TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

I'm glad I finally have an amusement park closer to me than my previous home park, Six Flags Great Adventure. Still waiting on Sandy's to open. Wasn't the Half Pipe Havoc running at some point? Or was that just testing?

To my knowledge, it has just tested to this point. But I think it has been seen testing since opening day.

I also noticed that ticket prices are $59.99 each day through the rest of the year instead of $79.99. I will be waiting until everything is operational and somewhat reliable before going, but I am excited to check it out when the time comes. The ropes course looks really fun as well and to have that included in admission is a plus. I am interested to see what the season pass prices are, they said they will have them and info will be available soon.

Hopefully, they do have everything ready to go by this coming Friday to make that $80 feel a bit better (but still stinging).

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they get everything up and running in time for next weekend... see my response to Canobie below.

Sorry for this very very late reply. Been busy with RL stuff, but I've been lurking when I can.

Appreciate you expanding on the rest of that post.

I think I'm caught up to speed as to what's currently happening via this thread. Triple Five kept the preview prices after activating the pricier price this past weekend. Trip reports came out as expected. Nickelodeon Universe was very quiet and not that busy compared to the previous weekend. The higher price really scared people away. On Sunday, a Redditor did a research for me (as I didn't come here to this forum for awhile) about the price going back to the $60 thing. I was merely going inside my head.

Hopefully, they do get everything worked out.

Isn’t the point that it isn’t “just a friggin mall”? The area does not have an indoor amusement park, indoor ski slope, or indoor waterpark. The LEGOLAND discovery center, Kidzania, and sea life aquarium will also draw people like me, who have to keep two kids entertained through the dead of winter. People are very willing to drive “all the way to the meadowlands” for a day out with the family at these types of things.

The negative attitude of New Jersey folks towards this boggles my mind. As a NYC resident this is about the only thing that would draw me across the river.

Exactly.

It's not the Garden State Plaza. AD is primarily entertainment and shopping is secondary. I even questioned a friend about the American Dream, and she'd pick GSP any day for shopping. Which is fine. (It's in my backyard, but I don't really hold it on any high pedestal. I'd rather have Tokyo's Odaiba replace GSP if I could.)

So, yes. A lot of people, in my state, have this misconception that AD is "another mall". But thankfully, there are people, who do see it more than that. I think even GSP has started to understand that entertainment is an important future component to shopping so they're adding a small entertainment venue to their mall.

I'm just darn happy to have a new entertainment place in the area. NYCers, like you, also have an all year round option to go to. I've been itching for the indoor water park for a long time. After watching several Nickelodeon Universe vids for some time now, it's nice to see families having some fun in a place that's intended for fun.

The negative attitude of New Jersey folks towards this boggles my mind. As a NYC resident this is about the only thing that would draw me across the river.

Just from my personal experience of talking to locals about this place is that a lot of the negativity stems from people who are upset with the huge tax breaks this place received and that they think it will be a waste of tax payer money in the long run.

I'll go check out the theme and water parks eventually but I don't know a single person who is interested in going to this place that lives around here. I find it interesting how polarizing this place has been for years.

It's not the Garden State Plaza. AD is primarily entertainment and shopping is secondary. I even questioned a friend about the American Dream, and she'd pick GSP any day for shopping. Which is fine. (It's in my backyard, but I don't really hold it on any high pedestal. I'd rather have Tokyo's Odaiba replace GSP if I could.)

So, yes. A lot of people, in my state, have this misconception that AD is "another mall". But thankfully, there are people, who do see it more than that. I think even GSP has started to understand that entertainment is an important future component to shopping so they're adding a small entertainment venue to their mall.

I'm just darn happy to have a new entertainment place in the area. NYCers, like you, also have an all year round option to go to. I've been itching for the indoor water park for a long time. After watching several Nickelodeon Universe vids for some time now, it's nice to see families having some fun in a place that's intended for fun.

The biggest mistake Triple Five ever made was allowing the media to continue with the narrative that this is a mall. It's not a mall. It's an entertainment complex with a high-end retail component. They had a real chance to rebrand this thing when they took the project over, move the story away from it being "another mall", get rid of that hideous paint job on the ski hill, yadda yadda yadda big media event ... but they blew it. I'm really hoping - mainly because I'm a NJ taxpayer and have subsidized this project for the past 16 years - that once more and more attractions open, once the water park and ski park and aquarium are going we can put the "just another mall" narrative to bed. It will also feel a lot less like throwing good money after bad. And I'm not going to say no to riding coasters indoors in February.

