TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

the mall itself is way nicer than I was expecting.

are they actually going to have tenants? or are they still trying to rent out the spaces?

great TR, Michael. .thanks for sharing.

I've been thinking of just saying "screw it" and fork over the admission to finally check the place out, but not if Chris Hanson's gonna pop out and ask me to take a seat before I get a single ride in.

I feel the same way, I was interested in visiting the park but since I would likely be going alone, I don't feel like paying $50+ and constantly be stopped by security for no reason or asking to show ID just for being there. I won't go until I hear that this stops happening. It's one thing if someone is doing something suspicious but to stop someone just because they are alone at a park is ridiculous.

Edited by YoshiFan

Great review.

LOL at ID request. I'd tell them to f- off.

This wasn't a high school security guard like Six Flags. These were older officers from K9 units wearing bulletproof vests. They were not messing around so I wasn't going to put up a fight even if it was annoying.

the mall itself is way nicer than I was expecting.

are they actually going to have tenants? or are they still trying to rent out the spaces?

great TR, Michael. .thanks for sharing.

I've seen articles stating it's almost 90% leased at this point. I'm really intrigued how much of that is entertainment since this mall has the Blue Law keeping retail stores closed on Sundays.

^ ProTip: Just don't take these sorts of security theater seriously, it's completely ridiculous and you should laugh in their face like you know that it's completely ridiculous, because it is. That dog is just hanging out, it might be one of their pets, and those guys are playing on their phones all day between harassing paying customers.

This is like when the person at the Best Buy door asks you to see a receipt after they watched you walk from the cashier 10 steps to the door imo. I'm all for security but Americans need to start laughing at these security actors and their pets.

EDIT: To clarify: I'm happy about some security at the front entrance, but it's not like this is an open area - it has one entry and one exit. This is inexcusable and giving mall cops some fun.

Great review.

This wasn't a high school security guard like Six Flags. These were older officers from K9 units wearing bulletproof vests. They were not messing around so I wasn't going to put up a fight even if it was annoying.

It's NJ. If they don't have a firearm, they're just a security officer in private employ by the business and not law enforcement, and have zero actual authority whatsoever. No different than Six Flags. Puppy dog or ballistic armor or not. The most they can ask you to do is leave. However, you are right to be careful, since their perceived authority, especially in that part of the state, is probably extremely intense and stepping up to their BS would likey result in them taking illegal physical action against you. Which could be nice if you're the lawsuit type, since you'd definitely get a nice settlement.

If they did in fact have firearms and were actual police officers, I apologize on behalf of the profession.

That said, you absolutely should have reported this behavior to the management. If they don't know it's happening, nothing will ever change, and if they do know it's happening, you know not to give them any more of your business.

Source: A former SFGAdv Security Officer, me.

Great review. LOL at ID request. I'd tell them to f- off.

^ ProTip: Just don't take these sorts of security theater seriously, it's completely ridiculous and you should laugh in their face like you know that it's completely ridiculous, because it is. That dog is just hanging out, it might be one of their pets, and those guys are playing on their phones all day between harassing paying customers.

Their perceived authority, especially in that part of the state, is probably extremely intense and stepping up to their BS would likey result in them taking illegal physical action against you. Which could be nice if you're the lawsuit type, since you'd definitely get a nice settlement.

I agree that it's a bit over-kill and would be annoying but these reactions seem pretty venomous to people who are just doing a job they've been told to do, considering that most of that security are probably just following orders mandated from higher-ups. Unless American security is insanely different from Europe and Asian security where I've lived, I don't think they all got together and said 'Let's stop single males for the fun of it and ask them for I.D.' As I said earlier in this thread, there are other parks that have these mandates from higher-ups.

Again, I agree it's an annoying policy, but if security is as power-hungry as you say, isn't this going to end in an altercation? I mean it's a park themed to Nickelodeon if you swear or challenge and end up in a fight, all your going to do is scare some kids, ruin their memories and end up as bad as the security you're complaining about?

Pro-Tip: Calmly ask where the policy came from and why it's there, then ask if there are any contact details or customer service where you can mention that being constantly approached affected your day. Swearing, anger and arguing just reinforces that the bad policies should stay in place.

Great review.

So? They're still mall cops with zero authority.

They are free to review my paid admission ticket. They have no reason to view ID. You don't need one to access a mall.

Great review. LOL at ID request. I'd tell them to f- off.

I agree that it's a bit over-kill and would be annoying but these reactions seem pretty venomous to people who are just doing a job they've been told to do, considering that most of that security are probably just following orders mandated from higher-ups.

"papers please" and "just following orders"

Where have I heard that before?

I mean it's a park themed to Nickelodeon if you swear or challenge and end up in a fight, all your going to do is scare some kids, ruin their memories and end up as bad as the security you're complaining about?

