TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^^ It would be cool to add a large flat ride or two small flats in the area the service road leads to. The rectangle concrete slab is where the old Dragsters used to be. I've been expecting that area to be utilized for a future coaster addition.

^Thats the one. I would expect flats, but I could see a small coaster heading towards Storm Chaser.

Hmm.. Do you think the park will add anything in the field the gravel maintence road under the second airtime hill leads into? There is a ton of space, and would be even more if they got rid of that weird rectangular pad. Also, do you think they would connect the path behind Thunder Run to Storm Chaser's plaza?

The one that goes around Thunder Run's big U-turn and past the old dragstrip? They did open it!

No; a new path created from there that would follow the service road into Storm Chaser's plaza.

If you didn't know, you wouldn't guess based off of how they feel that they were designed by the same company.

They have been designed by two different persons, though. LR is Joe Draves' work while Storm Chaser belongs to Alan Shilke.

The two rides ride differently, but what about the part where they are quite similar: their first big airtime hill? Wich one is better in your opinion?

I have one quick question that I don't see has been addressed.

How are the restraints for heavier folks? I fit on Wicked Cyclone last year, but didn't fit on Twisted Colossus.

Are their restraints just kind of hit or miss, or are they pretty consistent?

Has anyone seen someone have to do the walk of shame on this coaster?

I can't speak for the other trains, but I did see one walk of shame while I was waiting for Storm Chaser.

The two rides ride differently, but what about the part where they are quite similar: their first big airtime hill? Wich one is better in your opinion?

I'd have to get a few more rides on SC to really compare. I feel like LRs airtime is more "HOLY S***" than SCs. SC felt more graceful to me, where LR is all about those quick transitions. I was also on the "slow" purple train, so I'm anxious to get back and ride again once it's really broken in.

They're both great rides. Happy to have two great new airtime machines at a park that was SBNO three years ago.

I'm thinking of making a stop to Kentucky Kingdom on a quick road trip, but the only day that would work would be Monday, May 23rd. They appear to be "open" for School Days but not open to the public. Is there a way to get in that day, or am I completely out of luck?

How are the restraints for heavier folks? I fit on Wicked Cyclone last year, but didn't fit on Twisted Colossus.

The restraint sensors on the RMC's do vary wildly from seat to seat when it comes to being locked/green lighted for dispatch. I did the walk of shame twice on the Red train on Medusa (2nd car, back car) but then tried the Orange train and was able to ride. This made me realize it's no fun and risky being at the extreme limit of what can fit.

That being said I lost 15 lbs before Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone and was then able to ride both over and over again with no issues. In some seats they didn't even have to push down at all, it was fine when I pulled it down myself. But then some seats required the operator to come and push down. RMC is good gym motivation! I don't think I will go to Storm Chaser or Lightning Rod until I lose 15 lbs again because it is no fun to be turned away

Thanks for that info. I'm back down 20lbs, but I'm nowhere near thin and probably should give it another 30lbs before I drive all the way up there.

I'm pretty sure I gained some weight between WC and my trip to California in September. WC was tight, but I did get two rides on it on different rows. And they didn't have to push and push. The weird thing was TC I couldn't even get the belt locked, it seemed way shorter.

I've struggled with my weight my whole adult life, and hope this is the last time I lose this weight and can keep it off.

The restraint sensors on the RMC's do vary wildly from seat to seat when it comes to being locked/green lighted for dispatch. I did the walk of shame twice on the Red train on Medusa (2nd car, back car) but then tried the Orange train and was able to ride. This made me realize it's no fun and risky being at the extreme limit of what can fit.

That being said I lost 15 lbs before Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone and was then able to ride both over and over again with no issues. In some seats they didn't even have to push down at all, it was fine when I pulled it down myself. But then some seats required the operator to come and push down. RMC is good gym motivation! I don't think I will go to Storm Chaser or Lightning Rod until I lose 15 lbs again because it is no fun to be turned away

It's none of my business... but stop torturing yourself with annual diets and exercise plans. Switch to a paleolithic style of eating with periodic cheat meals. Permanently. You'll never have to worry about not fitting on a coaster again. It won't even be a thought.

You could also try what I have been doing. Ive lost 15 pounds in a little more than a month. I still eat the same foods I always have (minus soda which is rare now) but I literally cut my meals in half. If they bring me a burger and fries i cut the burger in half and save it for later same with the fries. I have been running for about two months as well though and I am running 1-2 miles every other day. I don't crave anything because I am still eating the same foods. Here in a few weeks I am going to switch to a healthier diet now that I have portion under control and will indulge in whatever unhealthy foods once or twice a week.

So what is your waist size, i'm currently 44 waist...Just wondering for data points!

What exactly are those "school days"? Are they open to specific groups of people only?

Some schools take field trips to the park, to my understanding. I did that once towards the end of 8th grade as part of a week-long near graduating "good luck in high school" thing (bowling one day, mall shopping another day, etc.). Of course, it was Six Flags then!

I'm thinking of making a stop to Kentucky Kingdom on a quick road trip, but the only day that would work would be Monday, May 23rd. They appear to be "open" for School Days but not open to the public. Is there a way to get in that day, or am I completely out of luck?

They are just for School groups and their Chaperones for their study of Negative G's and forces found on the rides. Unless your with a group, they won't let you in, sorry.

What exactly are those "school days"? Are they open to specific groups of people only?

They are for classes that study the G forces and other factors of the rides. They are only open to the Students and their Chaperones, sorry.

