TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

I like Pirates of the Caribbean, and definately Disneyland Paris' "Phantom Manor"

I read that Phantom Manor used to have Vincent Price as the Ghost Host, until Disney worked out a deal with the Frenchies to have the ride narrated in French. While I can appreciate wanting to have the ride narrated in the native tongue, I'm sad I missed out on that.

I'm going to go with the Disneyland version of Pirates for my favorite dark ride. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Pirates of the Caribbean, and definately Disneyland Paris' "Phantom Manor"

I read that Phantom Manor used to have Vincent Price as the Ghost Host, until Disney worked out a deal with the Frenchies to have the ride narrated in French. While I can appreciate wanting to have the ride narrated in the native tongue, I'm sad I missed out on that.

I'm going to go with the Disneyland version of Pirates for my favorite dark ride. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

It DID have Mr Price, and how wonderful it is too. But most of the visitors were French, so they re-did it in French, its only a tiny bit in the lobby/stretch though, none in the ride like the US versions, its done with music instead.

^ Yes yes YESSSS!

I was thinking of adding Indy to the bunch here. My last visit to DL netted 14 times in three days att he park! Couldn't get enough of it all.

Best News Ever, is I get to ride the 'brother attraction' at Tokyo Disney Seas in Sept.! Indy and the Crystal Skull.

I'm torn between RotM:UF, Spiderman, and Indie... all of them pretty much pwn.

Alien Encounter. Hand down. Pretty much the only thing that scared the crap out of me.

Alien Encounters would be considered an effects show, not a dark ride.

Another ride I really enjoy, and it may seem really silly, is the "Wacky Shack" at Waldameer. It has to be the greatest of the "Tracy" era.

Joyland's wacky shack is the original of all these, so I'm going with any of the joyland wacky shack clones. Phantasmagoria @bells, R.I.P.

I LOVE dark rides, almost as much as I love coasters. My favorites:

- Valhalla, Blackpool Pleasure Beach

- Flying Witch, Rye Playland

- Haunted House, Knoebel's

- Gold Mine, Blackpool Pleasure Beach

- Haunted Mansion, WDW

- Haunted Barrel Works, Centreville (Toronto)

- Laff in the Dark, Crystal Beach: this was my very first, and the first time, I cried all the way through the ride. Hey, I was little.

::EDIT:: Does Splash Mountain count as a dark ride??? If so, then that too.

Hmmmmmmm...

For a pure dark ride its a toss up between Disneyland's Pirates or any version of Mr. Toad. But if its a dark ride with a coaster section, its got to be Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando.

For shooting dark rides, nothing beats Men In Black....also at Universal.

Personally, I do not like Dark Rides that much. Sure they have good theming, but I don't really "get" them.

Well anyways, I've been on two Dark Rides:

DarKastle- BGE

Mine of Lost Souls- Canobie Lake Park

I liked DarKastle better because of the effects but as I said before, I never really got the concept of Dark Rides.

Hmmmmmmm...

For a pure dark ride its a toss up between Disneyland's Pirates or any version of Mr. Toad. But if its a dark ride with a coaster section, its got to be Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando.

For shooting dark rides, nothing beats Men In Black....also at Universal.

I didn't find Men in Black THAT amazing. I mean the sets were really cool, but I just couldn't quite figure out what I was shooting at, I didn't really get the feed back that you get from Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster. I mean I enjoyed it, I just didn't quite get it is all.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, I do not like Dark Rides that much. Sure they have good theming, but I don't really "get" them.

Well anyways, I've been on two Dark Rides:

DarKastle- BGE

Mine of Lost Souls- Canobie Lake Park

I liked DarKastle better because of the effects but as I said before, I never really got the concept of Dark Rides.

it's suppose to tell a story as well as give you pretty things to look at, occassionaly giving you other thrills as well (IE dark rides like Indiana Jones or Spiderman)

But the main point is to put you in the middle of a story, so the more fantastical, the better imo.

Fata Morgana at the Efteling still holds my number one.

A good number 2 is Soarin at Epcot.

Number 3 would be Droomvlucht at the Efteling.

Fata Morgana can't be explaned since its a huge ride that takes more then 8 minutes to ride.

You just need to see and even smell it since there are some good effects in it that makes you a part of the ride.

Fata Morgana

http://www.rides.nl/attractie/showmultimedia/122

Droomvlucht

http://www.rides.nl/attractie/showmultimedia/631