The biggest mistake Triple Five ever made was allowing the media to continue with the narrative that this is a mall. It's not a mall. It's an entertainment complex with a high-end retail component. They had a real chance to rebrand this thing when they took the project over, move the story away from it being "another mall", get rid of that hideous paint job on the ski hill, yadda yadda yadda big media event ... but they blew it. I'm really hoping - mainly because I'm a NJ taxpayer and have subsidized this project for the past 16 years - that once more and more attractions open, once the water park and ski park and aquarium are going we can put the "just another mall" narrative to bed. It will also feel a lot less like throwing good money after bad. And I'm not going to say no to riding coasters indoors in February

I mean everything Triple Five has done so far has emphasized the entertainment aspect, there really hasn't been much official exposure besides news coverage so far, I think Triple Five has made a point of rebranding the project, I mean look at the website right at the top it says it's an all inclusive hub

To me the biggest mistake seems to be that they built this in the Meadowlands as all of the Jersey locals seem to be hoping for its demise, ungrateful for the potential this unique attraction brings. people need to appreciate what this project will bring, come Spring I'm sure plenty of tourists will be taking the 12 minute bus ride from the Port Authority, be appreciative for Bergen county finally having a major tourist draw not venue or sports related. If this was in Westchester I would be forever grateful for such an investment in my county

These guys really suck at their job.

The DreamWorks Water Park at American Dream won’t be ready for its scheduled opening day -- next Wednesday, a spokesperson for American Dream told NJ Advance Media Thursday.

“Creating the ultimate entertainment experience takes time and patience. Unfortunately that means we’ll have to wait a little longer for the opening of DreamWorks Water Park, as we are postponing the previously announced opening date of November 27,” a spokesperson for American Dream said.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/11/dreamworks-waterpark-at-american-dream-mall-delays-opening.html

I mean everything Triple Five has done so far has emphasized the entertainment aspect, there really hasn't been much official exposure besides news coverage so far, I think Triple Five has made a point of rebranding the project, I mean look at the website right at the top it says it's an all inclusive hub.

Maybe they should have started doing it six years ago when they took the project over in the first place. They've had plenty of time to get it right. They can't even seem to drum up enough enthusiasm to do the bare minimum. That's the frustration, they've had six years from the time they were awarded the project out of the Lehman bankruptcy to do something - anything - to convince people this isn't going to be a total belly flop. There are plenty of people willing to give this place a chance, but why bother getting attached when it's going to be the world's biggest Halloween store next October? And marketing is the least of their issues, but it's the easiest to fix.

To me the biggest mistake seems to be that they built this in the Meadowlands as all of the Jersey locals seem to be hoping for its demise, ungrateful for the potential this unique attraction brings. people need to appreciate what this project will bring, come Spring I'm sure plenty of tourists will be taking the 12 minute bus ride from the Port Authority, be appreciative for Bergen county finally having a major tourist draw not venue or sports related. If this was in Westchester I would be forever grateful for such an investment in my county

No, the biggest mistake was building it in a part of the state that does not have the infrastructure to support it. The issue isn't a lack of gratitude, the issue is that everyone who has ever driven to the Meadowlands knows that Routes 3 and 120 are nightmares when there's an event at MetLife Stadium - hell, 120 can be a nightmare if there's a backup on the Paterson Plank Road. Absolute gridlock. LA style. Which is why the locals wanted Routes 3 and 120 widened significantly before this development could go forward. But the state insisted it wasn't necessary and sixteen years later Routes 3 and 120 are still barely sufficient for stadium traffic and most like won't be sufficient to service American Dream when they open it completely. And that's not even touching on the significant issues with the public transportation options. They were within a week of opening and still didn't have a transit plan in place. They can't use the spur train line out there because NJTransit is not only such a mess that they can't provide service but because they never actually finished building out the line and have no way to turn the trains around. (And yes, you can run the trains backwards, but it's a lot less efficient.) And quite frankly, we've already sunk over a $1B and gotten nothing for our money - no roads widened, no increase in tax revenue, no upgrades to our transit system - so you'll pardon us if we aren't exactly a font of enthusiasm for this project. And I can't imagine you would be either if it was sitting in your backyard, eating up your tax money and being a political football and an unfulfilled promise.

Thank you. Finally someone else who sees what a boondoggle destined for failure that this project is.

