TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Wasn't the reason that SWSD isn't getting large attractions was because of restrictions put in place by the local city officials. Such as height restrictions and the such.

I remember hearing they had a pretty hard time just trying to get a permit to build Journey to Atlantis. Something about the location of the park as the reason for all these restrictions which would explain the lack of large coasters.

If someone could confirm this, it would be great.

^It's true if you google it. I'd do it myself, but I'm writing so many finals essays right now, I say fuck search engines right about now. City officials in San Diego are really bitchy about Sea World additions due to two key reasons:

1:Public eyesore

2:Close proximity to SD Airport.

I'm pretty sure sexual services were exchanged for the permits and greenlight to build J2A.

^They should make an indoor flying coaster then... Dig up soe earth, make it almost sublevel, and then they can theme the outside however they would like to keep it pretty. How is it with basements over there?

Erik, great update! Even though there weren't as many pics, they are still great! I love the onride pics!!! I have yet to watch the video, but I am sure it will be great also!

I have to also disagree about the pretzle loop being the worst element. I love that element, hence making the flyer my fave type of coaster. I think Manta will be high up on my list as a result. I am going on the front first though. Trying to think back, I am not sure if I ever rode S:UF in the back....

Hmm, that is weird because I can't really think of any coaster in Orlando that is so interactive with both riders and nonriders in addition to the amount of distractions SWO has given during the line on top of things such as the "splashdown". I would have to disagree with you on that one.

Have you been on Manta yet? Just wondering...

Anyway, I'm talking about the theming of the ride here - how close does it come to totally immersing you into some story or theme. I don't mean that Manta doesn't do that to some extent, but Animal Kingdom built an entire mountain and village around a roller coaster. Do I think Manta is a much, much better ride than Everest? Yes. Is it themed better? No, not even close to me.

I think the queue line is awesome, and it's entertaining, but I don't feel like it's a better story than Everest or even RnRC probably. It's still an awesome ride and maybe even my favorite coaster in Orlando.

Also, I know Tower of Terror doesn't count as a coaster, but that's an example of immersing someone into a theme to the extreme!

I tend to agree with Cory. The difference between Manta and RnRC/Everest is that, while Manta is BEAUTIFUL, those two Disney rides still have better overall THEMEING. I love Manta, it's in my top 10, possibly top 5, and neither of RnRC/Everest are even close, but there's no doubting that the two of them are better themed.

Manta has a gorgeous queue line that goes very well with the overall idea of the ride. There are ray tanks perfectly intertwined with the waiting area. There are hidden mantas and killer whales. Hell, they even put in ray "marks" in the walls to make you feel like you're following a ray to the loading dock. The ocean, the landscaping, all of the rock work and the station building is all absolutely stunning and probably the best looking and eye-catching coaster in all of Florida...and perhaps anywhere.

However, that doesn't equal out to the best THEMED coaster. RnRC and Everest both immerse you in their experiences from the second you get in line, to the second you unload and walk out of the area. That's where the difference is. With Manta, while you're actually on the ride, you're flying over people and trees. Are there people and trees under the sea?

I am by no means whatsoever hating on Manta. As I said, the landscaping and experience is top notch and beautiful. But to say it's the best themed coaster in Orlando is a bit much. But there is no doubt that it is the best-looking, most stunning and most environmentally interacting coaster in the state.

I meant to go yesterday and today to the morning passholder thing, but just didn't wake up in time. Maybe tomorrow. The park really has been clearing out in the afternoon this week once the typical storms roll through...Manta was a walk-on after 5pm yesterday, it's just too bad more storms rolled thru to ruin the possible mini-ERT.

I remember there was a debate awhile ago about whether the ride would use water jets or if the trains would actually skim the water. I found this interesting quote in a newspaper article about one of the ride designers, Brian Morrow.

Q: "The original plan was for the coaster wings to dip in the water, sending up a spray. Instead of water scoops used on SheiKra at Busch Gardens Africa, you did the effect with a series of water jets. What happened?"

A: "The coaster designers said it wouldn't work. So we found a fountain builder who said they could pull it off. We spent hours studying water skier sprays trying to imagine what it would look like. We built a 12-foot model of Manta in a Fort Lauderdale warehouse. It threw a spray of water 27 feet high and can be adjusted."

I wish they went into more detail about why specifically it couldn't work, but I found it interesting that that was the original intent. Either way, it seems like they did a good job with that effect.

I remember there was a debate awhile ago about whether the ride would use water jets or if the trains would actually skim the water. I found this interesting quote in a newspaper article about one of the ride designers, Brian Morrow.

Q: "The original plan was for the coaster wings to dip in the water, sending up a spray. Instead of water scoops used on SheiKra at Busch Gardens Africa, you did the effect with a series of water jets. What happened?"

A: "The coaster designers said it wouldn't work. So we found a fountain builder who said they could pull it off. We spent hours studying water skier sprays trying to imagine what it would look like. We built a 12-foot model of Manta in a Fort Lauderdale warehouse. It threw a spray of water 27 feet high and can be adjusted."

I wish they went into more detail about why specifically it couldn't work, but I found it interesting that that was the original intent. Either way, it seems like they did a good job with that effect.

I'm no expert in the field, but I'm guessing it's just simple physics. Letting the front right wing tip of Ray's zero car skim the water would just create to much drag and stress on it. It would also produce a spray that would probably only serve to drench the riders, and not produce anything near as aestetically pleasing at what you currently see.

In my opinion, what they ended up with truly exceeded my expectations.