TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

STORM RUNNER.

It was pathetic. I heard someone refer to it as GOD in a trip report before I left. It was horrible. Other coasters were let downs, but this takes the cake.

I thought MF was pretty sweet. The lift/first drop combo is easily number 1 in my books. Much better than any launch you can conjure up as well.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mantis

I know on here and other forums, everyone hates it, but, if you listen to the GP, they absolutely LOVE it. People are alwys talking about it and how great it is/was and how much they want to ride it. The line always has (on a crowded day) a decent amount of people in it. Meanwhile, it is one of the worst B&Ms ever made, in my opinion.

SheiKra. I was so ready for this ride! I had been pumped to ride it since the track arrived on site but when it was over I thought it was "meh". The first drop was awesome but after that the ride got boring and the brakes killed the second drop IMO and while the water is cool looking the turn into the final brake run was taken way to slow. That's just my opinion.

An even bigger one IMO is Goliat at SFOG. People were praising this ride as Nitro of the south amazing airtime but I ran my but up the hill to the front row, and later the back to find very little aritime, very little positive Gs and a whole lot of brakes. The first drop seemed very very small and the second drop had those evil trims which slowed the ride down tremendously for the rest of the ride. I was so diddapointed and actually angry at how these two hailed B&Ms were so overrated.

The first drop seemed very very small and the second drop had those evil trims which slowed the ride down tremendously for the rest of the ride.

2nd drop of goliath has trims?

no

For one, Alpengeist.

I've been on two BTR's -SFMM and SWSA, SB -KBF, Top Gun -PGA and Alpengeist.

It was fun, but the cobra and either leaving or entering (forget which) the MCBR was just painful...

I expected more from AC, but it was just OK.

And heres another, S:ros at SFA.

I was expecting a crazy ride, I got a mediocre one.

The hills and speed are great, but the straight ways!

The layout: depart station, turn, lift, drop, turn, hill, long slope up, twenty minute helix, long straightway, hill, straightway again, ANOTHER helix, small dip, cork hill, two ejector bunny hills, brakes.

After the first helix they could've EASILY replaced the two straightways right there with a second hill. If they had done that, it would be a good ride. But like it is, its boring...

SheiKra. I was so ready for this ride! I had been pumped to ride it since the track arrived on site but when it was over I thought it was "meh". The first drop was awesome but after that the ride got boring and the brakes killed the second drop IMO and while the water is cool looking the turn into the final brake run was taken way to slow. That's just my opinion.

An even bigger one IMO is Goliat at SFOG. People were praising this ride as Nitro of the south amazing airtime but I ran my but up the hill to the front row, and later the back to find very little aritime, very little positive Gs and a whole lot of brakes. The first drop seemed very very small and the second drop had those evil trims which slowed the ride down tremendously for the rest of the ride. I was so diddapointed and actually angry at how these two hailed B&Ms were so overrated.

Whoa, thats pretty weird that you did not experience any airtime on Goliath. Whenever I get on Goliath, there is always ejector airtime on the last three bunny hills.

To me Superman the Escape is the most overrated coaster ever. People made it seem that you will experience the same airtime astronauts feel when they are in space and that you feel like you are going 100 mph. Well..the airtime was not that great and it did not feel like the coaster was going 100 mph when I went. Maybe its the fact that it does not start off with a big blast of speed but rather build its way up.

Also, I know this isn't a coaster, but I thought that Mission: Space was pretty overrated. The G-forces on the ride were not as bad as I thought they would be. When your standing in line, the ride ops make it seem that anything can make you feel disoriented on the ride. I have tried everything that they say will make you disoriented, and I have not been disoriented at all.

Remember Zonga at SFDK?

I remember the hype about it being a "lush jungle themed" looper. Well did they get any of that? NO. It was placed on a giant concrete slab with a crappy station. And just to prove the hype, shortly after it opened, I heard radio advertisements calling it "one of the most extreme and thrilling coasters on the planet." Even a die-hard Schwarzkopf fan wouldn't say that about this. My friend and I rode it in opening week and we had many complaints about it. One, the OTSRs that had been added since it's removal as Texas Tornado at Astroworld, were uncomfortably cramped. The then 5'6" 100 pound me even had a hard time squeezing in. I would have traded those trains for SFMM's Revo's any day. Second The ride was extremely rough and it was headbanging from start to finish. I remember having to brace myself every time I rode it. Third, it was always breaking down. During it's last year of operation when I rode it, the train got stuck in the final brake run and a mechanic had to push it out with a wooden board. It also had a problem with getting stuck in the MCBRs. This is an example of what happens when a decent ride is modified to the extent of where it is no longer functional. Enough said.

Legend and Raven at Holiday World

There are others but I don't know that I'd consider them "overrated"... Volcano [liked it but had an awful ending], Storm Runner [liked it but it was way too short], Great Bear [interesting but didn't really do much]. But Raven was considered a top three coaster by so many, and I thought it was fun but wasn't top ten worthy. Legend is considered by some to be BETTER than Raven, and I thought that was a really boring, rough coaster with little positive upside.

