TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I bought this t-shirt at Cedar Point this morning, and I noticed this unnamed B&M dive coaster on it. Am I looking too far into this, or could this be a hint about 2016?
I don't think you're looking to far into it. I mean, maybe they are dropping hints to us. If Cedar Point does NOT end up getting a dive machine for 2016 I'm going to be incredibly shocked.

I doubt it has anything to do with 2016. Planning and design is a different department than the people who make the shirts, I doubt they know anything about it in order to drop hints. Unless it was specifically mentioned to do so. CP and other parks seem to do this a lot, just find a random coaster that will look good on the front of a shirt. I wouldn't look too far into this. Interesting though.

^ ^ It just seems to "perfect" to be random.

I could understand if it were just a small little silhouette of a random coaster in a skyline (like SFGAdv, because apparently a "Vekoma SLC Boomerang" is now a thing) on a random spot of the shirt. But this is clearly placed to be the "focal point" or center of the shirt.

Maybe I'm just looking to far into this, and/or maybe just wishful thinking but foreshadowing???

And yes, I am aware that planning and design is a different department than the "people who make shirts," but that doesn't mean they couldn't have discussed the idea of placing the next Cedar Point roller coasterr on a shirt to get people (AKA: Coaster Enthusiasts and the General Public.) confused and excited.

Also, Cedar Point already has so many unique coasters that are clearly icons in the amusement park industry. . . So why would they just pick a random photo of a random coaster instead of showing off one of the amazing coasters they already have??

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Was at the park today. Had a good day!

First trip to the park this year. Forecast showed for 80% chance of storms all day. Stuck it out and knew it wasn't going to rain all day. Which it didn't! Got to the park around 10 and it was clear skies and pretty warm!

First ride of the day was Gatekeeper. Pretty much a walk on! We only waited a little bit on the stairs and then about three trains in the station. My friend did MaXair next and I sat out because I would have puked my guts out! Next up was Iron Dragon and waited maybe around 2 trains. After ID we went over to Millennium Force and waited maybe about 30 minutes and sat in the front. This ride is amazing in the front!

After we walked down the trail to Maverick and waited maybe a half hour to 40 for this one. The new restraints are awesome and made the ride even better than it ever was. Next we had lunch at the Roundup right by Maverick and after checked out the petting farm. After we walked over to Shoot the Rapids and shockingly enough it was closed! (gasp) ...well what was weird was it had riders on and it was running but the sign out front said it was closed. Who knows. So next we went over to Thunder Canyon and as we enter the line the winds are getting heavy and it looks like a big storm is coming. TC was a little chilly at this point with the wind. Was still a fun ride though.

After we walked over to Mine Ride and waited a few trains for that. We were the last train to go and then it shut down due to weather I guess? Even though the storm didn't come until probably a half hour later. Also I guess there was a power outage at the front of the park according to the ride op?

Anyways so we get in line for the train and downpour begins. Train closes down but luckily we were safe under the Frontier Town station. Probably sat there for a good half hour and then it lightened up but rides were still closed. During that we took a stroll through Breakers and did they do a great job! The hotel looks great! After that we noticed Rougarou was still running in the light rain so went on that. Good ride and better than Mantis! Seemed faster and more intense. Minor head banging was experienced. After that the downpour came back and we decided to ride the train in circles until it stopped. Probably a half hour of riding the train. It was relaxing at least.

After the rain stopped we took a spin on Mean Streak. Running one train and had the worst ride ever on it. Rough as no other! After we walked over to TTD which seemed to be running so jumped in line and waited about 45 for the front. Awesome ride as usual!

Next we went to dinner over at Friday's and had a good meal. After we headed back into the park and rode Magnum and then headed out for the night.

Good day overall besides some bad weather!

Also, I know this is a random observation but I noticed they added a lot of new trash cans around the park without the CP logo stickers on them! Looks better with them.

I was just at Cedar Point for parts of the past four days. The wind was a major problem and kept shutting down Dragster, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Power Tower, and Windseeker. All of them were open Tuesday night, none were open at all on Wednesday, all but Windseeker were open on Thursday, and by late morning wind had closed all of them on Friday (I left at this point to catch a bus so I don't know if they reopened).

