TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

In case you were wondering, I got 6 rides in, The back seat, front seat, and throughout the train. great floter airtime in the back and middle of the train. Even some good ejector airtime in the front seat! All around, no matter where you ride this coaster, it's a good ride. Can't wait to ride it when it's hot, humid, and all warmed up from a day's worth of running, it'll be insane!

Yeah, I thought that, too, but I didn't want to say it becuase I wasn't sure. Speaking of the brakes, the brakes on Rumbler only have a small "brake pad" area that actually touches the trains, Clair from GCI explained they actually get more braking power out of this, and the pads are interchangable, so you never have to replace brakes, just throw a new pad in there. Pretty cool.

^At the very least you could trim Thunderhead in the station fly-thru...

JC

EDIT: Actually now thinking of it, you could trim almost every single GCI made. Off the top of my head, I know the two ROAR's have large-ish bunny type hills in the middle of the ride you could put a trim on, Lightning Racer has straight track coming into the "waterfall" area, and Gwazi has straight first drops, and also a few straight bunny hills along each course.

GCI's aren't immune to future trimming.

As far as I know, you can trim ANY coaster with straight track. It doesnt even have to be flat, just straight. And dont try to tell me that GCI's are ALWAYS turning, because there IS straight track on them.

Talking with the GCI designer (Jeff) it seems that they take great pride in designing the ride the way it should be from day one, and I seriously doubt they would be behind any thing to lesson the ride experience or tame down the ride. Besides, they run so smoothly I don't foresee anybody even in the general public having any problem with the two GCi's I've been on: Kentucky Rumbler and Thunderhead

Personally I don't find that the GCI's are really wild enough or forceful enough for a trim..... This isn't a bad thing, GCI's rock, but compared to some CCI's and others they just don't have the chaotic energy that borders on battery.

That's true, but based on how the rumbler rode in midmarch, without warming up and on a very cool day, I think this is going to be one intense ride. The only thing missing is the roughness that makes you feel like you're fighting a battle with the coaster. There's something to be said about a good CCI woodie, but I like the GCI's just as well.

Just watched the Discovery Channel Special!

I bumped up the tv special thread, but this is worth posting in, as well.

Really enjoyed the look at this coaster - and hearing the comparisons (and non-) about all three coasters coming up (this one, Voyage & El Toro)..and you know what?

I'm kind of Rootin' Fer the Rumbler!

Hope the family gets a good turnout to afford that second set of cars, lol.

(EDIT: ^5 Just watched the vid. Looked great there! Some good speed on it, it looks like. Woot!)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

Elissa and I have just returned from a really short, but really GREAT trip to ride the new mid-west wooden coasters: The Voyage at Holiday World and Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Park.

All I can say is both of these rides are *GREAT!!!* (Spoken like Tony the Tiger!)

We have a complete photo and video update of BOTH parks and coasters including a full POV of both rides.

So what are you waiting for? Go check out the update!

The Voyage and Holiday World:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/voyage/voyage1.htm

Kentucky Rumbler and Beech Bend Park:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/rumbler/rumbler1.htm

Why didn't you guys tell me you were in the area? I'd be there in a heartbeat. Oh well, Im treating some fellow school members to a trip to HW soon enough

Also, NINETY DEGREES!!!!

EDIT ONCE MORE! By the way..is it possible to do both HW and BB on the same day, and still come back to Cincinnati, Ohio that same night?

Thanks for the great updates Robb- as usual enhanced significantly by the observational captions!

The Voyage has so many different aspects in one ride - the quirkiest I thought was what I call 'the side hill' just before you go into the 1st of the 90 DEGREES. The track takes a shallow bend at nearly 90 DEGREES and you go round the outside and are simply ejected sideways at full speed. WOW - hurrah for restraints then. I have never ridden a wooden coaster with that element before. I hope I didn't imagine that

Definately the Voyage is my No.1 'single ride' experience (not to be confused with single rider) and certainly in my top 10, but the Kentucky Rumbler is assured a place in my top 5 no doubt. Cornball Express is still my No.1 - can't wait to ride Hades, but that has to wait until 2007

Crikey, Joe (Parktrips) certainly gets about. Joe you seem to have at least as many randomly spaced trips as R&E you lucky man.

SteveC

Great PTR! I didn't know that Holiday World had that many 'tree hugging' rides of wood, they were looking very nice with the forest, trees and the 'lake'. Also Kentucky Rumbler and of course Voyage look really great, it's good that new very good woodies are still being built.

I really liked this update, had so many good photographs in it, as usual!

This makes me want to go to Holiday World so badly

That scambler ride looks like its made out of lego, seriously! Also Pinifari loopers are good fun to ride, as they are soo poo!

I can't believe I drove past Holiday World.

I need to get to Holiday World.

At least I'll get to Holiday World NEXT year.

Thanks for the tease, you big lug!