TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I went to Kings Island yesterday for the first time, and I was very impressed. Right now I'm going to say that it is probably my favorite corporate park I've been to, that'll probably change when I go to Cedar Point. I thought it was gorgeous. Very well landscaped and retains some of its charm from the 70's. My only complaint is that most of the employees were unfriendly and there isn't a whole lot of flat rides outside of Planet Snoopy. I wish Cedar Fair got some vintage amusement rides for them in Europe. But I loved everything else. They have a great coaster lineup. Really the only two rides that I disliked were Vortex and Flight of Fear. Vortex was pretty head bangy in the first turn and the turn into the mid course brake run. And Flight of Fear, I don't understand how a steel coaster with lap bars can be rough. It was really jerky and pretty painful. I did like the themeing though. One coaster that surprised me and really stood out to me is the Racer. i heard that it was pretty rough, but I rode both sides and I thought it was pretty smooth! And it had some great airtime! I rode each side probably about three times! Banshee was really good. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but it is still a great coaster, and I love the themeing (this is a common trend for me at this park). Diamondback was pretty good, but it didn't have that craziness factor that I really like in a coaster. It had plenty of floater air, but it didn't feel that out of control to me. Firehawk was another surprise. It was very smooth and I was honestly scared! The whole ride I couldn't help but shout "Oh my! Oh my God! Oh dear!" I loved it! And now my favorite two in the park. The Beast and Mystic Timbers. I can't decide which one I like more. They both felt CRAZY! The Beast is smooth and felt really fast, plus the double helix was intense! It slammed me around and I loved it! And I loved the tunnels! The only thing I don't like is the trim brakes but it is still a top three woodie! And Mystic Timbers. Wow! I heard multiple people say it was just "meh, nothing special" but i couldn't disagree more! It is now my favorite GCI above Prowler, Ameircan Thunder, and Ozark Wildcat! It was fast, stayed low to the ground, had lots of airtime, some great laterals in the turn around and going on to the brake run. And I LOVE the shed! I know people wanted something more, but I loved what they had. I got all three of the monsters and I thought it was really cool looking. And I loved the overall theme of the ride and I thought it was very well done. I'm definitely looking forward to the next time I go to Kings Island.

• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoy a cold one Pour one out for your homies Bam! You just bought two.

I think you're missing Just a few syllables here To write a haiku

At the risk of veering off topic, people are just incredibly selective in what causes of death they choose to care about. People only care if it's high-profile, tragic accident, something new and scar

Posted Images

I went to Kings Island yesterday for the first time, and I was very impressed. Right now I'm going to say that it is probably my favorite corporate park I've been to, that'll probably change when I go to Cedar Point. I thought it was gorgeous. Very well landscaped and retains some of its charm from the 70's. My only complaint is that most of the employees were unfriendly and there isn't a whole lot of flat rides outside of Planet Snoopy. I wish Cedar Fair got some vintage amusement rides for them in Europe. But I loved everything else. They have a great coaster lineup. Really the only two rides that I disliked were Vortex and Flight of Fear. Vortex was pretty head bangy in the first turn and the turn into the mid course brake run. And Flight of Fear, I don't understand how a steel coaster with lap bars can be rough. It was really jerky and pretty painful. I did like the themeing though. One coaster that surprised me and really stood out to me is the Racer. i heard that it was pretty rough, but I rode both sides and I thought it was pretty smooth! And it had some great airtime! I rode each side probably about three times! Banshee was really good. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but it is still a great coaster, and I love the themeing (this is a common trend for me at this park). Diamondback was pretty good, but it didn't have that craziness factor that I really like in a coaster. It had plenty of floater air, but it didn't feel that out of control to me. Firehawk was another surprise. It was very smooth and I was honestly scared! The whole ride I couldn't help but shout "Oh my! Oh my God! Oh dear!" I loved it! And now my favorite two in the park. The Beast and Mystic Timbers. I can't decide which one I like more. They both felt CRAZY! The Beast is smooth and felt really fast, plus the double helix was intense! It slammed me around and I loved it! And I loved the tunnels! The only thing I don't like is the trim brakes but it is still a top three woodie! And Mystic Timbers. Wow! I heard multiple people say it was just "meh, nothing special" but i couldn't disagree more! It is now my favorite GCI above Prowler, Ameircan Thunder, and Ozark Wildcat! It was fast, stayed low to the ground, had lots of airtime, some great laterals in the turn around and going on to the brake run. And I LOVE the shed! I know people wanted something more, but I loved what they had. I got all three of the monsters and I thought it was really cool looking. And I loved the overall theme of the ride and I thought it was very well done. I'm definitely looking forward to the next time I go to Kings Island.

