TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

Well, the parks is already open about 10 months out of the year so they are pretty much at year round operations. I wonder how that would effect new rides debuting?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rides have been testing and lots of credible people are openly sharing it. I believe it. It's ballsy for Cedar Fair considering the fact that North Carolina is having a rise in cases (not because goin

The event has been live for like not even 5 hours.  Eeesh give people some time.

Posted Images

The South Carolina side of the park is gonna open today at 3pm, North Carolina side will remain closed until late August. Intimadator, Afterburn, and Copperhead Strike are all a go but for Fury you have to board the train while it's moving after the first turn then get off before it crosses back over the entry plaza.....

I’m not afraid of a challenge.

The South Carolina side of the park is gonna open today at 3pm, North Carolina side will remain closed until late August. Intimadator, Afterburn, and Copperhead Strike are all a go but for Fury you have to board the train while it's moving after the first turn then get off before it crosses back over the entry plaza.....

Awesome.

I have seen some articles saying July 27th, but I have seen other articles like this one (updated today), that say June 29th. So not sure what to believe at this point. Kind of challenging when both NC and SC have to give the green light.

I'm pretty sure they only need NC clearance given the fact the park is technically located in Charlotte.

I have seen some articles saying July 27th, but I have seen other articles like this one (updated today), that say June 29th. So not sure what to believe at this point. Kind of challenging when both NC and SC have to give the green light.

I'm pretty sure they only need NC clearance given the fact the park is technically located in Charlotte.

And your assumption is wrong. The rides that operate on the SC side are inspected by SC, and the food, beverage, restrooms, etc, on the SC side are inspected by the York County (SC) Health Department. Tne NC side is the same, whereas those rides are inspected by the NC, and other facilities inspected by the Mecklenburg County Health Department. There are many ordinances (including those concerning liquor/beer) that vary depending on which side of the state line you're on at the time. So, no, they need both sides to approve their opening to open at all.

With that said, SC has given the go ahead for parks to open, so they are just now waiting on NC to approve a date for them, which would then start the certification process to get them open for the season.

• 1 month later...

No surprise here, but Carowinds just announced they will not open in 2020.

https://www.carowinds.com/park-update

August 4, 2020 Update

Today, Carowinds announced that it would remain closed for the rest of 2020 due to the ongoing challenges related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The safety of our guests and associates is always our top priority. Although we have done our due diligence in developing a comprehensive safety plan in accordance with industry and public health standards, the continued uncertainty in our region surrounding COVID-19 as well as the diminishing number of calendar days left in the 2020 operating season, has brought us to the difficult decision to keep the park closed for the rest of the year.

As you know, we previously extended 2020 Season Passes and add-on products to be valid through 2021. To further show our commitment and appreciation, all 2020 Season Passholders will now also receive a Pass Perks™ Loyalty Reward valid for purchases within the park next season. Day tickets sold for the 2020 season will be valid through September 6, 2021. Finally, any Pre-K Passes that were registered for the 2020 season will also be valid through 2021. Affected guests will receive an email with relevant details. Season Passes for 2021 will go on sale beginning September 8, 2020.

As we look forward to brighter days ahead, Carowinds will continue to work with public health authorities to ensure that our guests and associates can return to fun in a safe environment next season. We are planning a great 2021 with rides, attractions, and entertainment for the whole family, including:

Boogie Board Racer, the longest mat racing slide in the Southeast, opening next summer at Carolina Harbor waterpark;

And, the debut of Grand Carnivale, a nighttime international festival and street party celebrating global culture in grand scale.

We thank our guests and associates for their continued loyalty and support during this challenging time, and we look forward to seeing you at the park in 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Intimidator is getting a fresh coat of paint.

72E96835-E839-4062-B11C-5CD2AAADFC1F.thumb.jpeg.a7c8c30e948f642af5dc02410c688f81.jpeg

Photo from Carowinds Fans Only on Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

^That's what I was thinking as well. It's funny that Intimidator is getting repainted first, and it's the newest out of the trio.

Behemoth looks alright, but Diamondback... yeah, that one needs it.

I might be wrong about this but I was under the impression that Cedar Fair corporate leaves ride repainting decisions to the park level and are paid for by the parks budget. If that is accurate Carowinds likely placed a higher priority on the rides paint job then the other parks. Kings Island has been spending discretionary money on Restroom renovations for instance.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but don't red, orange, and yellow seem significantly shorter than blue, teal, and green? Seems like the warm color slides will always have an "advantage" over the cool colors when it comes to finishing first. (You know, if anyone actually cares about that.)

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but don't red, orange, and yellow seem significantly shorter than blue, teal, and green? Seems like the warm color slides will always have an "advantage" over the cool colors when it comes to finishing first. (You know, if anyone actually cares about that.)

Not necessarily. They may have accounted for the difference by making that side's helix slightly larger.

Similar to how they account for each individual slide by ensuring that the slide that starts the helix on the outside ends on the inside, and vice versa. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining that.

Edit: Whitecap Racer at Hershey Park seems to have a similar layout. Curious if anyone who has ridden it can verify if one side has an advantage.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.0d873173779cc279217f6fe613a0aed6.jpg

2021 announcement just made on Facebook...Carolina Cyclone is getting Vortex's trains.

Whoo...never mind.

At first I was thinking of the stand up Vortex trains and I really had to think for a second

2021 announcement just made on Facebook...Carolina Cyclone is getting Vortex's trains.

Whoo...never mind.

At first I was thinking of the stand up Vortex trains and I really had to think for a second

Didn't even think of Cyclone's shitty neighbor when I posted, lol. I'd be okay with a floorless conversion for Vortex. I'd be much more okay with tearing Vortex down and putting in an RMC Raptor clone. A man can dream, right?

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been posted already somewhere else, but I didn't see it in this thread going back to January. In July I was at Kings Island and noticed some interesting stuff on this sign in the Mystic Timbers station.

20200711_121206.thumb.jpg.03c2bdc5cb5cb02eeb02b30073673011.jpg

Specifically the paragraph which reads in the middle "New for this year, we are excited to extend our helping hand to our friends in the Carolinas!" Could just be Cedar Fair having a little fun, but if I remember correctly these signs have had clues in the past, specifically thinking about references to "Steel" and "Vengeance" leading up to the announcement in 2017. I know plans could have changed especially since Carowinds didn't open this year, but maybe this is hinting at a Hurler renovation, originally planned for 2021 but pushed back a year or two?

Side note: Just wanted to point out that it's really nice how much easier it is to post a photo now!

Those signs have been the same since Mystic opened, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing to read into them.