If anyone who went to the park this last weekend bought season passes early when they included free drinks, could you tell me how that worked. Was there a limit? What was the size? Etc...

I only saw one standard size of cups throughout the park (nothing like the 2014 size, which was HUGE). It's a regular-sized (22oz?) lid-less coca-cola brand cup. I had about 4 drinks Sunday with no problem.

You could also try what I have been doing. Ive lost 15 pounds in a little more than a month. I still eat the same foods I always have (minus soda which is rare now) but I literally cut my meals in half. If they bring me a burger and fries i cut the burger in half and save it for later same with the fries. I have been running for about two months as well though and I am running 1-2 miles every other day. I don't crave anything because I am still eating the same foods. Here in a few weeks I am going to switch to a healthier diet now that I have portion under control and will indulge in whatever unhealthy foods once or twice a week.

Good job on the running. Exercise is just as important to brain health as it is your cardiovascular system. However, I would just switch to healthier food rather than cut portions. I've been consistently at 12-15% body fat throughout the entire winter and I have always eaten about twice as much as people far heavier than I am. I also still pig out for one or two meals a week where I get astonishing looks from people wondering where the hell I put it.

Don't diet. Change your lifestyle. I've been eating 'mostly' paleo for several years and I no longer have digestive issues, acid reflux, random headaches, fatigue, and a slew of other daily annoyances I used to think were just a regular part of life. Stay away from normal USDA guidelines. Do you really want to follow something that is the culprit for making 2/3rd's of Americans overweight, with half of those individuals being considered morbidly obese? Let alone all of the new unexplained chronic illnesses.

Don't just take 'gym bro' advice or listen to misinformation passed down from multiple people. Here are a few reads that I highly recommend:

Practical Paleo (easy read and will point you in the right direction)

Wheat Belly (easy read and will educate you on the dangers of our modern diets)

Grain Brain (a more difficult read, but the most informative)

Over 98% of all diets fail. Changing your lifestyle is what is important. Eat whole foods. Meat, vegetables, a small amount of fruit. Stay away from BREAD, dairy, and refined sugars. The better you eat Monday-Friday the less you have to give a crap when you go out to grab some food and beer on Saturday nights. Also research intermittent fasting (16/8) for a more natural way to eat that will melt fat off of you.

From yesterday afternoon:

26179949863_596efa5017_c_d.jpg

26690592812_a906de96d2_c_d.jpg

I got 5 rides on Storm Chaser. Like other people have said, the airtime is noticeably better in the front, and IMO, the first drop is better in the front, too, because of the awesome hangtime. The airtime on this ride is intense, but it's nothing compared to Lightning Run's finale. I'd still rank Lightning Run as the best coaster in the park.

Cyclos really surprised me. I thought the counterweight would take away from the intensity, but by the time it was making full revolutions, it felt like it was pulling at least 5 g's through the bottom, and gave me a bit of tunnel vision. I wish I'd gotten a chance to re-ride it before the thunderstorm closed everything down.

T3 was actually even worse than I remembered. It's the same old T2, shuffling around like crazy, just replace the headbanging with a lap restraint that stabs painfully into your thighs. There's no reason to ride this more than once.

Thunder Run had some nice airtime and really powerful lateral g's through the turns. It's pretty rough, but not in a torturous way like T3.

and the Larson drop tower, amazing, as always

Good job on the running. Exercise is just as important to brain health as it is your cardiovascular system. However, I would just switch to healthier food rather than cut portions. I've been consistently at 12-15% body fat throughout the entire winter and I have always eaten about twice as much as people far heavier than I am. I also still pig out for one or two meals a week where I get astonishing looks from people wondering where the hell I put it.

Don't diet. Change your lifestyle. I've been eating 'mostly' paleo for several years and I no longer have digestive issues, acid reflux, random headaches, fatigue, and a slew of other daily annoyances I used to think were just a regular part of life. Stay away from normal USDA guidelines. Do you really want to follow something that is the culprit for making 2/3rd's of Americans overweight, with half of those individuals being considered morbidly obese? Let alone all of the new unexplained chronic illnesses.

Don't just take 'gym bro' advice or listen to misinformation passed down from multiple people. Here are a few reads that I highly recommend:

Over 98% of all diets fail. Changing your lifestyle is what is important. Eat whole foods. Meat, vegetables, a small amount of fruit. Stay away from BREAD, dairy, and refined sugars. The better you eat Monday-Friday the less you have to give a crap when you go out to grab some food and beer on Saturday nights. Also research intermittent fasting (16/8) for a more natural way to eat that will melt fat off of you.

Quoted for good, honest advice. Don't pay too much attention to any crap you see on tv. Look within yourself and you will know what you are doing wrong. There is no safe, quick fix to obesity as TV may suggest.

There is no safe, quick fix to obesity as TV may suggest.

This is absolutely correct. At the same time, not every piece of advice will work for everyone. It's up to you to find your own sweet spot that works. In my case, that's walking for an hour per day, cutting out sugary drinks and daily alcohol intake, and portion control. For some people, it's the paleo diet. For others, it's going to the gym. Do research, try different things, and when you find the one that's tailored for you, stick with it.

Good luck!

Quoted for good, honest advice. Don't pay too much attention to any crap you see on tv. Look within yourself and you will know what you are doing wrong. There is no safe, quick fix to obesity as TV may suggest.

Yeah I am not really following any kind of diet I just felt like i was eating way too much, which seems to be correct because I haven't really felt hungry after eating half portions of my meals.