No one said that.No need to fight or swear.

"Can I see your ID?"

"No."

This is the Jerseyist thread ever.

"No, it's really not a big deal they were very nice"

"NO NO NO You go up to him and say AAAAY YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WIT ME? YOU GOT ZERO AUTHORITY WHATCHU GONNA DO ABOUT IT. YOU WANNA SEE ID HEEZ AN ID F*CK YOU AND YA MOTHUH"

(Please don't show up pointing out how you didn't advocate being confrontational. I know. It's a joke. lol)

Edited by coasterbill

"NO NO NO You go up to him and say AAAAY YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WIT ME? YOU GOT ZERO AUTHORITY WHATCHU GONNA DO ABOUT IT. YOU WANNA SEE ID HEEZ AN ID F*CK YOU AND YA MOTHUH"[/size]

Being born and raised in Jersey and living in one of the largest Jersey-Italian areas, part of me wants to record myself saying this. The other part doesn't wanna get banned for the language I would subconciously add. You're missing at least three Fs, a CSin MFer, and a You MFer You.

Are we really debating the ethical nature of American law enforcement on a forum about saying "wahoo" on rollercoasters?

All I have to add is that of the many issues I have heard about Six Flags, I have never heard about staff harassing customers as a complaint.

I agree that it's a bit over-kill and would be annoying but these reactions seem pretty venomous to people who are just doing a job they've been told to do, considering that most of that security are probably just following orders mandated from higher-ups.

"papers please" and "just following orders"

Where have I heard that before?

Please learn how to quote properly. I never said that.

So to steer things away from the clusterf*ck that is this thread atm:

I'm going to be in NYC for a night toward the end of the month, and am thinking of taking the NJT 355 bus to check out the park on the $35 twilight ticket on Sunday the 26th. It'll be a bit pricey ($55 for the ticket, bus, and tax), but I haven't been able to get to a park since last August, and this is looking like my best opportunity in the next several months. I haven't used NJT before, nor have I been to the PABT. I'm aware the PABT has a reputation for being difficult to navigate, but I'm hoping that if I study the (rather clumsy) official map I can figure out how to get to gate 355 in 15min or so (hopefully less, but I'd rather not risk underestimating).

Ideally I'm hoping to catch the 5:10 bus, but if I miss it and wind up on the 5:30, it's not the end of the world.

Also, are there any relatively reasonably priced decent enough restaurants in the Times Square Subway/Port Authority Complex? I'm at an event further uptown until 4:30, so I won't have much time to grab dinner.

Does anybody have any tips that could be helpful if I were to make this journey? Any advice is appreciated!

Reasonably priced decent restaurants in Times Square?

giphy.gif

I guess Junior's. A lot of the chain restaurants have hilariously sky-high pricing that needs to be seen to be believed but the pricing there is semi-reasonable and it's actually good. Mostly everything in Times Square is a tourist trap though and for the most part it all sucks. No New Yorker would ever be caught dead eating there or even walking through there unless they absolutely had to.

Honestly I'd just walk a block or two from Times Square in any direction and get some hot dogs from a street vendor or something from a Halal cart before I eat anything in Times Square besides Junior's. It'll be better food. Pastrami on Rye if you go to Junior's and get a Cheesecake.

Edited by coasterbill

So to steer things away from the clusterf*ck that is this thread atm:

I'm going to be in NYC for a night toward the end of the month, and am thinking of taking the NJT 355 bus to check out the park on the $35 twilight ticket on Sunday the 26th. It'll be a bit pricey ($55 for the ticket, bus, and tax), but I haven't been able to get to a park since last August, and this is looking like my best opportunity in the next several months. I haven't used NJT before, nor have I been to the PABT. I'm aware the PABT has a reputation for being difficult to navigate, but I'm hoping that if I study the (rather clumsy) official map I can figure out how to get to gate 355 in 15min or so (hopefully less, but I'd rather not risk underestimating).

Ideally I'm hoping to catch the 5:10 bus, but if I miss it and wind up on the 5:30, it's not the end of the world.

Also, are there any relatively reasonably priced decent enough restaurants in the Times Square Subway/Port Authority Complex? I'm at an event further uptown until 4:30, so I won't have much time to grab dinner.

Does anybody have any tips that could be helpful if I were to make this journey? Any advice is appreciated!

PABT is difficult to navigate if you know your bus, but not your gate. The gates are well signed. There are also touch screens to show you the best walking path.

Also, there is a north building and a south building. They are connected on the 2nd floor, but ar ground level you need to go outside to get between them.

I recommend grabbing a quick bite at:

Los Tacos No.1, West 43rd Street, New York, NY

Within the building itself, you're limited to an Au Bon Pain, Starbucks, and Jamba Juice for fast options