do Holiday in the park? Yes
Will they do it this year? I can't see that happening.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:47 PM, DarienLaker said:

Pandemic or no pandemic, there is not a snowball's chance in Heck that Darien Lake can host a Holiday in the Park for two reasons.

A: WNY winters get super cold

B: Snow!

Festival of Lights at the Fairgrounds would like to have a word with you... It could work for sure even with cold temperatures and snow. That event draws crowds every year.

Everything coasterbill said is 100% correct though and it would be in everyone's best interest to not start it this year of all years.

On 10/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, Golddisk said:

Festival of Lights at the Fairgrounds would like to have a word with you... It could work for sure even with cold temperatures and snow. That event draws crowds every year.

Everything coasterbill said is 100% correct though and it would be in everyone's best interest to not start it this year of all years.

Yeah, it's not like they'd have to run much... they would just have to put up a bunch of lights and run the flats and a few coasters... probably some combination of Viper, Mind Eraser, Boomerang and the kiddy coaster. Mind Eraser is built like a truck and has proven time and time again that it can run in literally anything in New England. Viper probably can too if they're okay with maybe having to shovel out the turn before the tunnel if things get crazy.

If they hate their maintenance department and have a crane that they like to play with they can also run Tantrum with one train and wheel heaters and hope for the best, That sounds like something they would do. I probably wouldn't try it on a windy day but I mean... it's not like it would have to run every day of the event.

it would be nice if they had that part of the park open for HITP (if it ever happened) but the Moose on the Loose area of the park is closed down for Halloween, so I'd guess they would just keep that area closed
(That said, Moose on the Loose in the snow would be great)

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DarienLaker said:

I say the following rides will gone this from Darien Lake:

1. Sleigh Ride

2. Pirate 

3. Hook's Lagoon

4. Mind Eraser 

I just cant picture them removing Mind Eraser. Thats a pretty marquee attraction there. Most SLC's are work horses that never die. Does this one have more then normal down time?

2 hours ago, DarienLaker said:

I say the following rides will gone this from Darien Lake:

1. Sleigh Ride

2. Pirate 

3. Hook's Lagoon

4. Mind Eraser 

I would say unfortunately the first coaster that will leave would be viper

29 minutes ago, chewie28 said:

I would say unfortunately the first coaster that will leave would be viper

No way. Predator would go first. The backlash theyd get for removing Viper would be insane.

As for real shots at removal, Pirate is as good as gone. Sleigh Ride maybe, but it seems pretty reliable. Corn Popper tends to break down a lot and Hooks has a ton of broken features but is still well used. 

I agree with those who have said that the Pirate and Sleighride would possibly be the next rides to be removed from Six Flags Darien Lake, as per the announcement of 15 rides being removed from Six Flags Parks. The Pirate hasn't operated since the 2018 season and the Sleighride is in really rough, but operable shape. Now if we were to discuss coasters, I feel the MotoCoaster would be the first to go as it goes down quite a few times a day and is a prototype model, which could affect its overall reliability.

It will definitely be interesting to see which 15 rides get removed from Six Flags properties over the off-season! :)

Six Flags isn’t going to remove Mind Eraser or Viper. There is no reason for them to do that. They’ll replace something that’s expensive to maintain that nobody cares about, not incredibly reliable coasters that are popular because the park clientele doesn’t know any better...