TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Count me in the crowd thinking it's going to be a re-theme with new trains.

Did I hate Mantis? No, I've gotten 2-3 rides in this year and I'm gonna ride it a few more times before it closes. But was it anywhere near my favorite coasters? No, I find Mantis to be a little bit of fun but I'm not exactly sad it's closing either.

I'm still thinking that Mantis will be getting floorless trains and not get demolished because if you're going to completely remove a coaster to make way for a new one, why wouldn't you do it to something older like Iron Dragon or Corkscrew or Gemini? I guess there is a slight possibility it could get totally removed, but since the ride is only 18 years old, it wouldn't make sense to send it to the graveyard just yet. If Mantis was to get relocated, I'd say send it to Michigan's Adventure because at this point, anything would be a good addition for them. Although, with them stating that more details for 2015 will be released later on, I think that the coaster's structure will stay put and floorless trains will happen.

Also, with both Mantis and Skyrider closing in the same year, that leads me to believe that the other CF stand-up coasters' days might be numbered. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shockwave and the two Vortexes close in the near future.

Is a new train enough to market it by? I think they'll have to load up on some other gimmicks, be it fire or sound or whatnot.

Come on... we're not talking Six Flags here. Hopefully they won't cheese ball it up like that.

I'll think less of CF is fire and/or music are added.

if you're going to completely remove a coaster to make way for a new one, why wouldn't you do it to something older like Iron Dragon or Corkscrew or Gemini?

While I agree with your point about the conversion I have an answer for you on this...

Iron Dragon and Gemeni are incredibly popular rides. Iron Dragon's line is spilling out the entrance more often than not and Gemeni rarely has a long line due in part to it's capacity but has pretty good ridership. I don't know what kind of numbers Corkscrew does but it doesn't take up much room so removing it seems pointless.

If you look at last year's ridership numbers. You'll see that Iron Dragon and Gemeni both beat both Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick. Sure there are other factors like weather, reliability and capacity but the fact remains that those rides beat 2 of the 3 biggest rides in the park. The only rides listed with more riders than Gemeni and Iron Dragon were Sky Ride, CP & LE Railroad, Gatekeeper, Raptor and Millennium Force.

Edited by coasterbill

Is a new train enough to market it by? I think they'll have to load up on some other gimmicks, be it fire or sound or whatnot.

Come on... we're not talking Six Flags here. Hopefully they won't cheese ball it up like that.

I'll think less of CF is fire and/or music are added.

Ahem, of course if Cedar Point were a Six Flags park. Mantis would get floorless trains and be renamed "Medusa"!

I do hope they don't tear this down. I've only been to CP once and did get a chance to ride Mantis, thankfully. Having said that, one ride was enough... only because of the head banging that really hurt my ears by the end of the ride. I really enjoyed the layout, but the head banging kinda ruined it. That's why I'd really like to see them outfit some new trains and keep the track in place.

I agree with others that the stand-up concept has run it's course. Let's put some floorless trains on this thing and turn it into an incredible ride.

I am in the minority of people that rode Mantis and enjoyed it. Mantis also served as my first Stand up coaster, watch it get sold to Dorney Park as a Stand Up.

i thought it was decent. but only rode it once in the last two years because i was focused on other stuff. it was a walk on when i rode, too. but to be honest, i only rode it cause i wanted the on ride photo, then realized after it wasn't included in the all day photo pass.

i did really like it when it was new before the trim brake though.

my hope is they move it and bring a totally new coaster, even if we have to wait longer.

I'll shut up from now on.

Thanks.

LMAO!!! I don't know why but this made me laugh for a good 2 minutes!

Maybe they'll have some new, revolutionary train that puts you in a kneeling position and call it Praying Mantis.

This is funny too!!!!

Edited by FaithPlus1

I rode mantis once when i went on my trip to cedar point. I didn't find it that bad as anyone is saying it is. I actually found it the least painful stand up I've been on. Also why are they still calling them selves the coaster capital?

Also why are they still calling them selves the coaster capital?

Because what is the "coaster capital?" The park with the most coasters? The best coasters? With the best coaster operations? The most coasters with a 48" or over height restriction? There isn't any definition. So I think if Cedar Point wants to keep calling themselves the "Coaster Capital" I think they have every right to.

Edited by robbalvey

Also why are they still calling them selves the coaster capital?

Because what is the "coaster capital?" The park with the most coasters? The best coasters? With the best coaster operations? The most coasters with a 48" or over height restriction? There isn't any definition. So I think if Cedar Point wants to keep calling themselves the "Coaster Capital" I think they have every right to.

What happened to "America's Roller Coaster"?????? I thought Kennywood was the "Coaster Capital"????? I have a cup that says so dammit......LOL

Anyway, I am guessing by the pics that say something along the lines of "Last Stand" they are changing trains. And by option 3 on Tony's tweet, they will be retiring the name and changing that also........

Everyone please stop joking about Mantis going to Dorney. Please just stop.

I'm skeptical about a relocation/total removal, so I'm pulling for a good overhaul with new paint/trains/theming/etc. I never had a huge problem with Mantis so hopefully an overhaul will make me really enjoy it.

Um... i think Mantis is going to relocate

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/506467064803254272/photo/1

3. Relocate Mantis

Does anyone think relocating Mantis to Canada's Wonderland is an option at all? I'd be so upset if so the ride hurts so much I rode it two weeks ago with my partner and he hated it to I really hope we don't see Mantis show up...

If Mantis does get floorless trains, do you think it might have the new vest restraints? I know that B&M has put them on wings, inverts, and flyers before, do you think they might put them on the floorless trains next?

^^^Please don't add thousands of extra letters and smilies to your posts, thank you.

Edited by GCI Wooden

I enjoyed Mantis. It's my 2nd favorite standup after Riddler and I marathoned it at the end of the night with nobody on it. Though, it doesn't surprise me that it's closing, well at least in its current state, since the ride was a walk-on for the entire day when I was at CP a few weeks ago.

It's a good thing I got the credit.