TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I wish it we're a "hands up" ride for me. RMCs are the most painful rides I've ever ridden. I came off of the others that I've been on with bruises. So painful. Thank goodness for these handlebars. I hope they add them on the rest of the fleet.

I'm with you on this, tho totally realize we're in the minority (big time)

but I found those grab bars to be the only reason I was able to ride SV, and they would have made TT much more tolerable to me.

as noted in other places tho. . .there are lots of other coasters I love, so no real biggie.. but if more of them had grab bars (or switched back to the older restraints such as on Texas Giant or on Iron Rattler? , I'd ride them more.

Has there been any mention in this thread about the spiders at the park? The queue for Steel Vengeance is something out of a nightmare, especially at night. My wife almost didn't make it through.

Sounds wonderful ... but unlucky for a few. This TOTALLY takes me back to working at the Point in the early 90s and living at the Cedars dorm. My first year (91) our room was the last in the hallway "across the street" (Perimeter Road) from Wildcat (loved that ride). On adjoining hallways, there are these awesome old-fashioned breezeways which were FILLED WITH HUGE SPIDERS constantly. One of these breezeways was just outside our room.

It seemed the custodial staff would routinely spray the entire breezeway (ceiling and all) with high-powered water hoses to get all the spiders/webs/muffle heads out. Never lasted long. Spiders: terrifying, thrilling and cool. There were so many at the point, HUGE ones too. There were residents that would do their best to avoid walking through there: "keep your eyes forward, don't look around or up!" Being on the lake, the spiders such a rich food source with all the bugs.

I wish it we're a "hands up" ride for me. RMCs are the most painful rides I've ever ridden. I came off of the others that I've been on with bruises. So painful. Thank goodness for these handlebars. I hope they add them on the rest of the fleet.

Honestly, I am a hands up all the way person when it comes to airtime-rich coasters, but there are parts of SV that I will sometimes put my arms down for. The snap coming out of the roll before the midcourse, and the snap going into the midcourse (particularly for the back right I believe), can be really painful on the shoulder if you're not paying close mind about bracing. I've hit the person next to me multiple times in those portions and I've snapped my shoulder as well.

Also, the closest I've gotten to a marathon of the ride was on our last visit with FL+ on a Tuesday. The last hour of operation we pretty much only had a one train wait, and mostly because we were requesting the back row. Got in about 8 rides. My thighs were aching by the end of the night, and I did end up with a few bruises (though not as many as I thought, given how painful it was just walking back to the cars after that).

Not complaining by any means. I love the sh*t out of coasters that beat me up with airtime and bruise my thighs, and I even tend of love rough coasters that other people hate. I can see this being a turnoff for a lot of people, though, and why there will always be the subset of people that prefer Millennium Force.

Honestly, I am a hands up all the way person when it comes to airtime-rich coasters, but there are parts of SV that I will sometimes put my arms down for. The snap coming out of the roll before the midcourse, and the snap going into the midcourse (particularly for the back right I believe), can be really painful on the shoulder if you're not paying close mind about bracing. I've hit the person next to me multiple times in those portions and I've snapped my shoulder as well.

I'm with you on this....most RMC's hurt me.... but I wouldn't change a thing...they are fantastic!!!!! my problem is that I'm overweight and my stomach rubs the lapbar... but damn....RMC's are the best and the stomach issue is my own fault

I hit my hands on the side of the train 2-3 times every time I rode SV, but I had been waiting to ride it for so long, so I was too pumped to even care. Definitely a hands-up ride for me, I just let the ride throw me around. I could see how somehow wouldn't like that though. I wonder if it's possible that the reason the MCBR has been trimming is because too many people complained about the ride being too intense and painful?

Has there been any mention in this thread about the spiders at the park? The queue for Steel Vengeance is something out of a nightmare, especially at night. My wife almost didn't make it through.