The worst part is, I don't want it to fail. I want it to thrive. But the logic centers of my brain are telling me that it's going to be a really, really tough row to hoe for that to happen. And that's even before you find out that they had to go out for another round of financing earlier this year with Triple Five's stakes in Mall of America and West Edmonton on the line. And that they poached business development "talent" from the bane of my existence and state-wide embarrassment NJTransit. This thing is an absolute boondoggle, from start to now, and a case study in the sunk-costs fallacy. But I still want it to thrive because ... well ... coasters.

No, the biggest mistake was building it in a part of the state that does not have the infrastructure to support it. The issue isn't a lack of gratitude, the issue is that everyone who has ever driven to the Meadowlands knows that Routes 3 and 120 are nightmares when there's an event at MetLife Stadium - hell, 120 can be a nightmare if there's a backup on the Paterson Plank Road. Absolute gridlock. LA style. Which is why the locals wanted Routes 3 and 120 widened significantly before this development could go forward. But the state insisted it wasn't necessary and sixteen years later Routes 3 and 120 are still barely sufficient for stadium traffic and most like won't be sufficient to service American Dream when they open it completely.

I have not been to an event at the Meadowlands (Giants Stadium/Racetrack) in almost 10 years. I did not realize Routes 3 and 120 have not widened since.

Oh it's an absolute joke imo. That they tried this thing 1: at a time when malls are dying 2 after SO many years (I was in HS so we're talking pre 2006 and this project was being worked on.... not to mention its ugly not finished eyesore sitting there at all our tailgates) they still pressed on 3 the area is indeed a bad area logistically, the thought of driving here makes me ill 4 I heard there were issues like it opened but not all the permits were secured...

Honestly all this is the only reason I "want" to go, I fully expect this will fail and went to get on the steepest coaster on Earth while I can, esp since I've heard it (or Takabisha) is pretty good.

On that note...last I heard this ride wasn't even open after it opened... the site (which gives me no hope) says opening soon....is Shellraiser even open?

I agree I want this to succeed as well. Who wouldn't? Esp for us locals/those who visit yearly it'd be cool to pop over here. Just it does seem doomed to fail

Oh it's an absolute joke imo. That they tried this thing 1: at a time when malls are dying 2

soon....is Shellraiser even open?

I agree I want this to succeed as well. Who wouldn't? Esp for us locals/those who visit yearly it'd be cool to pop over here. Just it does seem doomed to fail

Yes it and Shredder are both open and, Shellraiser has been open since day one, I really wouldn't consider this a mall considering its like 60 percent entertainment..

Some guy on youtube who posted a bunch of videos from the opening day keeps answering people, that are asking about when the other two coasters are opening, 'NOVEMBER 27', I have no idea if he has involvement in the project or anything just thought it was worth noting

Oh it's an absolute joke imo. That they tried this thing 1: at a time when malls are dying 2 after SO many years (I was in HS so we're talking pre 2006 and this project was being worked on.... not to mention its ugly not finished eyesore sitting there at all our tailgates) they still pressed on 3 the area is indeed a bad area logistically, the thought of driving here makes me ill 4 I heard there were issues like it opened but not all the permits were secured...

Honestly all this is the only reason I "want" to go, I fully expect this will fail and went to get on the steepest coaster on Earth while I can, esp since I've heard it (or Takabisha) is pretty good.

On that note...last I heard this ride wasn't even open after it opened... the site (which gives me no hope) says opening soon....is Shellraiser even open?

So you drove there for for "all our tailgates" but can't stand to drive there for a quality indoor amusement park? Also, the traffic loading and unloading an 80K capacity stadium is much different than that generated by a mall/entertainment center. If you're really concerned, just avoid a game day. I fully expect that once this is fully open, the mall (and local tour agencies) are going to do a lot more to get the tourist market in.

I'm not sure why New Jersey residents would rather see this fail, have all of their tax money be a waste, and again have a giant abandoned building on the side of their highway than be glad to enjoy an entertainment center without peer in the area. Good thing the region has plenty of New Yorkers and 60-something million tourists a year!

I want to see this succeed big time but I'm also waiting awhile to go there since it's a giant sh*tshow right now.

As for what's currently open, I have no idea. According to the website everything is open except Timmy's Half Pipe Havoc and Sandy's Blasting Bronco which (I guess) includes Slime Streak again which was down for awhile but there's not much coverage on this place and their website is useless.