It was my first time at the park and I loved it! So many coasters and they all had pretty unique layouts. My favorites were the three big Intamin, Gatekeeper, and Magnum. I was shocked how much I liked Gatekeeper since I had heard it was a newer school, less forceful B&M, but the ride was just pure fun and had some good whipping action in the back. Magnum was awesome when I tightened the seat belt to the max to avoid smashing the hard restraint. Those bunny hills were fierce.

Top Thrill Dragster kept having technical difficulties on Thursday as mentioned earlier. I got on twice and would love to have ridden more if it didn't keep breaking down. I only saw it operate consistently towards the late evening. Kingda Ka didn't seem to break down as often, but that ride is also in a far less windy environment and crews there don't dispatch trains with Cedar Point's efficiency.

I hope to add some photos later this week when I get back to my laptop.

Had a good day at the park yesterday. I arrived just before the rain but once that was all done with, many people had left the park and lines were short and it turned out to be a great day. I can also confirm that the new restraints on Maverick are much better. I didn't have a problem with them before but now I can keep my hands up the entire ride without bruising. Took another lap of Rougarou and I do like this ride though I still got my head bounced off the restraint pretty solidly on the turn-around after the dive loop. Leaning into the other turns avoided further head-banging. I was happy to see Skyhawk running both sides as it's just a favorite of mine and it was only running one side on my last visit.

I paid my first ever visit to Cedar Point this week from Wednesday afternoon through Friday morning, and I had a blast! It was amazing to finally visit the park after hearing so much about it for so long and planning the trip for months. The park itself was very clean with nice landscaping and obviously very scenic being located on Lake Erie. The park's employees were very friendly and entertaining, and the operations were excellent with all coasters running the maximum amount of trains while the ride ops were working efficiently. Cedar Point has an awesome coaster collection with a great Big Three in Dragster, Maverick, and Millennium. It was definitely worth the long trip from Minnesota to get there. Overall, Cedar Point is an amazing park, and I will come back someday, however it probably won't be for a few more years since there are other bucket list parks I need to get to.

Here are my thoughts on Cedar Point's roller coasters, ranked from worst to best:

-Iron Dragon (1 ride): I get that this ride isn't meant to be a major thrill coaster, but I found Iron Dragon to be boring. The Bat at Kings Island was a much better ride. It does have a nice setting though. 4/10

-Mean Streak (1 ride): I rode in the front row and kept my back off the seat, so it wasn't that rough. It was just very slow and uniteresting. It took most of its turns at ridiculously slow speeds. The thing that made it more interesting than Iron Dragon was one brief airtime moment. Other than that, Mean Streak was a pretty pointless ride. RMC, please get your hands on this. 4/10

-Cedar Creek Mine Ride (1 ride): Decent Arrow mine train with some fun laterals and okay drops. Still, more for the younger audience than thrill seekers. 4.5/10

-Corkscrew (2 rides): My favorite part of Corkscrew was the surprisingly intense airhill before the loop. It was a rough ride, though not as rough as I was expecting. 5/10

-Gemini (4 rides, 2 on each side): Probably my favorite racing coaster I've been on so far. Decent forces, not that rough, and got more airtime than I thought I would. It's also fun to interact with the riders on the other train. 6/10

-Wicked Twister (2 rides): I wanted to like Wicked Twister more than I did, but it seemed rougher and less intense than the other impulse coasters I've been on (Steel Venom and Vertical Velocity). Still a fun ride, but slightly disappointing. 6/10

-Gatekeeper (3 rides): I liked Gatekeeper better than X-Flight, mainly because it had a great first drop and the nice keyhole element, not to mention it looks great flying over the park entrance. Not the most intense ride ever, but it was better than I expected. I also have to give credit to the Gatekeeper crew for absolutely hauling it while loading the trains. 7/10

-Blue Streak (3 rides): A great old-school wooden coaster with good floater air over most of the hills. I personally didn't find it to have any more than your typical wooden coaster roughness. Probably one of the more underrated coasters I've ridden. 7.5/10