Yep, I brought it up a couple of weeks ago. The long corridor within Mean Streak's structure was always spider paradise, but it had been rare that the coaster ever had much of a line in its later years for people to notice. There are lots around Valravn's stairs and under its station, and it's the same for Millennium Force's ramp, but Steel Vengeance takes the cake -- boatloads of big spiders right above and all around you in line. If someone doesn't like spiders, it's probably a scarier gauntlet than the nearby haunt walkthrough!

I noticed that last week. I was in line at the end of the night (night is when the spiders are much worse) and the lady in front of me actually turned around, and screamed every time a spider moved. I know it’s not pleasant having those over you, but she was being a bit over dramatic, leaving the line after waiting an hour in the switchbacks.

Hey that just makes the line shorter!

I'm with you on this, tho totally realize we're in the minority (big time)

but I found those grab bars to be the only reason I was able to ride SV, and they would have made TT much more tolerable to me.

as noted in other places tho. . .there are lots of other coasters I love, so no real biggie.. but if more of them had grab bars (or switched back to the older restraints such as on Texas Giant or on Iron Rattler? , I'd ride them more.

I’ve wondered, did RMC put any thought into the design of these new trains? The lap bars are too far onto your thighs, the shin restraints kill tall guys like me, the trains have had various failures (like seatback cushions coming off, and rows closed due to restraint problems), and weren’t designed to have grab handles. I think RMC should have spent at least a bit more time in the design studio before making the trains a reality.

i thought the new train design, or the lap bar, was much softer or shaped different than the original design. Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers didn't bother me at all. But, Twisted Cyclone was hurting me, in a good way, much more.

but overall, it just has to do with a number of factors how much pain, or not your get while riding. i sure don't know what it is though. lol

Yea, I don't know why you guys are mentioning that you put your hands up on this ride as that's irrelevant to what I'm saying. It might just be a tall person thing, but all of the pressure goes right to my thighs. I've been on painful rides in the past, but RMCs become unbearable. The handlebars help relieve the pressure.

As for the spider thing, I don't know how they'd fix it. It seems like they don't even try, though.

Does Cedar Point have a fairly liberal rider assistance program policy (I'm not sure what exactly they call it)? I'm not judging because I know not all disabilities are visible, but I have seen so many people coming up through the exit with sheets at so many rides, more than at any other park I've been to. Is that what it is or is it something else? At this point I'm just really curious.

As for the spider thing, I don't know how they'd fix it. It seems like they don't even try, though.

Maybe we could introduce a foreign tree frog residence to the peninsula and they'll take dominance and eat all the bugs, but then we might get complaints that there's too many tree frogs, so we would have to introduce snakes and birds that eat tree frogs and then animals that eat birds and snakes, and then we'd just basically spiral out of control until Cedar Point was real life Jurassic Park.

and not to open up this discussion again, but having just gotten back from Six Flags Over Texas, and ridden New Texas Giant - and was surprised to find a zippered net pocket attached to the seat in front of you, to place your cell phone in -- explicitly stated that is what it was for. . . . I really don't understand why some of the newer coasters aren't offering this?

and not to open up this discussion again, but having just gotten back from Six Flags Over Texas, and ridden New Texas Giant - and was surprised to find a zippered net pocket attached to the seat in front of you, to place your cell phone in -- explicitly stated that is what it was for. . . . I really don't understand why some of the newer coasters aren't offering this?

They were/are testing that with Twisted Timbers @ KD. I wouldn't be surprised if it were added to TT and Steel Vengeance next year.

Does Cedar Point have a fairly liberal rider assistance program policy (I'm not sure what exactly they call it)? I'm not judging because I know not all disabilities are visible, but I have seen so many people coming up through the exit with sheets at so many rides, more than at any other park I've been to. Is that what it is or is it something else? At this point I'm just really curious.

