TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Diamondback looks like a great coaster, but I was just curious why Kings Island decided on this type of coaster as opposed to a launch style coaster such as Top Thrill or Kingda Ka?

They both cost around $25 million and it just seems like for that kind of money, a hydraulic launch coaster would increase attendance a lot more, especially if they beat Kingda Ka records.

Diamondback looks like a great coaster, but I was just curious why Kings Island decided on this type of coaster as opposed to a launch style coaster such as Top Thrill or Kingda Ka?

They both cost around $25 million and it just seems like for that kind of money, a hydraulic launch coaster would increase attendance a lot more, especially if they beat Kingda Ka records.

Because an intamin rocket coaster for $25 million would only be a 17 second ride. Sure, it would be fast, thrilling, and possibly break a few records, but I don't think we need any more coasters that break records that way.

I am very happy with the park's decision to build a quality B&M hypercoaster that gives a fun, long ride. It will be more appealing to a larger group of people, and definitely be much more reliable.

I think TTD and Kingda Ka are awesome, but if parks keep building them, the novelty will wear off and they won't seem so special anymore, espcially if they all are clones.

Hypercoasters have been around since 1989 and they are still getting better.

Because an intamin rocket coaster for $25 million would only be a 17 second ride. Sure, it would be fast, thrilling, and possibly break a few records, but I don't think we need any more coasters that break records that way.

Yeah, Kings Island desperately needs a very solid, re-rideable coaster. A mega coaster fits the bill 1000x better than a one-trick Strata coaster. It would be especially dumb considering that TTD is just a few hours drive away from Cincinnati. There is no B&M mega coaster in Ohio, nor is there one in any of Ohio's adjacent states. It'll be a very fresh concept to the vast majority of Kings Islands patrons.

Yeah, Kings Island desperately needs a very solid, re-rideable coaster. A mega coaster fits the bill 1000x better than a one-trick Strata coaster. It would be especially dumb considering that TTD is just a few hours drive away from Cincinnati. There is no B&M mega coaster in Ohio, nor is there one in any of Ohio's adjacent states. It'll be a very fresh concept to the vast majority of Kings Islands patrons.

I second that. I love Top Thrill Dragster, hence my name, but as you said it's a "one-trick" coaster. And believe me, when I first saw that thing in person I almost crapped my pants and I had already ridden Magnum with no problem. Now I'm not saying everyone is like me but as "ginzo" said I think Diamondback will appeal to a greater audience than TTD. Who know's only time will tell.

Plus it give KI bragging rights. Building a ride is only half the battle. Once it's up you have to market it and make it appealing in some way. if you go with an Intamin rocket, that limits you to say, "The fastest coaster in the park", or "The fastest coaster in Western Ohio". Instead, marketing DB will sound more along the lines of "The tallest and fastest hyper coaster in the midwest". Which one sounds more tempting to ride?

I like it. I like SFoG Goliath and CW Behemoth.

Interesting that the name is a little nod to King Cobra and it seems to be standing in about the same place as Demon was years ago.

I am sad though. We will never really know the true starvation ending, world healing awsomeness of Laser Snake Horse on Fire. (sniff)

Yay for KI getting a new coaster!

If they build a strata coaster that could pull attendance away from Cedar Point. Cedar Fair would not want to risk that as Cedar Point is their flagship park. Diamondback was a VERY smart choice for Kings Island.

Kings Island already gets more people than Cedar Point. Kings Island is the second most popular seasonal park in North America(Canada's Wonderland is first), and Cedar Point's place depends on how Knott's and Six Flags Great Adventure do.

I still don't see why people are upset with this coaster. It is a lot like a modified Nitro, and since Nitro is a really good coaster,(at least with the trims off like when I rode it) there should be little reason to like this. Those complaining should be happy that Kings Island is building a truly great coaster, and if you don't like it, then don't ride it.

Edit: fixed, and thanks. I knew that, just couldn't type my thoughts.

Kings Island already gets more people than Cedar Point. Kings Island is the second most popular seasonal park in North America(Canada's Wonderland is first), and Cedar Point's place depends on how Knott's and Six Flags Great Adventure do.

I was saying how Cedar Fair wouldn't want to have customers leave their flagship park. I knew Kings Island had great attendance but I didn't know it was that high.

^ Cedar Point is more of a destination park than KI is. They have resorts, where as we have a [crappy] inn and the Great Wolf Lodge, which is way overpriced. The markets truly are different. Just because the parks are in the same state, the vast majority of people won't drive the 4 hours between KI and Cedar Point. KI draws from Lexington and Indianapolis markets as well. About the only market they share would be the Columbus area.

-James"Ohio is bigger than people think" Dillaman

If they build a strata coaster that could pull attendance away from Cedar Point. Cedar Fair would not want to risk that as Cedar Point is their flagship park. Diamondback was a VERY smart choice for Kings Island.

I agree, but this is still relatively huge, and you know that something big has to be brewing for Cedar Point. Heaven forbid the "red headed child" steals some of the thunder of "Cedar Fair's baby," or the "favorite child."

If you're talking about seasonal parks I'm not really sure how Knott's fits into that category... But if you're also talking about Cedar Fair parks then yeah, it makes perfect sense! It really shocked me the first time I saw that Knott's actually draws more attendance then Cedar Point.

I'm happy for Kings Island, they definitely needed something like this just to round out their collection. How many years was it without a B&M or an Intamin?

^^It's the largest in size only. It still comes in as No.2 behind Magic Mountain in the chain in revenue made becasue Magic Mountain operates on weekends in the off-seasons. The longer throughout the year you remain open, the more people will visit, and the more money you'll make. Hence why Knott's can make make more money than Cedar Point and more people can visit in any given year.

Fun Fact: Knott's sees about 50% of it's annual visitorship in the month of October alone.

Referencing an earlier post^^ Demon a.k.a Screamin' Demon was approx where the (I forget the name) big flume/splashdown ride is near Delirium. (I got the chance to ride it as my first coaster slightly over 30 years ago. It was off by itself near the old monorail)

Diamondback is on new ground mostly (tho I think that is where they had the little island you could actually canoe out to-((see the Brady Bunch episode where they visit the park))--which became Swan Lake, which became Diamonback's Splashdown or Snake Lake if you prefer.)