TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

From a BGWFans post
I don't know where else to say this, but there was a man in a black windbreaker that said "Cedar Fair VP of _____" on the breast, I couldn't make it out what it said in the time I saw him. This was by Griffon. I do not believe this supports any acquisition rumor, but rather that they were casing Griffon e because Cedar Point is getting a dive coaster next year.

Pretty sure Tony Clark was in Florida recently, maybe to ride the other Dive Coaster. This wouldn't shock me, as I know they had some people riding X-Flight prior to installing GateKeeper.

I'm sure the Cedar Fair execs have made another trip up to Great America to try out Goliath.

When Bill Koch was running Holiday World, he would take Pat and their whole caravan of kids around the country to amusement parks to get ideas. Now that the kids are grown up, they do the same.

I'm sure the Cedar Fair execs have made another trip up to Great America to try out Goliath.

When Bill Koch was running Holiday World, he would take Pat and their whole caravan of kids around the country to amusement parks to get ideas. Now that the kids are grown up, they do the same.

In completely related news, Tony Clark rode Fury 325 today.

Lol who's Bill Koch?

^ A deceased member of the Koch family of Holiday World. He used to be the president of the park, before he handed the control to his son Will, who tragically died in 2010, then his other son, Dan, took control of the park. Without getting into everything that went down and to make a long story short, His son, Dan, now is the owner and President of Alabama Splash Adventure and his grand children (Will's children) now own HW and hold prominent roles within the park. His wife is Pat Koch, who for years greeted guests at the gate at HW, and could be found throughout the park sweeping and cleaning. She is now with Dan at ASA doing the exact same thing.

Wow, I really showed my inner HW fanboy there, but the Koch family is kind of famous throughout the amusement industry and among enthusiasts.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

From a BGWFans post
I don't know where else to say this, but there was a man in a black windbreaker that said "Cedar Fair VP of _____" on the breast, I couldn't make it out what it said in the time I saw him. This was by Griffon. I do not believe this supports any acquisition rumor, but rather that they were casing Griffon e because Cedar Point is getting a dive coaster next year.

I know what windbreaker you're talking about. There are TONS of them that actually say "VIP." They were given to season pass holders for free a few years back. I live 10 minutes from cedar point and the local goodwill stores have tons of those jackets that were donated since then.

^ A deceased member of the Koch family of Holiday World. He used to be the president of the park, before he handed the control to his son Will, who tragically died in 2010, then his other son, Dan, took control of the park. Without getting into everything that went down and to make a long story short, His son, Dan, now is the owner and President of Alabama Splash Adventure and his grand children (Will's children) now own HW and hold prominent roles within the park. His wife is Pat Koch, who for years greeted guests at the gate at HW, and could be found throughout the park sweeping and cleaning. She is now with Dan at ASA doing the exact same thing.

Wow, I really showed my inner HW fanboy there, but the Koch family is kind of famous throughout the amusement industry and among enthusiasts.

Oh...... I thought he miswrote Will.

Don Helbig rode Fury today as well, I wonder if he'll want to push for a B&M giga now. Should be interesting to see what type of coaster KI opts for next with its proximity to CP. It seems like Cedar Fair have only added things to KI that were longtime staples at the Point (Diamondback/Magnum, Banshee/Raptor).

As for CP itself, whispers of execs riding dive machines is an interesting development. My guess/hope is that the dive coaster is legit, and that we'll see RMC at the park for one or more projects before the big 150. If Mean Streak is converted, I hope that topper track is used in a new layout to keep it as a wood coaster.

Don Helbig rode Fury today as well, I wonder if he'll want to push for a B&M giga now. Should be interesting to see what type of coaster KI opts for next with its proximity to CP. It seems like Cedar Fair have only added things to KI that were longtime staples at the Point (Diamondback/Magnum, Banshee/Raptor).

I think you are reading a little too far into things. Important people from parks throughout the chain are going to be invited to ride the chain's most recent capital investment. It doesn't mean they are there to determine if Kings Island should receive a giga-coaster, but simply a bunch of executives trying out the company's new toy. Think of it as a family member hosting a house warming party when they move into a new home. Using your logic, since Tony Clark rode Fury 325, it could be speculated that Cedar Point is looking into a B&M giga to complement Millennium Force.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to assume Cedar Fair is only adding things that were longtime staples at Cedar Point to Kings Island. The best justification was that Kings Island was desperately in need for a signature steel coaster when Diamondback was built, and Banshee filled the marquee roller coaster need once SOB was removed.

Tony was down at the Banshee Media Day last year working hard with many others from Cedar Point/Cedar Fair to help it run smoothly. Would not be the least bit surprised to see him working the Fury 325 Media Day.

Not to derail this into the Carowinds thread, it seems like it will happen even though Fury's media day crowds are way less. Tony actually posted a photo today showing a TON (including Matt Outimet) of Cedar Fair management riding Fury 325.

I think you are reading a little too far into things.

I'm aware of and agree with everything you've just said, I'm only stirring the pot. 2 out of 3 of the parks that received a B&M hyper now have a giga, so that's also a factor. I was trying to indicate that CF has done well at adding things to Kings Island that complement that park and also aren't in danger of stealing Cedar Point's thunder, so to speak. I wouldn't have bothered to say anything if Helbig's reaction wasn't so strong: 'in the argument for best ride experience ever.'

The only place I disagree is that you're skirting the line on a straw man argument with the whole B&M giga for Cedar Point thing, especially since I go on to discuss the dive coaster leak and other possibilities for the rest of my post. Now I just want to see Tony's reverse POV

From a BGWFans post

I know what windbreaker you're talking about. There are TONS of them that actually say "VIP." They were given to season pass holders for free a few years back. I live 10 minutes from cedar point and the local goodwill stores have tons of those jackets that were donated since then.

I actually still have mine from 2008.

Can't wait to see the new B&M Dive coaster. I can see the foot print now from the live web cam on the Dragster. They removed The Wild Cat, and Theater. They are moving The Calypso, and Dodgem. That leaves a big empty spot Where the Wild Cat once was. This is gonna ROCK!!

Can't wait to see the new B&M Dive coaster. I can see the foot print now from the live web cam on the Dragster. They removed The Wild Cat, and Theater. They are moving The Calypso, and Dodgem. That leaves a big empty spot Where the Wild Cat once was. This is gonna ROCK!!