TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

Just noticed they are doing a weekday rides schedule Monday-Thursday, this likely started today. Basically most of the big rides and the ropes course are open all the time, but all the other rides rotate being open/closed every 30 minutes. Don’t like the sound of this or the direction this place is going.

This is like step 7 of 10 on the checklist to become Fuji-Q.

Just noticed they are doing a weekday rides schedule Monday-Thursday, this likely started today. Basically most of the big rides and the ropes course are open all the time, but all the other rides rotate being open/closed every 30 minutes. Don’t like the sound of this or the direction this place is going.

This is like step 7 of 10 on the checklist to become Fuji-Q.

Most rides/coasters have an alternative entrance/fast lane/single rider looking stair or ramp so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the next step with offering per-ride skip the line passes.

I hope they do it sooner than later because these empty, unattended entrances just create line jumping issues all day every day.

shellraiser_queue_0.jpg.907736824f796898e9ed450c98d0e74a.jpg

Look at all of these ways to line jump! If you're lucky, you'll see kids jumping the gap like they're cutting across traffic lanes with no blinker on Lake Shore Drive.

More than half of the rides at the DreamWorks Water Park at the American Dream mall have been inspected and approved by the state to open, which signals that the long-anticipated venue is nearing completion.

So far, 16 of the 27 rides have been inspected and approved to open and three others have completed engineering review and are ready for inspection, a spokesperson for the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs said.

A week before the water park’s opening date, it was postponed for an unspecified period of time. An American Dream spokesperson said then, “creating the ultimate entertainment experience takes time and patience.”

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/02/a-bunch-of-rides-at-the-water-park-coming-to-american-dream-just-passed-inspection.html

Sounds like no one told them they needed inspections until they tried to open

I swear you can't make this stuff up.

Edit: These tickets are also subject to a "if we increase the price later you pay more" nonsense that NU is doing.

Welp, never going to the waterpark here.

Are they stupid? Or do they just think they can due to the proximity to NYC and the ridiculousness of cost of living there?

Do they expect people to chose this over SFGAdv's waterpark at these prices?

Are they stupid? Or do they just think they can due to the proximity to NYC and the ridiculousness of cost of living there?

The pricing is ridiculous, but my assumption is that they are pricing high right now when they are the only game in town. Come summer when all the normal summer outdoor recreation activities are available and other water parks are open, if they still expect people to pay $105....

Oh my god.

The pictures of the water park make it look pretty, but $105 per day is crazy. I doubt they are going to lower it for the summer either. Yeah, at this point I am hoping for both parks to get heavily discounted for semi-permanent "promotions."

Sounds like they're copying Kalahari, except they're forgetting one key element. Kalahari prices are high to keep away non-resort-guests. The waterpark is (I believe) included with a night's stay, or at least comes at a steeeeeeeeeep discount. This keeps the guest experience at a high, keeps demand relatively constant, and enhances their business model.

American Dream is just pricing out their only clientele. Dumbasses.

Sounds like they're copying Kalahari, except they're forgetting one key element. Kalahari prices are high to keep away non-resort-guests. The waterpark is (I believe) included with a night's stay, or at least comes at a steeeeeeeeeep discount. This keeps the guest experience at a high, keeps demand relatively constant, and enhances their business model.

American Dream is just pricing out their only clientele. Dumbasses.

The three largest overnight waterparks in the area do offer free admission to guests, but the standard room rate for two adults and two kids is in the $500 range. Prices are just insane in the New York area to begin with.

This article, sums up the current competition among waterparks in the area. I didn't realize there were that many indoor parks. They are pricing themselves at the high end, but not completely out of line with the major players. I would have to think families are either going to go wherever is closest if they are not making an overnight trip, unless someplace has a standout attraction. As someone not following the waterpark I have no idea if American Dream has any ride of that type.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/02/itll-cost-you-99-to-go-to-american-dreams-water-park-heres-how-others-compare.html

The pricing is ridiculous, but my assumption is that they are pricing high right now when they are the only game in town. Come summer when all the normal summer outdoor recreation activities are available and other water parks are open, if they still expect people to pay $105....

Edited by larrygator

I read that article too. The trick is what KBrylczyk said: those that are similarly priced have hotels, and are doing so to keep the amount of non-hotel guests to a minimum, since their bread and butter are the overnight stays. Those that do not have hotels are almost universally substantially cheaper that the one at the AD, which, also does not have a hotel.