TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

Very cool addition, it's a great fit for the park and makes it an even more attractive stop for me whenever I get back to that area. Interesting that they went with Chance rather than Zamperla or one of the myriad of other companies that make these things now. I haven't seen Chance do very much lately, though I understand they do a lot of fabrication for other companies.

Chance sells/manufacturers the park model of the ride for KMG. They bought the original! It also probably helps Chance isn't too far away in Wichita.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Beech Bend announced on Facebook today they have purchased a couple of rides from Zamperla, curious to see what they may be.

Beech Bend Park President, Dallas Jones and Zamperla Rides Consultant, Ramon Rosario shake hands to seal the deal to purchase a new ride for Beech Bend. Did we say "ride"? We should have said "rides"! Follow our Facebook page for a major announcement in a few short days.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the additions was an Air Race, given that they have become quite popular. Not exactly sure where they would possibly place it given its large ride pad, though. Only locations I can think of that would allow it to fit would be where the Magnolia and Carousel shelters stand between the Haunted House and the Wild Mouse.

Something like an Air Race would probably pull me to finally give the park a first-time visit in 2015... 'Tis a shame I'm a Kentuckian who still hasn't been to BBP yet.

Considering that one of the best wooden coasters in the US is almost always a walk-on, yes, it is indeed a shame. You really can just marathon the Rumbler very easily, that is, if you don't mind having to constantly walk down the weird exit down to the Rumbler Cafe and back to the queue over and over. If I didn't know any better, you could literally call the Rumbler a "backyard roller coaster" for Bowling Green.

Though it does really need a lot more attractions to keep visitors from just repeating the same rides over and over again, it can be a pretty nice park for those who seek what can be considered non-existing lines, if a bit pricey.

^ That was the problem I had with the park. It's too expensive for what they have. Fortunately, I used my Club TPR discount and paid a reasonable admission. Plus, as said, Rumbler was a walk-on all day long (and this was Labor Day weekend!). I may have to add a day to my Holiday World/Kentucky Kingdom trip this year just to marathon Rumbler again!

Beech Bend made another post yesterday, along with teasing one of the new attractions.

10409728_10152437214991555_4526233682635601567_n.jpg.c56deb587ef929e2534c3af2c92553ef.jpgWhat is that? It is a piece of our new ride...well one of our new rides! A big release is coming Monday afternoon! Until then, ponder the picture

Looks like one of the propellers on the arm of an Air Race. Most likely getting one then. Though I'm still anxious for the announcement on Monday; more curious about the other rides.

Beech Bend Park announces 5 New Rides and Park improvements for next Year. A Zamperla Air Race, Flying Carousel, Monster Truck ride for kids and 2 new models of the Sizzler and the Tornado. Sounds like a good line up for them.

http://www.beechbend.com/AmusementPictures2015/Press%20Release%20Update%2012-6-14.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,-1,783

Very nice additions for next year, especially the air race and new wave swinger! I remember back in 2007 when they attempted to bid on Wild West World's model and their Flying Scooters, but lost. I don't know where the wave swinger went, but the flyers unfortunately were bought by Granite Park, which never got off the ground. I am curious to see what the Monster Truck ride looks like, I figure though it is probably intended for kids.

Only wish they didn't have the 5th ride be a new model of the Tornado; that is probably one of the least fun rides I have ever been on. The concept is nice on paper, but trying to spin it in the air in reality is just frustrating.

Excellent additions! For a small park like Beech Bend, adding five new flats in one year is just as major as a new coaster and shows that the park is committed to continuously improving their offerings however they can. While not a spectacular park, I enjoyed Beech Bend on my visit this summer and hopefully it will grow enough to justify another visit next time I'm in Kentucky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Beech Bend's Air Race arrived and was assembled yesterday afternoon. Not surprised it's a portable model, but that could be a good thing in case they decide to relocate it to a better spot in the park. Some photos can be seen up on their facebook of them setting it up.

If anyone was planning to visit this year, may be important to inform you that Power Surge has officially been removed for the addition of Air Race in its same spot. I've kinda been expecting this for a year or two now, it originally scared me nearly to death back in 2009, but ever since it was relocated across the lake to Looping Star's old spot it began to be plagued with mechanical problems about every week. Really started to show in 2013 when the ride cycle was significantly tamed. Sad to see it go, but I'm happy at least it's been replaced with something outstanding.

Nice to see Beech Bend is adding some quality flats.

This is great news for them! It's been a while since I've been to Beech Bend (2007,) but even though it was basically a glorified permanent carnival at that time, I really enjoyed it. I'm glad to see them grow.

Yeah that's the feel of the place but in a way it kind of works for them. I love Beech Bend and feel like it's a great little regional park for what it is. I'd love to see them add another coaster in the future.

With how much people comment on Beech Bend's aesthetics, thought it'd be interesting to post a picture from what I think was 1996, the year before the park reopened (or at least, the old water slides and the swimming pool.) While I'm not exactly sure of the date since I found this on a now long defunct site years ago, Beech Bend Hall can be seen in the area where the old dancing pavilion was, which also was demolished in that very year, so this may have taken between 1996-1997. They added a brand new picnic shelter as well, which can see below. Pretty much almost anything you see in the picture, otherwise, is what remained untouched from when it closed seemingly for good in 1984. The lake really was more of a lake before it was partially filled in.

Fun thing: I didn't realize until I was looking at the picture while typing this up, you can actually see a ton of evidence of the rides from the Garvin days: The old footers for the Tumblebug's loading platform where Scat 2 is today, the footers for the Wild Mouse where the Dragon coaster is, and incredibly even the old ferris wheel still standing in its original location (originally it was in the spot where the Tilt-A-Whirl was today.) Hard to believe it managed to last another 14 years, even if the last one was only while in an SBNO status. 77 years old, pretty impressive for a typical Eli-Bridge.

Beech_Bend_Raceway.thumb.jpg.47f9977baaed0dd8703e1a2aba8acaf3.jpg

1996-1997 Aerial

The Power Surge is one of my favorite flat rides, so I hate to see it go, even with a nice replacement. Air Race rides certainly provide a more "controlled" experience than a Power Surge, which is the factor I like the most about the latter. Maybe Zamperla can deliver us a new one some day.