TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^Interesting, perhaps we should wait until the news gets the story straight before trying to figure this one out.

I do have to say though, if this is the same whale that technically killed two other people already (trainer, crazy guy) then I'm SHOCKED this whale was still allowed to perform and interact with humans.

Can anyone say for sure that this whale WAS in performances? First thing I read that the whale had a violent history I figured that it wasn't in the shows but kept in the back. If the whale grabbed/trainer slipped in one of the back tanks that would make a lot more sense. Any regular park goers or insiders know more as to if the whale was actually in shows?

A terrible tragedy for certain.

^Interesting, perhaps we should wait until the news gets the story straight before trying to figure this one out.

I do have to say though, if this is the same whale that technically killed two other people already (trainer, crazy guy) then I'm SHOCKED this whale was still allowed to perform and interact with humans.

That's just it. Regardless of the what the facts are in this case, maybe this will cause Merlin to re-evaluate the way the use these whales, like you said earlier. That show has always seemed a bit much to me. I can't imagine their ticket sales would suffer much from not having 7000 pound wild animals hurtling trainers through the air. They could still have a show where half the crowd gets soaked and the whales jump out of the water and everything else.

It just seems a very unnecessary risk.

Terrible tragedy for all involved and their families - very sobering news after just being there and catching the show one month ago.

Like Elissa said, I wonder if this will have them re-evaluate the live killer whale performances? Perhaps they might move to more of a killer whale exhibit and leave the bigger stunt shows to the dolphins and sea lions similar to what Marineland did in Niagara Falls?

Although, I don't believe that the removal of the killer whale show at Marineland was due to human tragedy, but the fact that their top performing whale died. Not to mention, the tank at King Waldorf Stadium seemed to be a bit small for orca's...they were probably feeling heat from PETA and/or the Humane Society and just decided to ditch the big orca show for good.

Ok now apparently this wasn't an actual show but a public viewing. And they're saying Tilly usually doesn't have a trainer in his tank because he's so big. But yes this is the same whale that drowned his trainer in Canada in 1991. Sea World bought him from the Canadian park in 92 to use as a stud.

I have a friend who used to work at Sea World & she still has contacts there. Apparently Tilly was in no mood to perform today (be it show or public viewing) and they ignored it.

The Orlando Sentinel is now saying that this whale, Tilly, was kept separate from all the other whales due to past problems. So it seems like Tilly wasn't part of the show and the trainer sadly slipped into the wrong part of the enclosure.

I'd be amazed if we now see the shows return in the current format. Despite, what must be a very high safety record for any type of live show, I doubt the company will risk a repeat.

If they rarely use Tilly, why don't they just kill him/get rid of him and possibly save future lives?

Love ignorant statement like this one

Now I do think that if they knew that he had such behavior that maybe it was best for him not to put him to perform

If they rarely use Tilly, why don't they just kill him/get rid of him and possibly save future lives?

That's exactly like justifying the murder of someone because you believed that person would go on a shooting spree.

My prayers go to the family and friends of the victim. Unfortunately, this is why we have more females of the big mammalian species in any zoo or theme park than males of the same species.

^&^^ Remember guys, just cause someone doesn't have a smilie doesn't mean they're not being sarcastic. If you've been on the boards for anytime you should know that Tyler is a bit odd, and very different from you and me!

He was just being funny.

They are called Killer Whales for a reason.

Not really. The term "Killer whale" is a misconception brought about by their sheer size and toothy mouth. In reality, there have never been any confirmed fatal attacks on humans by wild orcas. All fatal attacks have occurred in captivity, probably as a result of stress (orcas have never done very well in captivity).

Very sad, indeed. While I doubt they will discontinue their killer whale performances, there will probably be more safety measures in place during future shows to prevent accidents like this from occurring again. My condolences go out to the trainer's family and all who had to witness this horrible event.

Love ignorant statement like this one

Really? Was the rolling eyes and obnoxious, rude response to a site moderator necessary? Why did you only focus on the "kill him" part of his post and not respond to the "get rid of him?" Oh, because you wanted to create drama on our forum, that's why. Yeah, don't do that. It's stupid and pointless.

