TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

http://www.wlwt.com/video/17115097/index.html

....by the way, the J in JZ does NOT stand for JACK! It's James....ZACH!! Damnit!

And I saw the link was posted already. They asked what I thought, who we are, and where we're from. They only showed a small clip.

Though, we got talked to by News Plus Notes, and some other park guys and reporters! Too bad they didn't show the shirts...

I got a really nice Q&A with one of the hear rides managers for Diamondback, and here's how it went. He basically told me about the ride, and really what I knew already...but I got to the things I wanted to know. Sorry, I forget his name.

Me - "I see the lift hill's supports are different colored than the rest, what's up with that?"

Guy - "The rest of the supports apart from the lift are more of a light brown so they won't clash with the woods too much."

Me - "This is going to be a HUGE ride for Kings Island. I know lines for Firehawk were bad last year, and still are this year. Those B&M trains are great for capacity, but will there be a single rider line to improve that?"

Guy - "Well, maaayyyybbbbeeee....-wink-"

Me - "So far on the video, I've seen a mid course break run...any idea how that's going to effect the end of the ride?"

Guy - "As far as I know, it will be next to nothing."

Me - "I know B&M usually has trims to help control the ride's speed, and I know Behemoth up north had them on almost every hill...will Diamondback be any different?"

Guy - "There's a possibility there will be one on the second or third hill, but like the MCBR, it should be hardly noticeable."

Right now I'm having trouble with getting pictures up...

But thanks to all the people I met and talked to today! I got to meet MANY, MANY TPR readers. You guys have no idea how many of them are out there! News Plus Notes, Link, Adam, and all the KI guys, thanks a bunch!

-JZ'ach'!!!!

I will say that that working scale model in the Ch. 5 video is pretty damn cool. I want one of those. They really are pulling out the stops on the marketing for this ride.

I just saw they even have a webcam for the new coaster! I'm surprised!

The model was pretty darn close to the real thing...just needed...

-New trains

-3rd and 4th hill switching

-First helix to be pushed to the left some

-Last helix to be pushed to the right

But I can't complain, it's freaking fantastic they had that whole model built!

I'm just so curious how this whole thing is going to turn out. It just looks like they are going to have to really scrunch the brake run and lift hill in to fit.

I'm ready for some 230ft, 74* B&M first drop!!!

-J 'Look at my title...' Z

Although I just made one other post, this is the one that finally drew me out after years of lurking to say...

For all of those people complaining that this doesn't have enough 'new' stuff, new designs aren't a Cedar Fair or Busch hallmark. New designs were pretty much the exclusive domain of the old regime(s) at Six Flags (Batman, X, Medusa, Raging Bull to an extent, Deja Vu, Intamin Impulse, Superman Ultimate Flight, etc) and Paramount before Cedar Fair (Flight of Fear, Volcano, Son of Beast, Stealth, etc). Cedar Fair tends to build rides with a proven track record as being popular designs. Think about Cedar Point -- there were similar rides in every case with their installations in the last 10 years, they just made them bigger and plopped them down at the Point.

Not that its a bad thing -- Cedar Point is obviously a very popular park, so the strategy much work in some way. The point is that with new management at Six Flags and Cedar Fair controlling the Paramount Parks, I wouldn't expect anything unique in any stateside parks in the near future.

Not that these won't be great rides -- I have no doubt that the Arizona Diamondbacks will be a great ride -- it's just that there will be a lot less rides that are complete unknowns until you get to try them like there were in the past.

It isn't B&Ms job to design something wacky and all new. It is the park's place to first ask them to design that ride. Cedar Fair won't take that risk...

Although I just made one other post, this is the one that finally drew me out after years of lurking to say...

For all of those people complaining that this doesn't have enough 'new' stuff, new designs aren't a Cedar Fair or Busch hallmark. New designs were pretty much the exclusive domain of the old regime(s) at Six Flags (Batman, X, Medusa, Raging Bull to an extent, Deja Vu, Intamin Impulse, Superman Ultimate Flight, etc) and Paramount before Cedar Fair (Flight of Fear, Volcano, Son of Beast, Stealth, etc). Cedar Fair tends to build rides with a proven track record as being popular designs. Think about Cedar Point -- there were similar rides in every case with their installations in the last 10 years, they just made them bigger and plopped them down at the Point.

Not that its a bad thing -- Cedar Point is obviously a very popular park, so the strategy much work in some way. The point is that with new management at Six Flags and Cedar Fair controlling the Paramount Parks, I wouldn't expect anything unique in any stateside parks in the near future.

Not that these won't be great rides -- I have no doubt that the Arizona Diamondbacks will be a great ride -- it's just that there will be a lot less rides that are complete unknowns until you get to try them like there were in the past.

It isn't B&Ms job to design something wacky and all new. It is the park's place to first ask them to design that ride. Cedar Fair won't take that risk...

I think it's up to the smaller parks such as Dollywood to step it up a bit. Dollywood has already done this with Mystery Mine - hopefully they can continue it in the future.

The hills look very "pointy" at the crest of each airtime hill will probably result in ejector air.

This isn't likely considering that basically none of the existing B&M hypers produce ejector air. They're designed to produce very long bursts of floater air. And these coasters are *very* good at doing this, especially Goliath at SFOG. But, not so much on the negative G forces.