The Beast at Kings Island is perhaps one of the most boring coasters I have been on, aside from the helix, which was amazing. I found The Fairly Odd Coaster to have more airtime than The Beast. I know the Beast isn't all about airtime, but it just seemed like sitting on a park bench going through the woods. Having said that if they took off the brakes on the ride it would probably be pretty amazing.

I can't really say I've ever been REALLY dissapointed by a coaster because of the hype it's gotten.

The most I'd day I've ever experienced it was on the Mummy at USF. I mean, I wasn't expecting much from it when I first saw it being constructed and stuff like that, but then reviews and forums seemed to all be saying it was amazing. And I noticed in Florida that Universal had advertised it as a 'phycological thrill ride', but to be honest it was a mediocre coaster with one or two cool effects, it was really fun, but not the really scary awesome thing I was expecting..

Space Mountain with the Red Hot Chili Pepers. It was really lame and weird.

How could I of forgotten when Disney raped my favorite childhood coaster!

I've always loved Sapce Mt. and have held it very close to my heart, but when the Rockin' phase came over, it was horrible, heres the review I posted about it on RCPro.

http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122842&postcount=90

So today was fun, but this isn't going to be a trip report, just a review on Rockin' Both Parks. Right away I have to say Rockin' Cal Screamin is the better of the two. Rode it twice, the second was the last train with passengers of the day. I definitely prefer the new RHCP track to the old one.

I loved RCS.

Before I state my thoughts on RSM, I'll give you some history of me and her. Every year, since I was young, our family would go to DLR for Christmas. Space Mountain was my favourite ride, and this was when I was still afraid of coasters. I loved the original, and right before it went down for its giant rehab, my mom and older sister actually got to ride it with the lights on, (my sister worked at DLR back then) They said it took away from the experience though....

Now when it reopened, I rode it ASAP, I loved to have my Space Mt. back. Shortly after, at SFMM, I finally broke my fear of coasters and heights. I started riding more coasters, I became obsessed with them, I also started joining many coaster sites after Billy first showed me RCPro. By then I had a pass to DLR and started noticing, I still loved Space Mt, but there were better coasters out there, Space Mt went down on my top list.

So as you can see, I hold Space Mt very near and dear to my heart, and when we got to DLR today, I was a little uneasy...

When we got into the park about 1, we went straight to Tomorrowland for obvious reasons. The park was empty, and so was every queue, including RSM's. We walk through the queue, passed unused switchbacks, got inside, nothing was changed, the queue was exactly the same. When we got into the station I did look at the TV and saw some astronauts on instruments like Brandon said, they were pretty pointless if you ask me...

We got up to the loading platform, and surprisingly, it was unassigned seats, a first for me on any Disney ride I think. I got second row, My brother and sister rode front. We started off, I was hoping it would be good, but I just knew it was gonna be worse then I thought. We start up the lift, I heard Uncle Joe saying some random crap, the two guys behind me were yelling "BORING!!!" "GET TO THE GOOD PART!!!", I started laughing a bit. After we hit the second lift and enter the show building, It felt horrible. I could easily see the structure, track, even some of the trains going through the circuit. During the whole ride I could easily see the track in front of me, and like Jahan said on TPR, it even felt slower. I was just confused and sad. The brake run came and I put a two thumbs down. I wouldn't want to ride it again, I felt like my childhood memories were raped from me. I got out of the train ASAP, bust out my *new* iPod, and started playing the 05 soundtrack. I hope Disney sees this, because they made a bad choice with Space Mountain.

So in my honest opinion, I hated RSM, but absolutely loved RCS.

Sorry if this was a bit long...

-JD

Millennium Force - too popular, other CP coasters have better air

Flight of Fear - slow loading times, and I'm not that much into the dark thing.

Thunder Run - other than good airtime, it's rough and takes forever to load.

Grizzly (KD) - not bad, but it wasn't as fun as they hyped it to be

Raven - somewhat. Nice airtime, but sometimes you have to be in the right seat, and it is a bit short...

The Beast - not really overrated as it once was. I must add though that it was never really built for airtime.

^ Keep in mind that the point of MF isn't airtime, it's the 310 ft drop at 80 degrees, if they wanted to give MF extreme airtime, they would have, but that's not what the designers were aiming for.

In my opinion, Ninja at SFMM is overrated. I think Iron Dragon and Big Bad Wolf are a lot better than Ninja. It was just a boring ride through some trees.

The mirror S:ROS's at Darien Lake and SFA.

Too much straight track, and very long, forceless helices. I don't really like one more than the other, other than Darien's being more fun in the daytime (The setting) and SFA's being more fun at night (no lights, allowing for a pitch black experience.)

I prefer Magnum to either of these rides, simply because Magnum doesn't let up in the action until the brakes, where as these two have so many dead spots.

They're both great rides, but not the best IMO.

There hasn't been a coaster I have disliked yet. Also most likely for me I wont think any coaster is overrated because I don't set high expectations on any coasters even if I read that it's the BOMB or it is GOD among coasters! .

I just ride them for what they are! Because of that view there hasn't been a coaster that has been overated for me yet. Also I am the kind of guy who liked Flashback at SFMM and likes Flying Coaster at Elitch Gardens! So that tells you a lot about me right there!