TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AMEN!!! It's so dumb to me that a company (Premier) which made headlines and won awards and praise from all of us for taking OTSR's OFF of rides that didn't need it is now needlessly putting OTSR

Is this like spanking the monkeys?

The Ice Breaker animated POV looks pretty good, I think it will have a good amount of airtime and may be a surprise hit! With that being said can someone PLEASE explain to me why Premier insists on pu

Posted Images

Great pictures, thank you for sharing. This park has really grown on me over the past few years.

And by the way, it looks like attendance and profits are up chain wide for SeaWorld.

Attendance is up over 9% ,over this time last year, and revenue is up is up 10% as well.

Check it out here...

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/attractions/2018/10/02/seaworld-reports-increased-revenue--attendance

So I just heard that six flags has just entered talks to possibly purchase SeaWorld parks and entertainment.

Not sure what to think about this.

They do have experience dealing with sealife, and run a park(Six flags Discovery kingdom). In addition, they also used to run worlds of adventure.

On the other side of the coin, I wouldn't want them to change the name/brand of Busch gardens and SeaWorld.

I just heard this as well and in my opinion I want no part of it, I'd honestly rather have Merlin purchase Sea World Parks. I think both Busch Gardens parks would become big shells of themselves under Six Flags, would be very disappointed if this happens.

I just heard this as well and in my opinion I want no part of it, I'd honestly rather have Merlin purchase Sea World Parks. I think both Busch Gardens parks would become big shells of themselves under Six Flags, would be very disappointed if this happens.

Maybe....

Perhaps they would just leave them as is. I don't think they would change the SeaWorld brand much. The name is known worldwide not only for the name, but for the conservation work as well. Now Bush gardens on the other hand, may be a different story.

To be honest, I'm not thrilled about how Merlin manages the parks(weather policys..ect).

trust me, merlin is worse than six flags

Hey look it’s this rumor again...

Seriously. SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is growing. I really don't think that they have any reason to seek out someone to buy / bail them out of a jam. I also think that unless Six Flags just acts as a non-intrusive parent, the logistics of such a change to licensing agreements, season passes, staffing, creative talent, and about a million other things would be completely nuts.

Add me to the "I don't think that this is a good idea if by some tiny chance it turns out to be true" camp.

The companies are very different now - both of them - and if there's a takeover/merger I honestly aren't all that worried about Six Flags being able to handle it without changing SEAS' stuff too drastically. The creative head at SeaWorld Entertainment got bounced awhile back, they're building more or less "conventional" attractions with theming and getting back to free beer. That's what people want of them. The last half decade has seen abandoned attractions and store fronts galore from SeaWorld. Hard to argue that Six Flags would make that significantly worse IMO given how they've approached things post-bankruptcy.

I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

Six Flags would strip away the identity of the SeaWorld parks and who knows how they would handle an animal operation of this scale. I know that they've dabbled with animal exhibits in a few of their parks (mostly Discovery Kingdom), but the SeaWorld parks are animal parks first, and thrill parks second, whereas Six Flags offers the reverse in the parks that have both animals and rides.

The troubles these parks have endured over the years continue to be a constant reminder of how much I miss the Busch family's influence... I wish they'd swoop in and buy up the parks as independent operators.

I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

Six Flags would strip away the identity of the SeaWorld parks and who knows how they would handle an animal operation of this scale. I know that they've dabbled with animal exhibits in a few of their parks (mostly Discovery Kingdom), but the SeaWorld parks are animal parks first, and thrill parks second, whereas Six Flags offers the reverse in the parks that have both animals and rides.

The troubles these parks have endured over the years continue to be a constant reminder of how much I miss the Busch family's influence... I wish they'd swoop in and buy up the parks as independent operators.

I was saying if somehow the AB takeover by InBev and Blackfish somehow ultimately leads to me looking at a Super Loop at BGW called "Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth" or "Harley Quinn's Spinsanity" after all these years of that place being this wonderful European themed park that is beloved by all of VA I wouldn't be sure what to think.

Hey look it’s this rumor again...

Seriously. SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is growing. I really don't think that they have any reason to seek out someone to buy / bail them out of a jam. I also think that unless Six Flags just acts as a non-intrusive parent, the logistics of such a change to licensing agreements, season passes, staffing, creative talent, and about a million other things would be completely nuts.

Add me to the "I don't think that this is a good idea if by some tiny chance it turns out to be true" camp.

Agreed. I feel like this rumor is unlikely because of SeaWorld's positive quarterly results, but the mere thought of Busch Gardens and SeaWorld being flagged sends shivers down my spine.

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I've never wanted a rumor to be false to this extent before. Having had years and years of absolutely amazing trips to SWO and only having fairly lack luster trips to SF parks (Although I am used to CF if that helps), I would hate to see this happen. If it does I wouldn't want to be an alarmist as I would hope they would keep enough SW and BG staff around to keep the park's experience the same, I feel SF would make more poor decisions in the long run about the animals, and could harm the animals getting even better habitats than what Blackfish has already ruined (What ever happened to the larger tanks and realistic habitats anyway? Can't even remember the name of it).

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I totally agree.

Edited by jray21

I am very opposed to the Six Flags SEAS buyout rumor. I have always been a fan of all of the SEAS parks, and if there is a park other than Dollywood or SDC I would rather spend my day at in the US, it's a SEAS park. I am impressed with the hard work they have done over the past several years in their post Blackfish climate. Finally seeing them begin to turn things around is very rewarding to me. When you visit a SEAS park, you are given an impression that this corporation is actually out to benefit the greater good of our society, not just to make money. Yes, there is criticism of animals being contained and not being able to live in their natural habitats etc. But the education the parks promote to the general public I feel benefits all the animals that do live in the wild. Educating the public about all of their species is of great benefit to the species well being in the wild. I love how they are re-imagining these animal habitats. Not to mention all of the animal rescue efforts they have beefed up in recent years. The SEAS parks have immersive world class attractions. They are unique to the collection of US parks - more European park like in their imaginative attractions.

When I enter a Six Flags anywhere in the country I see so much similarity. Not to mention that in the Six Flags parks, it is obvious the chain is concerned more about money making than guest experience. I was so disappointed in Discovery Kingdom, seeing that park last October was a complete letdown. Talking about dilapidated animal habitats, and seeming like they are not concerned for animal welfare. I really hope that Six Flags would concentrate and what they have, much like the SEAS parks have, rather than gobbling up these unique parks.

Yeah, it was fun to watch for a few minutes. The platform slowly creeps up the lift into position and they release people without flipping the car back down. Once everyone on the car is out and down the stairs, they move on to the next one.

This happened at around...2 PM-ish today? My friend and I were actually in the queue. The ride went down for a "brief delay" for about 15 minutes and then "temporarily closed". They buzzed the lift starter as we were exiting and...nothing, then they started evacuating around 3:30-4 PM. Even as we left at around 5:30 the train sat there, empty, near the top of the lift hill, as they tried to start it up again.

Those who are going to the park on Sunday, prepare yourselves, because Manta might not be open.

I was evacuated from Air, and they release the foot restraints so that your feet touch the step beneath, then they release the overhead restraint and you kinda walk out from underneath with the car still in the flying position. Before they open the restraint they ask you to push your back into the seat so when they unlock the restraints it isn't as if you 'drop' out of the restraint because your feet take the pressure. It was quite simple although I think a few people were a bit worried when they said they were going to evac.