I agree, but it's hard to tell the disabilities. The group should be limited to the disabled person plus 1 if help is needed to get in and out of the train. I've seen groups of up to 12 suck up all the seats. That's not right! If more need to ride together, the disabled person waits until the family comes though the line and they are joined at that time. This is really getting out of control. It's not just Cedar Point either.

i was just at magic mountain the other day and finally sat in a train with one of those. (they're randomly here and there on twisted colossus) i know i'm not putting my phone in there since magic mountain never cleans their trains at all. the pouch was just nasty looking inside.

i'm sure if cedar fair ever did something like that, it would be done a better and maintained. then i'm sure people would try to hold them liable if something went wrong.

i was just at magic mountain the other day and finally sat in a train with one of those. (they're randomly here and there on twisted colossus) i know i'm not putting my phone in there since magic mountain never cleans their trains at all. the pouch was just nasty looking inside.

i'm sure if cedar fair ever did something like that, it would be done a better and maintained. then i'm sure people would try to hold them liable if something went wrong.

wouldn't a simple statement such as "at your own risk" cover them? i mean, if they don't want to leave in a FFBFwMaG, then this is their only option, so any issue would be their own fault?

but it would be a nice option. . I had zippered pockets to put my phone in, but really the line for Giant would have been pretty dull if I had not been able to text back and forth with spouse while waiting. (he didn't ride and was waiting for me on a bench)

wouldn't a simple statement such as "at your own risk" cover them? i mean, if they don't want to leave in a FFBFwMaG, then this is their only option, so any issue would be their own fault?

but it would be a nice option. . I had zippered pockets to put my phone in, but really the line for Giant would have been pretty dull if I had not been able to text back and forth with spouse while waiting. (he didn't ride and was waiting for me on a bench)

you would hope. really, i wouldn't mind if the statement said, at your own risk, and if you lose something, too bad, we're not going to bother looking for it.

Judging by how the only loose article they're restricting is cell phones, I think their bigger concern is the person who tries to film a POV. If their phone is still accessible, that won't stop those people unfortunately.

I'm all for adding these zippered pouches though since it does offer some extra security for those without zippered or velcro pockets.

Judging by how the only loose article they're restricting is cell phones, I think their bigger concern is the person who tries to film a POV. If their phone is still accessible, that won't stop those people unfortunately.

I'm all for adding these zippered pouches though since it does offer some extra security for those without zippered or velcro pockets.

Being zippered would give me more mental security. At Disney on Rock N’ Roller Coaster, I was a bit nervous to put my phone in the bag by itself, worrying about how it could fall out. Luckily a friend had a hat to put in it over our phones, which gave both of us peace of mind a bit more.

I’m all for the zippered bags as it’s convenient, easy and secure.

I agree, but it's hard to tell the disabilities. The group should be limited to the disabled person plus 1 if help is needed to get in and out of the train. I've seen groups of up to 12 suck up all the seats. That's not right! If more need to ride together, the disabled person waits until the family comes though the line and they are joined at that time. This is really getting out of control. It's not just Cedar Point either.

According to Cedar Point's policies, the disabled guest and only up to three other people can enter through the alternate entrance, the rest of their party has to wait in the regular queue, AND if they all want to ride together the disabled guest and their companions have to wait until the rest of the party is on the platform before entering at all. Also, the policy states that disabled guests' parties are given a specific return time to board in every circumstance. I would also assume that the disabled guest isn't allowed to ride three times in a row with different party members accompanying them, either.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/help/accessibility

Now, whether this stuff is actually strictly enforced or not, that's anyone's guess.

It might just be a tall person thing, but all of the pressure goes right to my thighs. I've been on painful rides in the past, but RMCs become unbearable.

I will admit, this is one reason I don't actually love RMC's. The air is just to strong and becomes painful for me. I am 6'6" so perhaps the bar just pins my leg differently than most, but it sucks. Fun rides, but they are not the most re-ridable which for me as after 3-4 rides it is nearly unbearable to ride as it hurts so much. I prefer more "tame" air, like on Fury or Mako... (unpopular opinion, I know!). Steel Vengeance in particular is the most intense of the one's I've ridden (Joker, Wicked Cyclone, Storm Chaser, Goliath and SV).

I agree. The way the pouches are set up on TT behind your legs makes them difficult, if not virtually impossible, to access whenever the lap bar is pulled down because of the shin guard blocking most of it. I think that setup could work if they do "beta tests" of sorts and get an efficient system going.