TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

A manta is graceful, slow, relaxed. This ride is fast, the pace in which elements follow each other up is quite high and the pretzel loop is way too intense for a Manta. The ride should have been more like Air in Alton Towers in order to be a true Manta.

Yeah, in terms of sea monsters, I always thought Krakens were the lazy a$$es of that group, yet the coaster hauls through the course. Someone on the Sea World creative team clearly needs to do more research into these things.

Great photos, Erik .. and awesome video. The whole setup looks exceptionally well done, from the queue to the Wing Dip (great name). It takes so much work to put together an attraction as complete and immersive as this, but it seems to have really paid off. Can't wait to check it out next time I'm in Florida.

Cameron.

So you're saying you wish the ride was just like the B&M flyer that gets the most hate? One that has been generally referred to as uninspired, boring, and slow? Doesn't really make sense.

Sit in the front of the train if you want the graceful, gliding experience without all the insane forces.

I just said that a track layout like Air would fit the theme "Manta" better. Go to Discovery Cove on the other side of the road, and check out how manta's fly through the water (or check the q-line hehe)!

Actually, I sat in front. And it was very smooth indeed. But it just pulls a lot of G-forces. Too much for a flyer in my opinion.

For the record, I do prefer Air over Manta...

Yeah, in terms of sea monsters, I always thought Krakens were the lazy a$$es of that group, yet the coaster hauls through the course. Someone on the Sea World creative team clearly needs to do more research into these things.

It's a good thing they built that giant tank for the manta so they could study it!

From Pianojohn's Photo TR:

There is a cool tank with an octupus. It even has a pass thru so he can go from tank to tank!

Sorry this is a late comment, but since I think octopus’s are the coolest of the invertebrates....I thought you might enjoy learning a little more on them:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090227-octopus-mischief.html

Go to Discovery Cove on the other side of the road, and check out how manta's fly through the water (or check the q-line hehe)

Just to be correct, there are no manta rays at Discovery Cove nor at Manta's aquarium. There are only different species of stingrays. Very common mistake I might add, seen a few times on this board.

Manta rays are too big for the aquarium at Manta.

This is a great smooth ride, but the pretzel loop just gives me a headache. I thought the same of Superman at SFGADV, a good ride but the pretzel loop makes me not want to ride it again, especially in the back where it can just be painful through the pretzel.

^^My work computer stinks at uploading videos (I guess they don't deem getting a faster connection necessary to actually do my work).

However, I have watched programs on how octopuses are able to travel out of there aquariums, onto dry land, in order to locate food in either another aquarium or whatever is lying about. They also have the ability to control colors that they change into (usually it is an involuntary movement). Fascinating creatures.

Great pictures. Too bad this whole week hasn't been the most beautiful of days.

Quick question though, where exactly is that new construction wall?

Yes the weather has been very dark and gloomy in Florida this week. I wish we were able to get many more photos of the coaster in action but they simply did not come out very well at all. We did need the rain though, so I can not complain about it. I think the new construction wall was kind of close to Kraken. Maybe near the locker area? Maybe Adam remembers.

This is a great smooth ride, but the pretzel loop just gives me a headache. I thought the same of Superman at SFGADV, a good ride but the pretzel loop makes me not want to ride it again, especially in the back where it can just be painful through the pretzel.

Haha it's funny that I think pretzel loops are the only GOOD parts of B&M flyers.

Anyway, for those of you have ridden it, how does the ride itself stack up to SUF? Is it just like a SUF with themeing, or is the ride itself much better (or worse) than SUF?

^ Manta is a much better coaster than any of the Superman UF clones. I still prefer Tatsu, but not by much. I like Tatsu more simply because it stands much higher off the ground than Manta. Well, its because Tatsu is built on top of Magic Mountain. Though as a full concept ride/attraction, Manta is the one to beat.

Yeah, it really is on a whole other level than any of the SUF rides. Of course SUF was more of an experimental layout for B&M probably. SUF, to me, was a pretzel loop and then some filler track to end the ride. Manta has the pretzel, but so many other highlights that you're almost constantly looking forward to the next element.

I personally like it better than Tatsu, but it seems to be a toss up among most people that have been on both.

I can't say the theming is the best for any coaster I've been on (not even the best in Orlando), but it's certainly better than almost any other coaster out there.

Great Update! The video was great, very well put together and the Manta cam gave awesome footage. One question though, who was the guy that you interviewed? Was he an employee of Sea World or B&M?

I can't say the theming is the best for any coaster I've been on (not even the best in Orlando), but it's certainly better than almost any other coaster out there.

Hmm, that is weird because I can't really think of any coaster in Orlando that is so interactive with both riders and nonriders in addition to the amount of distractions SWO has given during the line on top of things such as the "splashdown". I would have to disagree with you on that one.

One question though, who was the guy that you interviewed? Was he an employee of Sea World or B&M?

That was Brian Morrow, he is the Director of Design and Engineering at SeaWorld Orlando.

Hmm, that is weird because I can't really think of any coaster in Orlando that is so interactive with both riders and nonriders in addition to the amount of distractions SWO has given during the line on top of things such as the "splashdown". I would have to disagree with you on that one.

The only coaster in Orlando that I think could be compared to Manta may be Expedition Everest. Both have a strong theme throughout the ride and queue which are unique in their own ways. Manta with it underwater theme for queue to diving, swooping, and flying like a manta ray for the ride while Everest with its Himalayas theme for the queue and a runaway train down Mount Everest to escape a Yeti for the ride.

As for non-riders, Manta is great to look at and has an aquarium while the same goes for Expedition Everest minus an exhibit. But the area is really well theme.

I guess Dueling Dragons could be thrown in for their queue but that would be just about it. No non-riders experience and not much to see (except the two big dragons) even before construction for Harry Potter.

In the end, I think there both too unique to say which one is better. My opinion though.