-Rougarou (7 rides): It's not as good as Kraken in my opinion, but Rougarou was still a great B&M floorless coaster. I never rode Mantis, but it seems like this was definitely a good upgrade from it's former self based on what everyone else has said. The first half was great with some nice forces. Unfortunately, the second half wasn't quite as forceful and had some minor headbanging, however I very much enjoyed Rougarou as a whole. 8/10

-Raptor (2 rides): B&M inverts are always awesome rides, and Raptor was no exception. Had the nice old school B&M snap while going through the inversions all while being forceful. It had a minor rattle, but it didn't detract from the ride experience. The Raptor smack at the end didn't really bother me either. I prefer Banshee and Dragon Challenge over Raptor, but Raptor still kicks butt. 8/10

-Magnum XL-200 (5 rides): I used the "tighten the seat belt" advice I'd read earlier in this thread while riding, and it resulted in some wonderful rides on Magnum. Didn't find it rough, just a little jerky in the pretzel turnaround. After that turnaround was some of the best airtime I've experienced on any coaster, and it didn't let up until the brake run. 9/10

-Millennium Force (7 rides): No, it's not the best coaster I've ever ridden, however it's still an amazing one and comes close to being the best. The first drop is by far my favorite first drop on any coaster. I partially greyed-out in the first overbanked turn every time I rode, very intense. The rest of the ride was forceful all the way to the end with some nice airtime thrown in. 9.5/10

-Maverick (5 rides): Maverick is certainly the most aggressive coaster I've ever ridden. All of the transitions were taken rapidly, but they weren't rough or painful at all with the soft restraints. I particularly liked the quick changes from strong positive-Gs to great ejector air, and the launch out of the tunnel was also wonderful. My biggest question after riding Maverick was this: Why aren't there more of these coasters?! 10/10

-Top Thrill Dragster (2 rides): I had a hard time deciding whether I liked Maverick or Dragster the best, but the incredible launch on Dragster was something that Maverick just couldn't beat for me. Sure, it's a one-trick pony that's only 17 seconds long, but they were 17 seconds of pure joy. 10/10

As for other rides, I rode maXair, Skyhawk, Power Tower (drop side), and the Sky Ride. maXair was just plain fun, Skyhawk was a great Screamin' Swing, Power Tower was okay, and Sky Ride provided nice views of the front half of the park.

And Maverick steals the heart of yet another fellow coaster enthusiast. Speaking of hearts and Maverick, I still wish they would have figured out a way to keep the heartline roll.

I think everyone wishes they could have found a way to keep the heartline roll it looked amazing!!!

Wonderful, the forecast says rain for the whole week and I'm going back for the first time in 6 years on Thursday. Already bought tickets, fast lane, and booked a hotel too. Rain seems to follow me wherever I go

My forecast was the same for my trip a few weeks ago, but the weather can change really quickly, so there's still hope! It ended up raining a couple times, but only for a few minutes each time and I still got on all the rides.

Wonderful, the forecast says rain for the whole week and I'm going back for the first time in 6 years on Thursday. Already bought tickets, fast lane, and booked a hotel too. Rain seems to follow me wherever I go

The forecast says "Chance of a Thunderstorm" all week, not rain. That usually means sunny almost all day with one passing storm during the day, and probably lower crowd levels and shorter lines. Low winds too... looks like great weather to me.

The forecast says "Chance of a Thunderstorm" all week, not rain. That usually means sunny almost all day with one passing storm during the day, and probably lower crowd levels and shorter lines. Low winds too... looks like great weather to me.

Yup, I'm visiting Thursday and Friday this week and am not one bit concerned about a stray thunderstorm. When I went to the park last year, a thunderstorm around 9 scared away TONS of people on a Sunday in July, meaning walkons for everything. Yes, even Maverick,TTD, Gatekeeper, etc. had a 2-3 train wait or less, and Millennium was only a10 minute wait all day. Hoping for the same thing again this year!

Very true. I went on Friday and it said 80% chance of rain. It rained for two hours at one point during the day and the rest of the day was sunny. It was great because crowds were very minimal!