Great mini-report. Based on my visit back in 2014, I have very similar opinions to you. The only two "bad" rides to me at the park are Vortex and Flight of Fear. However, I will be visiting again later this month, so hopefully one or both of them will give me a better ride than I had 3 years ago. It's nice to hear you say such positive things about Mystic Timbers... I'm really looking forward to that one. I love GCIs. Thanks for sharing!

Great mini-report. Based on my visit back in 2014, I have very similar opinions to you. The only two "bad" rides to me at the park are Vortex and Flight of Fear. However, I will be visiting again later this month, so hopefully one or both of them will give me a better ride than I had 3 years ago. It's nice to hear you say such positive things about Mystic Timbers... I'm really looking forward to that one. I love GCIs. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! And yeah, I was surprised by Mystic Timbers! I wasn't expecting it to be so awesome! The only thing I hated is that they do assigned seating. Luckily I was blessed and I got a front seat ride, somewhere in the middle, and the back. I think I prefer the back because you really get whipped around! Enjoy your visit! I definitely enjoyed mine!

Visited yesterday for the first time since 2015. Had another good visit. Some thoughts:

-Mystic Timbers was really fun. Even better at night, but there are still quite a few lights visible from White Water Canyon

-Diamondback is still fun. Really wish they would at least repaint the lift supports. Also while the crew was better than the one I experienced in 2015, nothing beats the crew when I visited over 2 days in 2011

-While it never actually stormed while I was there (2:30pm-close) there was a good bit where rides were down due to lightning in the area. Still can't understand why Banshee/The Bat have to be down for lightning while Vortex, Delirium, Congo Falls, and Xtreme Skyflyer can all operate.

-Still hilarious that Adventure Express is rated a 5 while rides like Windseeker, Mystic Timbers, and Drop Tower are a 4

-Still love The Bat

-Vortex was fairly smooth compared to some of the rides I have had on it.

-The Beast night rides are still really good

-One annoyance: on almost all of my rides on the two B&M coasters one of their two exit gates was still locked, causing a bottle neck with everyone riding.

Ride Counts: Diamondback 4, Mystic Timbers 5, The Beast & The Bat 2, Banshee 6, Each side of The Racer, Flight of Fear, Adventure Express, Vortex, Delirium, Eiffel Tower, and KI&MVRR all 1

-Still hilarious that Adventure Express is rated a 5 while rides like Windseeker, Mystic Timbers, and Drop Tower are a 4

I can somewhat justify the two flats since by their definition a 5 is typically multiple changes of direction while a drop tower only has 1 big drop. But there's absolutely no rationalization I can even think of why Mystic Timbers is a 4 while the mine train is a 5.

Diamondback was pretty good, but it didn't have that craziness factor that I really like in a coaster. It had plenty of floater air, but it didn't feel that out of control to me.

I don't think anyone has ever intended to convey that Diamonback is out of control. Diamondback is a controlled smooth ride, built exactly how B&M intended. The only non inverted B&M that I can think to describe as out of control would be Fury.

Sounds like you had a good trip. I personally prefer this park to CP, since you don't have massive crowds. Every ride becomes a walk-on at KI when you buy a FL+.

Diamondback was pretty good, but it didn't have that craziness factor that I really like in a coaster. It had plenty of floater air, but it didn't feel that out of control to me.

I don't think anyone has ever intended to convey that Diamonback is out of control. Diamondback is a controlled smooth ride, built exactly how B&M intended. The only non inverted B&M that I can think to describe as out of control would be Fury.

