TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Perhaps its just random theming, or something the train uses?

Looks like this will be a pretty fun ride, maybe even the best ride at the park, IMO. Depends on the amount of airtime the hills will produce. Nice to see CP not going for the tallest or the fastest for a change. I'm looking forward to a visit or two. The LSM lift worries me a bit, but if DCA can do it, I'm sure CP may be able to also. How this thing will utilize 6 trains is beyond me though!

Anyway if you go on, http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ and watch the interview with the guy next to the mass of track, listen out for the bit where he says the the ride will have a 200ft lift!!!

When you, like, listen to everything he says, you can hear that he's saying that a 70 MPH launch is equivalent to the energy stored from a 200 ft. drop.

-Jahan

The ride looks awesome, IMO. I agree with alot of people that they dont have to go for the tallest and fastest. Hopefully though it won't have downtime or at least very little. I want to try to make it out there next year since I haven't been since Wicked Twister(which was closed all 4 days ) was new.

And did anyone noticed the quote from Carole Sanderson "president" or knowledgeable leader of ACE:
" "I believe Maverick will delight its riders with many surprising elements, including its compact layout and staggered launches."

"Compact Layout??!!?" What about this ride is a "compact layout?!?!!?"

"Staggered launches?" LaunchES????? Like as in Plural??? Um, Carole, last I checked...there is only ONE launch!

Sometimes it just amazes me how people can sign up for that club with how ridiculous they sound.

--Robb "I'm actually shocked CP printed that statement!" Alvey

A couple thoughts here. Okay, the whole "compact layout" thing is off the mark, but considering the trains are propelled upward by LSMs, would it not be considered a launch? Sure, it's not neck-breaking speed, but technically it's being pushed, not "lifted" up the "lift hill," no?

And secondly, I'm sort of confused that many people are making a big deal about the 95 degree aspect of the drop. I'm sure it will lift you out of your seat momentarily, but cmon folks, it's only just over 100 ft! The drop is over practically before it begins. This "beyond vertical" aspect won't compete with Mystery Mine, or even Griffon's 90 degree, 200ft. drop.

But, of course, I'm probably wrong. Personally, I'm much more thrilled about the low-level, fast paced "sidewindin'" going on here.

Those shoulder restraints don't look so comfy. I haven't been on Kingda Ka or any Intamin's with those restraints (and it seems most of you dislike them as well), but I'm just wondering, are they only hard plastic or is there padding on them?

I think that they are just plastic strips, with the lap section probably being made out of whatever Intamin lapbar restraints are.

"Staggered launches?" LaunchES????? Like as in Plural??? Um, Carole, last I checked...there is only ONE launch!

Cedar Fair is using very misleading language on their site.

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/facts/news/

Linear synchronous motors will propel the train to the top of a 105-foot-tall first hill.

Throughout the 2-minute, 30-second ride, passengers will also experience eight "airtime-filled hills," three inversions and a second launch through a dark tunnel that will leave them in awe as they reach speeds of 70 mph!

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ride/stats/

Features:

* Linear synchronous motor launching system

* 95-degree first drop

* Two launch areas

It sounds to me like Cedar Fair is trying to pass off a lift hill as a "launch". Apparently, the ACE lady didn't bother to read through the lines of the marketing BS.

The lift hill launch will be done in the same way that California Screamin' is done most likely. It'll be "launched" in that its not taken up the hill by a traditional lift, but it will be done very slowly. I can't imagine the launch will be too fast, otherwise that drop will have EXTREME air. The drop may only be 100 feet tall, but these are only 3 car trains, not the usual length we're used to. The Euro-fighters only have a 2 row train, but that drop is beyond awesome!

Those shoulder restraints don't look so comfy. I haven't been on Kingda Ka or any Intamin's with those restraints (and it seems most of you dislike them as well), but I'm just wondering, are they only hard plastic or is there padding on them?

I think that they are just plastic strips, with the lap section probably being made out of whatever Intamin lapbar restraints are.

BOOOOOOOO. That's no fun.

Not too impressed, but not unexpected. Should add a nice addition to the park, but I do agree with the whole "a little over hyped deal" They should of named it fire crotch "blazing out of the hole @ 70 mph, wow"

The one good thing that comes to mind with this design is this. Roll backs galore!! With multi firing sections hahahaha. This sucker is going to be a nightmare getting the bugs worked out like all Lim, LSM coasters at opening.

Heck, Volcano uses just a booster section and that thing mis fires still to this day.

I hope they keep that little crane thing usually on Mill-island parked near this coaster next year.

Heres looking forward to the wrong direction in 07..

Cheers!

Hulks launch is 40mph, anyone know how fast this launch/lift whatever you want to call it going to be???

Im guessing ass slow like California Screaming with the annoying noise of the LSM's working. I would be surprised if the lift only goes a little bit faster than CS since the trains or smaller but nothing in the form of hulk.

Jeremy "now we have to deal with is it a lift or is it a launch debate" Lynch

I think Maverick looks awesome! i read every post up untill this point! you people need to stop complaining... half of you won't get there to ride it probalby so stop complaining! Untill you ride it, there is no judgement to wether the ride is good or bad.

Its a Roller Coaster, isn't that what really matters?!

To anyone who doesnt think this coaster looks that impressive are you atleast somewhat thrilled that Cedar Fair is making a step to build a decent ride with good theming?

I mean, the theming on this ride looks good, real good. No, it's not the end all be all of themed rides and no it may not look as themed as it does in the videos when it's done being built but you have to admit that if this is the trend that Cedar Point is going to shoot for now then I am more then impressed.

There will always be room to break records; and this park/franchise will, but till then I am very impressed that they went the route of image over thrill in this one. I might add that this ride still looks like it will pack quite a thrill.

Of all the coasters I've seen being built in this park I am anticipating hearing and seeing how this one turns our more than any other coaster they have built. I think the buzz for this ride is more than deserved.

This is a total thumbs up for Cedar Point in my book.

If that first lift if really a "launch" then I'm calling shenanigans! And in that case, I now credit Big Thunder Mountain as a "LIM Launched Coaster" too!!!!!

--Robb "That lift looks about speed of California Screamin's lift and that is NOT a launch!!!" Alvey

I think this ride is going to be great! I mean, its got all the good coaster elements: Inversion, Airtime hills, launches, 95degree drop, close-to-the-ground fast turs and even theming, its like Cedar Point is trying to put all the recent coaster trends in one single coaster!

This might be a weird thing to focus on, but what are those inversions? there's the Heartline Roll, but the other two, are those Corkscrews or Zero-G's? or are they kind of a combination, a new inversion, like a Corkscrew Roll or something?

Anyways looks like a great coaster, the variation of different kind of elements should make for an interesting ride.

I think this ride is going to be great! I mean, its got all the good coaster elements: Inversion, Airtime hills, launches, 95degree drop, close-to-the-ground fast turs and even theming, its like Cedar Point is trying to put all the recent coaster trends in one single coaster!

This might be a weird thing to focus on, but what are those inversions? there's the Heartline Roll, but the other two, are those Corkscrews or Zero-G's? or are they kind of a combination, a new inversion, like a Corkscrew Roll or something?

Anyways looks like a great coaster, the variation of different kind of elements should make for an interesting ride.

They are pretty much two elongated Corkscrews, but officialy they are a brand new two inversion element known as a "Twisted Horseshoe Roll".