TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Have also heard very good things about the ARM/Larson towers. I know the fabri ones (Detinator at Thorpe for ex.), work basically like the S&S turbo drops done right, & launch the car down, giving the ride it's intensity, but haven't heard anything like this for the ARM towers.. Anyone have an idea how they work?

Also, how would you describe the airtime on the ARM towers? Is it similar to the strong floater air on the Intamin 2nd gen/gyro towers, or more like the ejector air you get on a double shot?... My local fair has one, and I'm so pumped to ride it later this week, but have no idea what I'm in for, as I've only rode S&S & Intamin towers.

ARM towers are as simple as they come. Hoist to the top, the hook the seats hang from pushes against the top of the tower, releasing the car. Free fall ~90', hitting magnetic brakes about 30' up. Coast slowly to the platform. The last foot controlled by hydraulics to avoid a sudden stop. Purely gravity powered. But practically no friction coming down. What feels like forever but is actually about 2 seconds of free fall.

Oh, and the fair trailer mounted ones aren't nearly as awesome as the park models. Sorry.

I've only been able to try SCBB's Double Shot and DCA's ToT and Maliboomer. At this point, ToT probably takes the cake there, even though the other two were also great. I will hopefully add CGA's Drop Tower, KBF's Supreme Scream, and LLDoD to my list in the next few months.

EDIT: But Blue Fall and any Intamin 1st Gen are on my bucket list, even with the KER-CHUNK (that's what makes it special!)

Edited by The49er

• 1 month later...

^Whileci have rode a larson tower, I have to say the most intense, and my favourite drop tower would have to be Drop Tower at Canada's Wonderland, a 230' Intamin 2nd gen tower.

A close second would be the SS&S double shot tower in the West Edmonton Mall. It has a nice forceful launch, and two great moments of ejector air.

^All hail the almighty second gen! I don't know why, but the arm tower I rode (10 story portable version), was just "meh". Yes, the airtime was great for a tower of its size, but compared with other towers, I wasn't super impressed.

I actually found that the airtime and experience of the 2nd gen to be closer to how how people describe the ARM ones.

Are the slightly larger park models any better?

I've also heard great things about the moser towers. Anyone here done one of those?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been on that new traveling Funtime tower Skyfall? It looks, at first glance, to be a super sized version of the Larson / ARM towers, and everyone agrees on how good they are.

EDIT: This one...

I have a new favorite drop ride as of Saturday, when I took my first fall on SFGADV's new Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom.

It's the tallest and fastest in the world, and the view of the park from the top is staggering. I'm looking forward to taking a night ride sometime in the future.

image.thumb.jpg.8bf5cbb5b71b119b8cd32fe17311a927.jpg

I hated drop rides until earlier this year but Ive done a few this season so I'll rank them from favorite to least.

Zumanjaro - I had done a few drops before this but I rode this (alone) when it first opened as sort of a bucket list challenge to myself. Nothing compares. Its not the most forceful drop, at least not when you first start falling, but the views are incredible, the height is mind blowing and the drop lasts for what feels like forever, increasing in speed as you fall.

Dominator (Dorney) - Just did this Saturday and while we did the launch side first, and it was fun, we were really blown away by how forceful the drop side was. I almost checked my shorts afterwards.

Atmosfear (Wildwood) - Did this a few years ago when still in my anti-drop ride stance and hated it but did it again this year after Zumanjaro to compare. Similar to Voodoo, s/w forceful but feels really short. This has the edge over Voodoo simply for the view from up top.

Voodoo Drop (SFA) - Somewhat forceful, but very short drop. Good enough to do more than once.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been on that new traveling Funtime tower Skyfall? It looks, at first glance, to be a super sized version of the Larson / ARM towers, and everyone agrees on how good they are.

EDIT: This one...

That would be so awesome if you could just set that up in your backyard and ride it all day

When it comes to drop rides, all the technology, engineering, and sheer size in the world, still can't beat the old school.

I give the slight edge to Knoebels but I'd put this at #2. I'm a little jealous of eastern Pennsylvania since they probably have the 2 best drop rides in the country within 2 hours of eachother (with Demon Drop and StratosFEAR).