TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I find the B&M Wingrider restraints some of the worst they've ever created. On my body, they get tighter and tighter till I'm left barely able to breathe by the time we hit the brake run. I've confirmed other people also have this issue. Seems to affect different body types and leave others alone just fine. I'm hoping these are at least slightly modified.

^I'm tall and skinny and have the same problem. Usually by the brake run they make breathing slightly harder however I hardly seem to notice them throughout the ride. There's also complaints of them hurting peoples shoulders. Then again, their not that bad, people seem to expect lazy boy recliners on all roller coasters these days.

^^I have never ridden a Wingrider and this kinda worries me a bit...

My BF is 69 years old with mild COPD and constricting on his chest by a restraint is probably not going to wow him. Trying the restraint and test seat probably won't help him if the restriction gets worse as the ride progresses. We all want to have fun and are all very excited to ride this coaster, but I don't want it to be a bummer or day-ender for my partner to ride it.

Perhaps we will wait and read some reviews on here before we head out to ride this one. Most likely, we won't be going out till the 2nd or 3rd week of June anyway, so I'm sure we'll see plenty of comments on here by then!

^Yeah, the problem's going to be it really seems to affect everyone differently. Bigger people don't seem to have quite as much the problem as smaller people or taller people. Maybe just wait till the end of the day to ride so it doesn't ruin his day if it makes him feel uncomfortable.

I understand that any roller coaster company allows a restraint to tighten while on the ride (as opposed to letting it get looser, for obvious reasons) but this tightens MUCH more than any restraint I've ever felt. On Wild Eagle, if you held onto the vest as opposed to the handles, you could prevent it from tightening. It just meant you had to hold on the entire time and could never put your hands up and be "free"

Since the problem tends to be noticed while on the brake run and not during the ride, I'm really not going to let my past experiences deter me from enjoying GateKeeper. This minor inconvenience isn't enough to majorly affect how I'll feel about the ride. I know it will be a good one!

^^Thanks Elissa...we have been talking about going out on the 2nd week of June where three of us will take off work Friday so we can be out there Thursday night. That would probably be the best time to go in and take a spin on it, in case there are any issues...without having to wait in a 2 hour line before-hand.

I guess the good thing is that being that my entire group is over 40, we are also a bit plumper in the waist-line...could that possibly be an advantage for us for once in our lives??

I find the B&M Wingrider restraints some of the worst they've ever created. On my body, they get tighter and tighter till I'm left barely able to breathe by the time we hit the brake run. I've confirmed other people also have this issue. Seems to affect different body types and leave others alone just fine. I'm hoping these are at least slightly modified.

As much as it pains me to put down a cool new ride technology, and an attempt at better restraints, I unfortunately must completely agree with your observation. I wanted to like them, but after much riding on Wild Eagle, I was left uncomfortable and unimpressed. And restraints don't usually bother me (Skyrush was fine).

^I agree, there's no reason i can see to have the restraints keep crushing you throughout the ride. The ones on B&M flyers don't do it and none of their other restraints do either. I also rode the hell out of wildeagle and it was the only downfall of the ride.

I had the same experience on Wild Eagle. They started off amazingly comfortable. A few elements in though and they were extremely tight and by the end of the ride my collar bones weren't all too happy. It was unfortunate since it distracted from what was otherwise a genuinely fun ride.

Every time I ride X-Flight, I can't help but think how much fun it would be with out the stupid vest. Kinda like Dare Devil Dive is fun (even with hang time) with the big padded lap bar. Oh well... I'm "restraint sensitive." But that doesn't matter much, as most people aren't bothered with it.

The restraints on Wild Eagle weren't a problem for me, but other people in the group I was with had some issues with them. I think they tend to put the squeeze on smaller, rather than larger, people.

I remember holding my restraints away from me while riding Wild Eagle because it was sort of hurting. It was not unbearable for me but it was not comfortable either. I would hope B&M did some modifications to it. Maybe just more padding.

Those vests tighten around my shoulders/collarbones. I'm 6-1, 220. I have friends of all sizes and the "annoyance" seems to be randomly here and there, not just with small or tall peeps.

Maybe they'll eventually just scrap the rubber vest portion of the restraint (and Intamin will do the same with their "conveniently-easy-to-unscrew-with-an-allen-wrench" shoulder straps). Think how comfy those rides would be - not to mention the view! I'm in coaster fantasyland again

I didn't think Wild Eagle's restraints were any worse than those of Maverick/305/Storm Runner/Skyrush/Cheetah Hunt. Any restraint system utilizing hydraulics instead of ratchets is going to inevitably tighten down during the ride, which is why I love ratcheting restraints. For the record, I enjoy every ride I listed quite a bit.

Hmm I didn't know this about the vest style restraints, good to know. I've only been on one ride with the vests, Tatsu, and my one lap was unpleasant. The restraints weren't tight enough and as the train would flip and spin I would get tossed around, kinda freaky coming out of the pretzel haha. Anyway, I hope there's no issues in my camp because I plan on riding this many, many times.

When I rode X-flight I did not notice or have an issue with the constricting feeling until the brake run. I started to get that claustrophibic feeling and remember hoping that the train would not stack. Great America was great at not staking the trains so we just rolled right into the station thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to change at all. I prefer the I305 style vest as they do not tighten.

Are the restrains on B&M wing coasters hydraulic? I didn't know that. What I did notice was how the ones on some intamin coasters like kingda ka and furius baco will considerably tighten down during the ride and by the end they will be crushing your legs. I guess that's the inconvenient with the hydraulic system.

Still, really looking forward to gatekeeper.

Are the restrains on B&M wing coasters hydraulic? I didn't know that. What I did notice was how the ones on some intamin coasters like kingda ka and furius baco will considerably tighten down during the ride and by the end they will be crushing your legs. I guess that's the inconvenient with the hydraulic system.

Still, really looking forward to gatekeeper.

That was the problem on Skyrush. The lapbars would lower if you pushed on it during the ride, or in this case, from the forces. I think on a b&m it would work fine

photo from negative-G.com

Still unsure how the seatbelt mechanism for the vests work. From what's in that picture, it looks like a weight of that metal bar that's pulling down on it. It looks like that bar might be attached to something inside of the frame, but hard to tell in that picture.

The best way I can describe is when a seat belt in a car locks, it tightens and wont release. And unlike a car where you can just unlock the seat belt when ever, you have to wait till you're back in the station. For me it was more of an uncomfortable pain then intolerable pain, after my 2nd ride on Wild Eagle I was just ignoring the pain.