TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wow! When I heard that Steel Vengeance had a minor crash this morning, I was concerned about whether the ride would reopen by June when I visited Cedar Point. But hearing that the ride reopened on that very same day, I'm just shocked, as it opened back up WAY sooner than I was expecting. Mad props to Cedar Point for getting Steel Vengeance open again so quickly, and I can't wait to ride next month.

Cedar Fair RMCs were a mistake

Kinda worried how they'll take all these problems into their relationship with RMC, hope they'll try and fix them and continue installing more RMCs. We still have one more RMC (Railblazer ((: ) to possibly pick up the pieces.

I just now caught up on the SV news. Oh my goodness! Crash, minor injuries, keyboard engineers, testing, reopened with riders. All in one day and several pages of a TPR forum! It was like a short suspense novel lol!

Literally this forum has been blowing up all day. Went from "OMG CRASH IT WON'T OPEN ALL DAY ;c" to "they just reopened it *whip*" (ew there was no need for me to add that but I felt the need to), but honestly props to CP today. Just hope the GP won't come back in the night and burn guest services down.

Huge props to Cedar Point for making it right for everyone who waited x amount of hours and didn't get to ride by giving them fastlane and stuff like that. It was a very very weird situation but CP handled it well and it's even better that they got it open by the end of the night! We were in the area but the cutoff was reached unfortunately. I had already gotten 2 rides early on though so definitely not complaining.

Great day at the park otherwise. They are hurting for staff but making the best with what they have. Got in a lot of rides on a crowded day. It's going to be a great summer!

I've long since kinda accepted that Cedar Point opening day is a mess and just work around it, often by skipping it. My life has been OK without it in May. With Steel Vengeance, obviously I was going to show up. On the upside, it wasn't year 3 of 4 in which my season pass renewal done online was a disaster causing me to go to Guest Services, so that immediately went in my favor.

Did I run to Steel Vengeance? I'd call it a light jog. I waited 30ish minutes.

Is it the greatest ride ever? Give me more rides first. It's definitely a very, very good ride, but there's an insane level of expectation. With one ride, that's an tough thing to go about expressing with any certainty. I think the claims that it isn't "intense" which I've heard from some folks are frankly delusional. We've reached the point where RMC is so ubiquitous that people actually think the rides aren't forceful any more even as there is ejector on probably 10 spots of the ride.

There was barely anything else to ride; I'm not sure Maverick was going during early entry, and if it wasn't, no coaster ran for the 9-10AM slot other than Steel Vengeance. I rode Cedar Downs, Magnum, went through the main arcade (basically unchanged) and some gift shops. Had a burger from one of the food trucks (the argentinian one), and it was little surprise that they were the most competent at processing payment and making food (it was insanely good, like, I would eat that regularly and be excited to do so). I smoked a couple of cigarettes in the parking lot hanging out with an TPR member of yore and left before the trains collided. I'll go back a bunch of times this year, so "meh" to waiting for stuff that's running one/two trains less than it has or not at all.

One thing CP has done this year is stagger ride opening times for stuff like flats. Cedar Downs was listed as running from 10-3, and then we saw that Matterhorn was to open at 4. Not ideal, but it's a thing if you were crazy enough to try and make a big weekend of this.

Mini Trip Report Time!

While today was obviously an interesting day, I still had loads of fun. I’ll start off with this. As I said to Robb earlier I’m never someone looking for a perfect day at the point, the park is just too big and TTDs normal breakdowns and wind always seem to ruin our “perfect plans”. Thus, we just go with the flow and expect some great times with friends and family on whatever great rides are open. And that’s what we did today.

Starting at the beginning, we were a tad late so we didn’t go to the hotel entrance, but instead did it from the main gate and speed wakes back. We made it to SC at 9:10 and didn’t get on until 12:21 (an hour before the incident?). Wow. I need to redo my banner to include hybrids but dang that ride rips. All the reviews so far I feel have gotten what’s right: this ride is an insane ride, with insane airtime, insane pace, and a perfect compliment to Maverick. Wow.

BB9F39AE-895B-4154-83A2-EC58DFB29C7F.thumb.jpeg.3d16e5a6815cfa8067384a6bdf250a0e.jpeg

Quick Pic 1

844E08CF-C989-4BF8-A6A6-373D53479393.thumb.jpeg.8ea7912003b542037353acffa747a663.jpeg

Quick Pic 2

After this we decided to eat at famous Dave’s. Why? I really don’t know but that place honestly is pretty darn good, even though we all only got wings and no ribs . Next we walked past a closed Valravn , a line slightly past worth it for Blue streak for us, then we saw GateKeeper running and went there.

I got a front left seat ride and it honestly was one my better rides I’ve had on it. This was around the time SV’s accident had made it to Twitter. I took the point of view that it couldn’t have been as bad as *some people* were making it out to be.

Next we walked back past Wicked Twister to see the remnants of the stadium. More random walking and joking with my friends brought us back to the midway, where we would walk towards TTD and Magnum. We saw people in TTD’s station, but decided it was going through it’s normal early year jitters and didn’t mind skipping it. This lead us to Magnum, where we got a normal ride on the leg breaker, which of course lead to more jokes and good laughs.

Next we decided to walk towards Maverick, we took a detour and rode Cedar Creek Mine Train, I made a chant saying “Better than Steel Vengance” it didn’t really stick. Finally we decided to ride Maverick and found out that Coaster’s Studio guy was having a meet and greet in front of Maverick. (Ima be honest me and my friend would watch his yearly plan videos for MiA mostly because they were a strong satire for that park most of the time), but obviously Maverick > a person, and we rode Maverick. Average ride for Maverick and me, but the effects in the tunnel are a nice very minor addition.

