TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

XScream Climb to dizzying heights on our 140’ drop tower thriller! Feel the butterflies as you ascend, then free-fall back down to earth…it’s a scream!

www.waldameer.com/attractions_coasters.asp

Ah okay, I guess I'm mistaken, but Waldameer's felt no where near as tall or thrilling as Kemah's or Morey's, weird...

I agree, when I went to Waldameer the drop tower didn't seem anywhere near 140' tall, and I thought it was only around 100'. In that case, I hope it does end up being an ARM tower that gets built. The one at Waldameer is terrifying, but it is still insanely fun. It would make a great addition to a small park like Beech Bend.

^^I watched a video of it dropping, and timed the drop. The drop took about 3.13 seconds. With a knowledge of Physics:

Delta X = v(subscript i)t + 0.5at^2

Delta X = distance dropped

v(subscript i) = initial velocity

t = time it took to drop

a = acceleration due to Earth's gravity

v(subscript i) = 0 m/s

t = 3.13 s

a = 9.81 m/s^2

Delta X =(0 m/s * 3.13 s) + ((0.5 * 9.81 m/s^2)*(3.13s)^2)

Delta X = 0 m/s^2 + 48 m

Delta X = 48.0537945 m = 157.65806 ft

Reasoning-based proof that Waldameer has the correct height:

Since I timed it with my hand and my reaction, (which is not instantaneous) there will be some inaccuracy with the time the vehicle is dropping, which will mean the calculated height will be slightly different. Since my calculated height is 12% higher than what Waldameer advertises, we have to assume that Waldameer's data is correct, because no park would advertise a thrill ride to be shorter than it really is, because the GP generally seems to think that taller = better, which would mean more GP will ride it, which will mean more revenue for the park.

Delta X = 140 ft = 42.672 m

42.672 m = (0 m/s * 3.13 s) + ((0.5*9.81 m/s^2)*t^2)

42.672 m = 0 m/s^2 + ((0.5*9.81 m/s^2)*t^2)

42.672 m = 0.5*9.81m/s^2 * t^2

8.69969419 s^2 = t^2

t = 2.949524401 s

Now, to calculate my percent error caused by my reflexes:

percent error = ((experiment-based value/accepted value) - 1)*100%

experiment-based value: 3.13 s

accepted value: 2.949524401 s

((3.13 s / 2.949524401 s) - 1)*100% = 6.1188034%.

This proves that the percent error of my time versus the real time is 6.1188034%.

...When in doubt, overdo it.

^There's something great about ARM and Larson's towers. After a while on coasters, that weird, tickle-like feeling in your stomach when experiencing extreme airtime goes away, and doesn't come back until after not riding anything during the off season, and generally doesn't occur unless I get on something with a huge drop early on in the season (the feeling can take months to recharge for some reason.) Yet, no matter how many times I ride ARM and Larson towers, that feeling comes back every... single... time. What is in their drop mechanism that makes them so great? I don't see any mechanics at the top of the ride, so what is it that makes it more intense? Is it because they brake late? They can't be launched down because then that would mean that the acceleration would be greater than 9.81 m/s^2, which means that it would not be 140 feet tall based on my calculations. Or could it be due to a possible relative lack of wind resistance thanks to the small size of the cars? This is something that has baffled me since I rode my first one at Cypress Gardens in 2007.

I think the general mix of small car/restraints you can just slide sideways out of if you tried/stopping when your feet touch the ground. I remember riding the one at Waldameer by myself on a really windy day and feeling the entire tower twist back and forth as I went up. I love the gruntingly powerful 10 feet of stop at the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Beech Bend has named their new drop tower...from their Facebook page:

Introducing to Beech Bend park in 2012, Zero-G! The name of our tallest ride ever has been chosen! Zero-G is in reference to the zero gravity forces (or lack thereof) that you will feel while riding! Riders will feel weightless during their descent. Congratulations to Lorna Kirby on the winning name! You will be receiving a message shortly. And thanks to everybody for guessing! Make sure you check out our website for more information on Zero-G!

I live in Nashville, but I used to go to school at WKU and loved having this park a few minutes away from campus. A lot of my friends were in the shows so I always used that as an excuse to go visit. I would love to go back up to get on such an awesome drop tower...and of course rumbler! Meet up?! haha

• 5 months later...
I just got the latest Beech Bend email newsletter which stated, "The Haunted House had been dismantled, the floors have been re-done, and the new track system has been installed. We're anxiously waiting on the arrival of the new four person ride cars and many new scary tricks and surprises!"