Sounds like you had a good trip. I personally prefer this park to CP, since you don't have massive crowds. Every ride becomes a walk-on at KI when you buy a FL+.

YES! I loved that it had zero crowds, partly because it isn't Cedar Point and partly because it kept raining throughout the day. I'm going to try to go to Cedar Point next year for the first time to ride the new Mean Streak. I'll probably have to get a fast lane then though. I was going to go this summer but after seeing that Mean Streak was going to get the Rocky Mountain Construction treatment, I thought it would be best to wait.

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at Kings Island Monday the 14th. We've been to the park many times so we know what we are doing there. Just curious about the crowd.

Thank you so much in advance

Visited yesterday for the first time since 2015. Had another good visit. Some thoughts:

-While it never actually stormed while I was there (2:30pm-close) there was a good bit where rides were down due to lightning in the area. Still can't understand why Banshee/The Bat have to be down for lightning while Vortex, Delirium, Congo Falls, and Xtreme Skyflyer can all operate.

-One annoyance: on almost all of my rides on the two B&M coasters one of their two exit gates was still locked, causing a bottle neck with everyone riding.

Hi there. I work at Banshee, and can somewhat explain these.

The rides close in phases depending on storm proximity.

Phase 1 is the big coasters such as Diamondback, Banshee, Invertigo, and the towers. These things close first.

Phase 2 is things like SkyFlyer, Delirium etc. These cose second.

Phase 3 is the entire park. Basically, if Phase 3 happens, run for cover!

Some rides close when others don't depending on the history of said ride in the rain.

Don't know what is going on with DB, but we are waiting on new pressure pads at Banshee. We try to open the second gate by the switch after the train stops, but we can't always tend to the gates.

Sorry that annoyed you. It is just as annoying for us because it takes that much longer to get everyone out of the station and to send the next train.

Sorry that annoyed you. It is just as annoying for us because it takes that much longer to get everyone out of the station and to send the next train.

That was really what was annoying. It would just lead to a group of people crowded around pushing on a gate that wasn't opening.

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

I really loved Mystic Timbers. It has everything I love in a good roller coaster: It feels fast, it has lots of airtime, it has some laterals (mainly on the first drop, turnaround, and the turn on to the brake run), and it doesn't feel too short. Plus it had some good themeing. And I don't usually care about themeing, but I really like the themeing on Mystic Timbers. I do agree that maybe adding a garage door type door at the entrance of the shed would be a good idea. I did think it was a bit too bright. But I still loved it!

And I don't know about Banshee but it seems wonderful that the person wasn't there to assign rows.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

I wouldn't be surprised that five years from now people will be screaming for an RMC makeover due to the condition of the ride by then.

My GCI experience has only been the ride formerly known as Roar at SFMW/SFDK and the two at Hersheypark so I'm a bit limited in their designs. I really wanted to like MT more than I do.

I think the question of how popular Mystic Timbers remains depends how well the park can maintain it. Some of the GCI's I've been on haven't aged too well.

I rode Prowler and Worlds of Fun maintains it terribly. So rough! But I'm sure Kings Island could keep it smooth. I mean they've kept the Racer and the Beast smooth and the Racer is forty-five years old and the Beast is thirty-eight years old.

You rode it on the wrong spot. It's way better back 2 rows. Banshee doesn't use a "grouper" if the line is really short and/or when they have people on breaks and it's also not busy. I was there last week multiple days and it was 5 minutes or a walk on 90% of the time. It was like 10 minutes once when I massive group of day camp kids came all at once.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

We rode in the very front and the very back. I don't have a preference other than the fact that the shed is slightly cooler in the back. It's very good, but still the 4th or 5th best coaster in the park in my opinion.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

The ride has been trimmed since year 2, y'know.

We rode in the very front and the very back. I don't have a preference other than the fact that the shed is slightly cooler in the back. It's very good, but still the 4th or 5th best coaster in the park in my opinion.

100% agreed. The ride absolutely hauls and it's feels like you're going even faster at night. I think I prefer the front, but the drop in the back is surprisingly above average. It's just a really fun ride and let's get real, the walk back to it isn't that bad.