TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

So wouldn't the people being overly positive be just as bad considering they haven't rode?

There are some that have legitimately rode and are confirming the suspicious of the people you hare shaking your head at. so I smh at your smh

I am very excited to ride Storm Chaser! It may not be the best roller coaster ever or as good as RMCS but it still looks amazing.

So wouldn't the people being overly positive be just as bad considering they haven't rode?

There are some that have legitimately rode and are confirming the suspicious of the people you hare shaking your head at. so I smh at your smh

I'm not talking about folk on here.

I've been reading reviews of the ride from yesterday's media day and after watching videos and whatnot, I can only say one thing: Just WAIT until the ride runs faster. The purple train runs slower than the blue. As a matter of fact, the fastest time we clocked on Storm Chaser VIA the control panel on the blue train was 11 seconds faster than the fastest time clocked on purple. 11 SECONDS! A lot of this was because of track prep/conditions/weight. There was minimal hesitation through the ending, especially the final overbank. Can't wait to see reviews once the ride is broken in more.

Wow, an 11 second difference is crazy!! haha

I've been reading reviews of the ride from yesterday's media day and after watching videos and whatnot, I can only say one thing: Just WAIT until the ride runs faster. The purple train runs slower than the blue. As a matter of fact, the fastest time we clocked on Storm Chaser VIA the control panel on the blue train was 11 seconds faster than the fastest time clocked on purple. 11 SECONDS! A lot of this was because of track prep/conditions/weight. There was minimal hesitation through the ending, especially the final overbank. Can't wait to see reviews once the ride is broken in more.

11 seconds is a huge difference. I assume that will even out but now I'm going to be trying for the blue train during my visit, even if both trains are running the same by then.

Still would love to go ride it, but wow that has to be the worst ending to a great coaster that I've ever seen.

I'd rather have the coaster lose steam towards the end of the ride and use up all of it's energy than have it slam into the brakes full speed. If it ended before the helix/overbank, people would complain that it hits the brakes with way too much speed and they under utilized the coaster's potential. Now that they actually use up every last bit of energy, enthusiasts complain. What is life.

It seems to me that most of the conversions follow a basic pattern. Inconsistent ride, with some balls-out crazy till the end, others petering out through the final elements, whether due to trains or time of day etc. Anyone who's read the reviews of NTG, Iron Rattler, and Wicked Cyclone shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

It seems to me that most of the conversions follow a basic pattern. Inconsistent ride, with some balls-out crazy till the end, others petering out through the final elements, whether due to trains or time of day etc. Anyone who's read the reviews of NTAG, Iron Rattler, and Wicked Cyclone shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

Iron Rattler perhaps, but I really thought NTAG and Wicked Cyclone were awesome up until the brake run!

It seems to me that most of the conversions follow a basic pattern. Inconsistent ride, with some balls-out crazy till the end, others petering out through the final elements, whether due to trains or time of day etc. Anyone who's read the reviews of NTAG, Iron Rattler, and Wicked Cyclone shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

Iron Rattler perhaps, but I really thought NTAG and Wicked Cyclone were awesome up until the brake run!

I haven't been on Iron Rattler, but New Texas Giant was all-out crazy from beginning to end.

If it ended before the helix/overbank, people would complain that it hits the brakes with way too much speed and they under utilized the coaster's potential.

I think my issue with the layout (and this is coming from someone who's only seen a video) isn't so much that is has a slower finale, slow finales can be fine. The problem I see is that the final little overbank seems extremely out of place in such a low-speed setting. It's obvious they thought this thing was going to be taking that final section at a much higher speed.

I read a lot of comments throughout opening season about Wicked Cyclone being very temperamental, and on some rides it can crawl through the end. NTAG some have said can vary depending on time of day. I've been following the coverage of all the conversions pretty closely and inconsistent ride experience seems to be a theme among all except possibly Medusa and Twisted Colossus (just guessing but I'd say that's probably because there's been a lot less commentary among enthusiasts about Medusa overall, and Twisted Colossus ends both halves with so much speed no petering out is possible). Can't wait until I get the chance to try all of them for myself.

My main point is just that I don't think anyone should cast final judgement on this ride until it's broken in more, they've ridden it under a variety of circumstances, and both trains are running in top form.

Really, the only issue I have with the ride is the final helix being just 'meh'. Otherwise, you are still getting great airtime on all four of the bunny hops despite how slow it looks in the video. It's another case of the front POV not doing this ride justice (for the most part). I 100% believe that the ride overall still is more intense than Goliath.

It may not beat Wicked Cyclone for me, but it's by absolutely no means a weak ride. I wouldn't be surprised to see it crack many people's Top 10-15

If it ended before the helix/overbank, people would complain that it hits the brakes with way too much speed and they under utilized the coaster's potential.

I think my issue with the layout (and this is coming from someone who's only seen a video) isn't so much that is has a slower finale, slow finales can be fine. The problem I see is that the final little overbank seems extremely out of place in such a low-speed setting. It's obvious they thought this thing was going to be taking that final section at a much higher speed.

You should write RMC a letter of suggestions and submit it with your job application.

Wicked Cyclone was so tempermental due to the paint rubbing off the first month (hence why new I-Box's have the unpainted strip), and then getting hit with the SFNE botched train curse. This year it seems to have been fixed and by all accounts it has been flying.

I have to agree with you. I have not ridden the ride. However, visually it looks out of place. In every video on and off it even gives off the feel of it being out of palace.

With that stated, I do love slower elements of rides. I feel they can provide interesting sensations. I can only speak for the looks. I have heard mainly "awkward" feels toward the end. What are some other thoughts?

I find it positively bizarre that RMC would have a problem with paint slowing their trains down when all steel coaster track is painted and I've never heard of other rides having this problem.

It's the nylon wheels. No other steel coaster manufacturer uses nylon wheels, so that's why you never see that problem. Schilke wants these I-Box conversions to ride like woodies. The nylon wheels give the closest feel to that. The problem with nylon wheels is that they do a number on the track, which includes ripping the paint off the track. Until all the paint is ripped off where the wheels run, it causes a lot of friction, which slows the ride down considerably. As others have noted, Wicked Cyclone had this problem all of last year. It's not a coincidence that the I-Box track that showed up for this years projects had the paint stripped off where the wheels run.

Popped into the park today between storms, appropriately, to check out Storm Chaser! What a great ride. It was my first RMC, so my expectations were high. That barrel roll drop is so bizarre, but awesome! Relentless airtime, laterals... loved it. I also didn't find the ending out of place, as some have mentioned. I agree that it looked odd in the POV, but the on-ride experience didn't seem out of place. Just an overall fun, intense ride!

In other news: Seems that Thunder Run is due for some track work again. There were quite a few headache inducing ker-chunks in there today. I'm a huge wooden coaster fan, so I expect and enjoy the roughness, but this seemed excessive. Hopefully there's some more work in the near future as this can be a really fun ride.

IMG_0984.thumb.JPG.087b6e937b59c4c8dc4d3d1b1891681d.JPG

Whee!