TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

The main one that I care enough to ask is Fury. The reason I don't like to ask all the time is I'm efficiency oriented myself, so when I see someone saying "How many? row 2. How many? row 3... etc." I kinda hate to bust into their rhythm and ask for a certain seat. For me it's more that I hate to interrupt them.

But I still do occasionally...

^I feel you there, especially if there is a long line. I generally don't ask for the front (since I prefer the back usually anyways) or I'll say "Can we sit towards the front?" If I'm a single rider, I'll look for rows with other single riders closest to the row I want to sit in, and then request that row.

Also, when there is no single rider line on coasters (which is most) and I get off and notice another single rider, I will walk up to that person and ask them directly if they are riding alone (for seats of two) or if they are a group of three (for seats 4-across). I don't think I've ever had anyone say "no" unless I miscalculated and there actually was someone else going for that row. I've been able to get multiple rerides on both Fury and I305 doing it this way, even rerides in the front.

It's like, is the possibility of rejection really that big a deal that you'd pass up a front-row ride on Fury without having to wait again??

I came back from my first trip to Kings Island for the first time with my brother and dad a few days ago. The park is great, and has a similar feel to Kings Dominion and Carowinds. The operations are great. I didn't eat in the park that much, but the blueberry ice cream is really nice! We went for two days, and halfway through the second day we took a quick drive to Coney Island which is a nice little place. They have an amazing Rock-O-Plane, an extremely forceful Round-Up, this weird Wipeout ride, an SBF/Visa looping frisbee, a Tempest (these things don't look like much, but they're fun!), and a Galaxy-type coaster that had a little bit of airtime on it. There's not much else to say about Coney Island. There were some decently large crowds at KI, but I was able to use coasterqueue to avoid huge lines! It's my second-favorite Cedar Fair park, obviously not as good as Kings Island. Now for the important part, rides:

Banshee x 4 - I loved this ride! It has great speed and gives the best sensation of flying I've ever gotten on a coaster. The first half is more relaxing, and once you get to the pretzel knot element, that kicks off the more forceful second half. A little rattly, but it's smoother near the front. It's not quite in my top tier of inverted coasters, but it's fantastic.

Drop Tower

Delirium

Invertigo - Not as smooth as the one at Dorney. But the restraints are pretty soft, so it's good.

Adventure Express - Really quick for a mine train. The trains also have a lot of legroom for a mine train. The turns are jerky and a lot of fun! It would probably be a highlight if it were in almost any other park.

Racer - I didn't like it as much as Rebel Yell, but still a nice woodie. Just like Rebel Yell though, first half has great airtime and second half is a little lacking.

Windseeker

Vortex x 2 - Actually not as good as I was expecting, I preferred Anaconda (which I love BTW). The rattle makes it uncomfortable to re-ride, but other than that it's normal Arrow jerkiness, which I'm fine with. Some good forces here.

Monster - Got a ton of spinning.

Shake, Rattle & Roll

The Beast x 4 - Two of these were night rides after the park closed. Really weird but super fun experience. It almost feels like you're in a convertible car driving through the woods because of the random brakes, lol. The laterals are pretty good, and that helix is so fast!!!!! The best seat is the second-to-last row. At night it's really dark, and while this coaster isn't for me, I see the appeal and kind of see why people rank it super high. I'd say it's in my top 15 or top 20 wood probably.

Race For Your Life Charlie Brown x 2 - Nice flume! It's really fast and rickety through the trough, and even though the drop is small, it's pretty good. Don't miss it!

Woodstock Express - Great air in the first drop and especially the second drop in the back.

Diamondback x 2 - Great coaster. The drop and first two airtime hills make for the best start to any B&M hyper I've been on. The trimmed hill still gives good air, and there's some airtime in the second half. Not as consistently good throughout the whole ride as Nitro or Apollo, but miles ahead of Intrimidator! I sat in the last two cars.

Mystic Timbers x 4 - Best ride in the park! I came out of my seat a little in the back on the first drop despite it being a curved drop. The rest of the is relentless speed and rapid-fire airtime hills and quick turns. The shed is kind of dumb, but it's alright. I got the snakes twice and bats twice. I thought it was slightly better than Thunderhead, making it my favorite GCI. Much better than Lightning Racer and Roar as well. The back few seats are the best on this ride. Two of the rides were night rides as well, and it was better than the Beast!

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Flight of Fear - Not as smooth as Joker's Jinx or KD's FOF, but still good, I don't know why some people hate it.

Firehawk

The Bat x 4 - Such a criminally underrated coaster! It ended up being my third favorite coaster in the park. The location is beautiful, and even though the ride is short, it's so fast and has some kick-ass force to it! The swinging is strong as well. The front seat is the best, although the back has a little airtime on the drop. It's also really smooth.

When you said it was the second best CF park, you said not as good as King's Island. Did you mean not as good as Cedar Point? Attraction vs attraction I agree with you, but we enjoy KI much more than CP.

It's funny how people have such a different perspectives on coasters. I tried so hard to have fun on Apollo, as I'm a big B&M hyper fan, but I could not. That coaster just did nothing for me, where as Diamondback is an absolute airtime machine in my book.

Glad you had a good time.

Edited by prozach626

I just wish I could have experienced any of what so many other people say about Apollo, including the return run. I sat in the front and the back. I hope my experience next Friday is different. I definitely intend on giving it another shot. Last time, Verbolten and Griffin were our favorites.

