TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Beech Bend, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

July 28th, 2005 - GCI woodie announced - SEE BELOW!

October 18th, 2005 - Press Conference set to announce name of GCI woodie

January 29th, 2006 - Kentucky Rumbler construction photos

March 20th, 2006 - Kentucky Rumbler construction tour

May 18th, 2006 - TPR visits Kentucky Rumbler: Photos and Video

June 26th, 2009 - Park opens doors so Michael Jackson fans can ride Neverland's Sea Dragon

Nov. 14th, 2009 - Largest expansion in park history announced!

Mar. 12th, 2010 - Park announces addmisions with Free Soda, Parking, Sunscreem, Tubes/Mats, and UNLIMITED RIDES!

May 4th, 2010 - Park closed temporarily due to flood damage

May 11th, 2010 - Park reopens, despite flood damage

December 31, 2010 - Haunted House to be renovated

November 29th, 2011 - Beech Bend announces 140 foot drop tower for 2012

September 21st, 2012 - Park to add high tech go karts this year!

December 8th, 2014 - Five new rides announced for 2015

November 3rd, 2015 - Spinning Out announced for 2016, an SBF Visa spinning family coaster

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Post

http://beechbend.com/Press%20Conference ... elease.pdf

Beech Bend has officially announced the GCI wooden coaster that is already partially up right now. Sounds like it should be awesome, and considering how impressed I was by their last two efforts, Thunderhead and Ozark Wildcat, I am really looking forward to this! Plus, it's not too far up the road from Holiday World and The Voyage. Shaping up to be a good 2006 season...

-96 feet tall

-50 mph

-2,827 feet long

-12 moments of airtime

-30 crossovers

-3 station fly-bys

-1 Millennium Flyer train

Edited by larrygator

Don't put too much weight on the rendering. GCI doesn't render banking on the "Rough" version of it's artwork. Once you see the artwork with the banking, it will look a lot more impressive.

Although it is not that big, I wouldn't be suprised if this is the suprise hit of next year.

God that sounds sweet, but why does it end up in ghetto-world USA? Not that I'm complaining that its gonna be close to home, but...(plus Im not too confortable around dem friggen goats...) Aaaaaaaanyway, '06 seems to be a great year for wood in the midwest already^^

Jared "now if only Ohio got a nice new coaster"Becker

^IDK, It's taller and just about as long as Ozark. It could actually turn out to be quite similar.

That is a very valid point. Don't get me wrong I simply LOVE ozark Wildcat, there are only 3 wooden coasters that I consider to be better, but I remember in 2003 when we started getting the hints are drawings for Thunderhead I was like "That is going to be way better than OW, and maybe even better than Raven." Then When I rode it I rememeber thinking "That was not half as good as it could have been."

• 2 months later...
BEECH BEND PARK ANNOUNCES PRESS CONFERENCE TO NAME NEW WORLD RECORD-BREAKING WOODEN COASTER

Beech Bend Park and Splash Lagoon in Bowling Green, Kentucky has called a press conference for Friday, October 28, 2005 at 12:30 p.m. at the park.

Engineers and construction crews are racing against the clock to get 98% of the coaster’s massive wooden structure in the air in time for the special announcement of the new ride’s name. The park has received thousands of entries from all around the world in their competition to find a name for this new mega-ride, which will not only be the most twisted wooden coaster in a 7 state region, but will also feature a record breaking three incredible station fly-bys.

At the press conference Dallas Jones, the park’s owner, will announce the winner of the contest and reveal the eagerly awaited name. The person who submitted the winning name will be awarded season tickets to the park and will have the opportunity to be on the first train out of the station when the coaster opens on May 6, 2006.

Beech Bend’s stunning new coaster is also set to star in a one hour Discovery Channel documentary profiling the renaissance in the construction of traditional wooden coasters. An English television crew will be traveling all the way from London to film the announcement of the coaster name and to talk to attendees and enthusiasts as part of their program.

Both press and visitors will have the opportunity to put their questions to the ride’s designer, Jeff Pike of Great Coasters International, Inc. (designer of Thunderhead at Dollywood, recently voted the best wooden coaster in the world) and to Dallas Jones and staff. Attendees will also be invited to take an exclusive, guided tour of the construction site immediately after the press conference. The park will offer attendees ERT (exclusive ride time) on the Wild Mouse coaster after the construction tour giving people the rare chance to experience out-of-season thrill rides to whet their appetites for the May 6th opening of the new coaster.

Wow! This is fantastic news! A construction tour AND ERT! Please post here if you will be able to make the event. Liz from the Discovery Channel is also looking forward to meeting many of you!

Thanks Beech Bend and DC!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I would love to do the construction tour, and talk with the GCI guys, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Unless, of course, Discovery Channel wants to fly The Great Chauncey to Kentucky, so that he might grace them with his esteemed, and glorious, presence!