Well, fast forward to June 2012 and what we now have is an attraction that's bloomin' well terrifying!

Seriously, ghost trains don't normally scare me. But this one freaked me the hell out! Job well done Beech Bend. I am going to resist going into detail about the scenes inside as it would spoil the surprise. But what I will say is that it is an experience where things like to get up close and personal. You'll have to experience it for yourself to see what I mean by this.

Few more thoughts about the park:

Really pleasant atmopshere. Everyone was having a good time.

Kentucky Rumbler is no Thunderhead, but it's still pretty darn awesome! Its got laterals galore. Its got airtime and boy does it go some on the speed stakes.

The staff at Beech Bend should be given awards and medals for their awesomeness (so friendly)! Especially the ex New Yorker I got chatting too at admissions. I got the impression that she loved my accent somewhat.

I really appreciated the free soft drinks seeing as I was practically melting!

I was able to revisit this park a few weeks ago and zero-G was great. I'm glad they got a new tower, but I loved the old one as well! First drop tower that actually scared my girlfriend. She has never had a problem with towers so I'm glad this got to her haha. The ghost train update was great. I am very happy with what they were able to do for it. I think this park is great, not to mention the other amazing flats such as the sizzler, scat 2, and Michael Jackson's Sea Dragon.

Really pleasant atmopshere. Everyone was having a good time.

Kentucky Rumbler is no Thunderhead, but it's still pretty darn awesome! Its got laterals galore. Its got airtime and boy does it go some on the speed stakes.

While I love Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead has a slight edge. But for Beech Bend, Kentucky Rumbler is a great ride and has an awesome layout! It's one of my favorite GCI coasters. I just don't like the fact that you have to walk around if you want to reride (even if there is no one in line) but the ride is still great!

And it's good to hear that the ghost train got a remodel. It was easily the most popular ride at the park when I visited Labor Day Weekend in 2010, as it was the only ride with a line! (20 minutes in fact!) The park is definitely worth coming back to.

I just don't like the fact that you have to walk around if you want to reride (even if there is no one in line) but the ride is still great!

Ugh, I hate when parks have this policy. If Holiday World approves, I don't understand why Beech Bend or Cedar Fair wouldn't...especially when coasters have unnecessarily long exit paths (like Rumbler does).

• 2 months later...

I just got an email from Beech Bend:

What's New You Ask?

GO-CARTS!!! Our new go-carts have finally arrived and they are awesome! We've been waiting patiently almost a year for these new high-tech go-carts. They have on-board sound systems that coach you through your very own Nascar style race. From beginning instructions to the finish line, every car is controlled by wire-less signals giving each racer a fair shot to cross the finish line first! You've got to give them a spin.

This weekend is the last operating weekend of 2012.

• 1 month later...
Are you guys excited about our announcement tomorrow? Remember, check back tomorrow for the news on our expansion! It is a very unique ride to our area, and will serve as the premier thrill ride for Beech Bend Park!

What is Beech Bend hinting at on their Facebook page?

61411_10151121452036555_905899782_n.jpg

We present to you a Chance Model Revolution! Chance is the same company that built our Sea Dragon and Grand Carousel, so this ride will be top notch! Up to 20 riders spin at 9 rpm, then the giant swing arm begins to swing up to 60 feet in the air! Riders are suspended upside down at the top of the swing! This will be the premier thrill ride at Beech Bend Park!

Link

What's New You Ask?

GO-CARTS!!! Our new go-carts have finally arrived and they are awesome! We've been waiting patiently almost a year for these new high-tech go-carts. They have on-board sound systems that coach you through your very own Nascar style race. From beginning instructions to the finish line, every car is controlled by wire-less signals giving each racer a fair shot to cross the finish line first! You've got to give them a spin.

Go Karts? There's too much of them already in the world.

Very cool addition, it's a great fit for the park and makes it an even more attractive stop for me whenever I get back to that area. Interesting that they went with Chance rather than Zamperla or one of the myriad of other companies that make these things now. I haven't seen Chance do very much lately, though I understand they do a lot of fabrication for other companies.

What's New You Ask?

Go Karts? There's too much of them already in the world.

KENTUCKY THO