When you said it was the second best CF park, you said not as good as King's Island. Did you mean not as good as Cedar Point? Attraction vs attraction I agree with you, but we enjoy KI much more than CP.

It's funny how people have such a different perspective on coasters. I tried so hard to have fun on Apollo, as I'm a big B&M hyper fan, but I could not. That coaster just did nothing for me, where as Diamondback is an absolute airtime machine in my book.

We seem to have a lot in common. I, too, don't get the love for Apollo either and think it's the weakest of the coasters at BGW (need to get back there to ride Tempesto). I don't recall getting the airtime that Diamondback gives on Apollo despite having a few good drops in the layout.

I just wish I could have experienced any of what so many other people say about Apollo, including the return run. I sat in the front and the back. I hope my experience next Friday is different. I definitely intend on giving it another shot. Last time, Verbolten and Griffin were our favorites.

There's a ridiculous difference between Apollo in the very last row and in any other row (based on your post you may have already sat there but if you just sat NEAR the back but not in the very back then I'd suggest giving it a shot). If that doesn't work, head to the Festhaus for an hour or so and then ride it and see if that improves the ride experience.

The first time I ever rode it I thought it was fun but underwhelming but it's been slowly growing on me over time. It's not a world-beating ride but it's still an absolute blast.

I sat in the back during most of our rides, but it just never did anything for me. For me, I'd take Raging Bull any day of the week over Apollo, if that says something. I'm really hoping my experience is different this time around.

It's funny how people have such a different perspectives on coasters. I tried so hard to have fun on Apollo, as I'm a big B&M hyper fan, but I could not. That coaster just did nothing for me, where as Diamondback is an absolute airtime machine in my book.

Glad you had a good time.

Whoops, yeah I meant to say Cedar Point.

One thing you can't deny though is Apollo's setting is second to none when it comes to hypercoasters. I love the racing through the trees, down by the river, through ravines. Definitely gets some bonus points for that. Funny thing is, it is essentially a "parking lot coaster" but they left enough trees to disguise that.

This is random but I popped on the Kings Island webcam real quick just to see if the park would run Delirium today. Obviously the ride is much different than a little KMG but since that accident happened 2 hours from the park and the rides appear similar I wouldn't have been shocked if they were overly cautious (stranger things have happened, BGT closed a rapids ride because of a rapids ride accident on the other side of the world from a different manufacturer).

Anyway, it's open but I couldn't help but notice that during Early Entry the Banshee crew is crushing it so hard that they managed to block stop 6 consecutive trains (with riders) on top of the lift.

It's kind of fun to watch.

I'm sure the trains are half empty which means they're slower through the first brake block and faster to load, but it's still impressive.

This is random but I popped on the Kings Island webcam real quick just to see if the park would run Delirium today. Obviously the ride is much different than a little KMG but since that accident happened 2 hours from the park and the rides appear similar I wouldn't have been shocked if they were overly cautious (stranger things have happened, BGT closed a rapids ride because of a rapids ride accident on the other side of the world from a different manufacturer).

Anyway, it's open but I couldn't help but notice that during Early Entry the Banshee crew is crushing it so hard that they managed to block stop 6 consecutive trains (with riders) on top of the lift.

It's kind of fun to watch.

I'm sure the trains are half empty which means they're slower through the first brake block and faster to load, but it's still impressive.

That's too funny. I'm not sure I've ever waited more than 15 minutes for Banshee. They ride eats through lines like none other, is long enough to give the ops plenty of time to send trains between blocks, and the ops have the process down to a science. The extra wait for the front row is like, 5 minutes even when over flowing! Love it!

Delirium is running. Ohioans may be dumb, but we love theme parks the GP knows well enough that KI is very, very different than the Columbus fair; I'm not surprised the ride is running.

We were there the end of June and all the ride ops were killing it. There was little to know stacking on anything and they were all looking like they were really having fun. Even at closing on Diamondback the mic'd up girl was still going as if it were 4 in the afternoon. After this visit(first time there in at least 15 years) it should be the model for ALL parks. By far our best park visit in the last few years.

So does anybody know if they've done away with the turkey legs this year? I absolutely love them and I haven't been able to find them in my two visits this year. I also can't find anything about them on the food section of the website or any of the park maps.

Hey kings island thread!

I'll be driving by Kings island This Sunday/Monday and can spend time there if anyone wants to meet up!

Never been, I could do 10am-7pm monday , or I can do Sunday 2pm to 10pm.

Let me know if there's any locals that want to go ride some rides! love to meet up with someone..

Short trip report from a visit with my brother for the first time in years to Kings Island together.

Ride everything that mattered within 4 hours. He screamed like a bitch it's been so long for him. I laughed.

Still love Mystic Timbers

Front row night rides on the Beast are still in a league of their own.

Oo and I pointed in honor of A certain member here.

IMG_0623.thumb.JPG.25c8fc01e3242fd0d52ad9bae2334909.JPG

I am but a novice. Once day I'll be one of the greats.

Does anyone know why The Bat's queue starts at the bathroom by Banshee? I understand it was built 25 years ago and the queue used to go under the station, but I've always wondered why that long walk for the Queue to begin. Did it originally start down where Top Guns/The Bat's sign currently is, where you can jump in for a re-ride?

It has always been that long of a walk. They had models and stuff from the movie as well as music playing while you walked. Instead of having switchbacks you had the one long walk. It did do a little bit of twisting and turning underneath the station but it was minimal and housed some props.