Now SV was testing again, and we watched them load one of the trains with water dummies while waiting for the actual train. A quick ride around 1 and 1/2 times for a break brought us to an above average ride on Rougarou (I actually really liked it today) and a normal ride on Millie. At this point it was around 7 (I think, all of our phones were dead) and we were exhausted because we got up at 5 AM and had done multiple walking laps around the park. We decided one lasts ride would do it for us.

So first we saw Valravn testing well in line for Millie, and it was done testing right when we got off but had collected quite the line (looked well over and hour, with FL+ overflowing. We opted instead for Raptor, which had a modest 45 minute wait. After a quick train swap for maintaince, people leaving because they thought it was broken down fully, and another Coaster Studios spotting we got on. I would say it was an above average ride on Raptor for me today. I had zero head banging, and overall a great ride. Finally we felt satisfied enough, had honestly a pretty great day, a lot of fun and a decent amount of laughs. Wasn’t expecting anything perfect, but I would say today was pretty darn good.

Can’t wait for more trips this season, but as for me next week is a Vacay to Orlando!

Yeah, I've noticed a legit increase in my enjoyment of rides lately since I've stopped overhyping them. Ya know, watching a POV once or twice, not 9001 times, and not over thinking and talking them. Seriously it's been a lot more fun and rarely am I let down anymore, often a ride was good but the expectations were in the stratosphere so what can you expect? Happened with Boulder Dash, Bizarro/Superman whatever it is now @ SFNE, Ravine Flyer II...

But SV is really hard to keep out of my mind.

Ive had good luck at CP late season. If I sneak a trip in this year may be real late, like October. We shall see. Hopefully any kinks will be worked out as well!

D45DE6D8-9762-4BED-ADEF-056824D03925.thumb.jpeg.368585d51713b215d97b4cb0a2c77254.jpeg

This was the really travesty of opening day yesterday guys. Saw this sign on every ice cream shop in the park. Where was one supposed to get their ice cream fix yesterday? Haha but in all seriousness still had a great day in the park. We go every opening day as tradition and yeah don’t expect too much. We’ll get our coasterfix when coastermania rolls around. The one thing that Is definitely recommend about this weekend is to see the Loop Rawlings show in Frontiertown. He’s only doing shows again today the he’s gone. Pretty awesome of CP to bring in a limited run show just for opening weekend.

OK so I was at the park today and was on the platform about to board the next train for my very first ride when Digger rammed Chess from behind. I saw someone's comment who said something along the lines that one train was moving forward so the train behind it thought it was clear to move into the station. Well, that's what happened. The Chess train had been loaded and was moving out of the station and the Digger train moved into the station and hit Chess from behind. So to those who are thinking that the collision pushed the one train 4 or 5 feet, that was not the case because Chess had been dispatched and moved that distance on it's own.

I don't mean to harp of this incident, but a question from the curios mechatronic engineer in me (well, I'm a mech eng with an interest in electronics) => Do you know were both trains on the move when the incident happened or did it appear that the train rolling out (Chess) stopped?

Also, does anybody remember how a train gets from the brake run into the station? ie. are their drive wheels, is it just gravity? Just something I didn't take note of when I rode it the other night and again just wanted to satisfy things ticking away in my own brain, not to speculate or discuss what might have gone wrong.

Thanks - CG

Hmm. . thought it was a good story that clarified what happened, and said they expected the ride to be back up by end of day (which it was). . so not sure what the "uhh" is about?

I stopped reading this after it said "The world's tallest".

you shouldn't have -- since if you had read the whole story, you'd see in the story they mention the coaster is a hybrid.

yeah, the headline is a little bit misleading, but the story clarifies they are talking about a hybrid coaster. . and in that context, SV *is* the tallest and fastest in the world, is it not?

from the story:

"Before the shutdown, "Steel Vengenace" -- with its 205-foot peak, 74 mph speed and 90-degree drop -- appears to have lived up to the hype as the world's tallest, fastest and wildest hybrid roller coaster,"

Sounds to me the collision occurred under drive wheel power, not as part of the coaster course, unless somehow it came into the brakes and didn't slow enough, so the drive wheels ended up being asked to work as brakes (which can't happen on Twisted Timbers because it doesn't hit the brakes hard enough for the drive wheels not to work adequately as brakes). This is a different category than full serious accidents, like planes colliding in the airport rather than while flying. Also I'm wondering if Chess started to move out and then they stopped it for whatever reason that sometimes happens.

It was reported that Twisted Timbers went to one train ops immediately after the time of the accident.

Sort of reminds me of Magnum's incident a few years back. At least after today they'll have until Friday to work everything out with no pressure of people waiting to ride.

EDIT: Sounds like according to Twitter, it spent most or all of exclusive ride time testing, and is now open with single train operations. Boarding passes are also being handed out with a time window to enter the line.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

It looks like (based on whats's going around Twitter) the park is handing out return times today due to one train ops. Obviously this is a less than ideal situation, but this is probably the best possible way to handle that situation. Nice job, Cedar Point.

Untitled.jpg.c8ae9428583c8ab75c4b41ae3a91c829.jpg

Glad to see they are running SV today. I did see on Cedar Point's twitter that the ride is scheduled to be open today. Interesting they are handling it with boarding passes, but seems like the most organized way for them to deal with the situation.