If this ride does have a single rider line, I hope Cedar Fair is a little smarter with it's placement with it this time around, unlike with Behemoth and Maverick. Waiting through 97% of the queue and then 2 trains away from riding having the break off for single rider doesn't seem like a smart decision.

Oh, I wish it were called that. But the colors are wrong.

Begin Rant> I cannot believe how much people are complaining about this ride. For God's sake people be glad that you are getting a new coaster (A B&M Hyper at that) and not some freaking Thomas Town BS.

Anyway, I think that it is funny that people are saying "oh its not origional, blah, blah, blah, its the same up and down they have always done." It is a hyper you know, that is what they are intended to do. Can you honestly tell me what wood coasters are all that different? Yes, I know you are going to say El Toro or Balder or whatever because it has a steeper drop. Guess what? They are still all hills that go up and down with a helix or two thrown in for good measure. And don't say the twisters either because they are all pretty much the same concept as well. Get over yourselves! I would take another hyper in a second, but then again Goliath (SFOG) is my favorite coaster. I also have to say that in the back of Goliath on the bunny hills you do get GREAT ejector air.

The ride will have airtime, it's foolish to think not. Look at Goliath, Apollo's Chariot, Nitro, Behemoth. They all have airtime, and there's no way this ride wont. I'm excited for the ride to open.

I think most people are just waiting for a hyper coaster to have say the 3rd bunny hop under 100ft tall so the train will fly over it and cause ejector air.

Anywho, does anyone notice how nice the drop looks. It seems to get steeper and steeper till the last second.

^^And it's that bunny hop that makes the S:ROS clones great.

I'm reserving judgement for when I ride it many years from now. But from what I see, it's really just another B&M Hyper. The only large-sized B&M Hyper I've been on is Nitro, and that really felt like sitting in a reclining chair with a fan blowing in your face. If it wasn't for that first drop, I wouldn't have liked it even close to as much as I did.

Now, I haven't ridden Behemoth, but from what I hear these new trains give the backseat riders some great airtime, as the train is much longer. I would love to ride this, don't get me wrong, I'm just not super psyched about it.

And, to argue against the idea that hypers can't be original, what about S:ROS at SFNE? That's a much different ending than the typical hyper. And Goliath at Walibi World (or whatever that park is now)? Sure, it's got multiple airtime hills, but it mixes it up with a stengel dive and a few twists and turns. Hypers can be original, it just takes some creativity, which these B&M Hypers just don't seem to have much of.

This isn't likely considering that basically none of the existing B&M hypers produce ejector air. They're designed to produce very long bursts of floater air. And these coasters are *very* good at doing this, especially Goliath at SFOG. But, not so much on the negative G forces.

LOL! You really must ride Behemoth in the front seat then. Behemoth has ejector and floater air; it's different depending on what seat you're in though. I agree with coasterbear30. People should even be lucky they're getting a great coaster. If you don't like it, don't ride it, plain and simple. But I know a lot of people here are in it for the credits, so people here complaining about how much it "sucks" will end up riding it anyways.

ok...So why can't people have the freedom to complaint? let them be.

I think people are happy with KI getting a good coaster. But what bugs everyone is the fact that B&M is not really bringing something new to the table. Being a B&M fanboy, I feel as if B&M really has not stepped up to do something different. But we all know this will be a good coaster. So lets just leave their. At least KI is getting a nice B&M that they really needed.

^^And it's that bunny hop that makes the S:ROS clones great.

I'm reserving judgement for when I ride it many years from now. But from what I see, it's really just another B&M Hyper. The only large-sized B&M Hyper I've been on is Nitro, and that really felt like sitting in a reclining chair with a fan blowing in your face. If it wasn't for that first drop, I wouldn't have liked it even close to as much as I did.

Now, I haven't ridden Behemoth, but from what I hear these new trains give the backseat riders some great airtime, as the train is much longer. I would love to ride this, don't get me wrong, I'm just not super psyched about it.

And, to argue against the idea that hypers can't be original, what about S:ROS at SFNE? That's a much different ending than the typical hyper. And Goliath at Walibi World (or whatever that park is now)? Sure, it's got multiple airtime hills, but it mixes it up with a stengel dive and a few twists and turns. Hypers can be original, it just takes some creativity, which these B&M Hypers just don't seem to have much of.

^B&M Hypers never do anything new. This is why more entusiasts prefer Intamins over Beemers.

Expedetion Ge Force - first drop, and tons of turns (and it's not even a hyper, but that's the goal kinda)

Millenium Force - 310 feet

SROS SFNE- tons of turns and dives and fast hills

SROS DL/SFA - a 90 degree turn inches above the ground. mad fun

Goliath - Stengel Dive

and compare Nitro, Behemoth, Apollo's Chariot, Diamonback, and there's not much difference.

With that said however, considering the GP of Ohio have probably only been to Cedar Point and KI, they haven't seen a B&M Hyper yet, and im sure the elements of a B&M Hyper will be new to them and considering 99%+ of theme park visiters are "GP," then it's a great fit for the park.

B&M's are much more reliable and have a better track record, so it makes sence to choose that over Intamin.

^Definately. I get that these things are built for the GP, and they don't need anything new or gimmicky for it to be the best ride in the world.

At least this one looks to maintain some speed over the hills, unlike Nitro, which just crawls. Hopefully that'll translate to some good airtime...maybe.