EDIT. Sorry Elissa already addressed this.

They are called Killer Whales for a reason.

Not really. The term "Killer whale" is a misconception brought about by their sheer size and toothy mouth. In reality, there have never been any confirmed fatal attacks on humans by wild orcas. All fatal attacks have occurred in captivity, probably as a result of stress (orcas have never done very well in captivity).

Yes, you are right. Congratualtions for showing us how well you can browse Wikipedia! Well done! Gee, thanks for "correcting" one of the site owners and admins. I'm sure she is very happy that you've shown her!

You know, technically they aren't even whales, but you don't see us going around correcting everyone about that either.

Please try to keep your comments discussing the topic, not insulting or trying to prove your knowledge to other members or our moderators. That really doesn't get you anywhere or earn bonus points with any of us.

--Robb "Why do so many people turn into know-it-all asshats when stuff like this happens?" Alvey

^^Actually they are called Killer Whales and it does fit because they KILL AND EAT prey!!! I'm not talking about them killing humans, but compared to a lot of whales that eat plankton and krill, KILLER WHALES eat penguins, seals, fish, etc.

The Sea World Blog Was updated with a Message from Jim Atchison.

http://www.seaworldparksblog.com/explore/blog/message-jim-atchison-president-and-chief-executive-officer-seaworld-parks-entertainment

A Message from Jim Atchison, President and Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

February 24, 2010

It is with great sadness that I report that one of our most experienced animal trainers drowned in an incident with one of our killer whales this afternoon, February 24, 2010 at our SeaWorld Orlando park.

We have initiated an investigation to determine, to the extent possible, what occurred. There are no other details to share at this point, but we will make our findings known in due course.

I must emphasize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time for the SeaWorld parks, and our team members.

Nothing is more important than the safety of our employees, guests and the animals entrusted to our care. All of our standard operating procedures will come under review as part of the investigation.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the trainer and will do everything possible to assist them in this difficult time.

We appreciate everyone’s understanding and will share more information as it becomes known and available.

Jim Atchison

^^Poor penguins : (. Oh my god, thats terrible what happened to the poor trainer. And of course, I feel sorry for the people who had to see that. Its traumatic to see something like that, especially for the kids. But it is true, like others said, that the Killer Whale isnt called "killer" for nothing.

Just heard this on the news here all the way up in New York State. Wow.. I feel really bad for the trainer and her family. Just imagine waking up to go to work and then you find yourself fighting for your life. So sad I still hope they don't remove the show although I doubt they will.

And on that Killer Whale topic, I think Elissa was pretty kind in saying they kill those animals, often it involves downright torture and beating them to death before eating them.

Kiler Whales in the wild are pretty nasty pieces of work and I certainly think they earn their name!

Very very sad. Died doing what she loved.

My condolences to their family.

I wonder how the investors at Blackstone are taking the news, this is their first major incident since buying Sea World.

Will they rid of the Orca?

Maybe they will release it or maybe transport it to one of Merlin's Sea Life Aquariums.

Wow, so sad. Prayers for the friends & family of the trainer. While this seems to be an isolated situation, I agree with the person who stated that (and especially if they keep this whale after strike number three) it may be best to stay out of the water as much as possible while the shows are in progress. Let's face it, Sea World will probably not be discontinuing the Shamu shows.

I have always loved the Orca. They are however very smart animals and one of the worlds most powerful predators. Did anyone know that they stalk their prey? For instance, there is footage of a Sea Lion on a sheet of ice. Three or so Orca literally devised a plan to knock it off of this ice, so they can get at it. This is in the wild obviously. But this shows they plan together. It made me wonder what these animals think about, being stuck in a tank all day. I am sure they are taken care of very well, and this is why an incident like this does not happen often. Anyone ever see the movie Orca? (Man kills mate, Orca goes after man) I am sure there is some reality in it somewhere.