TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^Not to be rude, and while the Mansfield Reformatory is awesome, it's very out of the way from Point to KI. It's about halfway between Cleveland and Columbus on I-71. It's possible for a visit but it's probably a good 2-3 hours of driving out of the way between Point and KI.

There isn't much in the way of sightseeing between KI and Point. But the coolest thing is probably the National Air Force Museum and Wright Patterson Air Force base out side of Dayton, Ohio. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Wait what? 2-3 hours out of the way? The fastest route on google maps from KI to CP goes from 71 to 13 and which literally the road right by the place haha.

I could be wrong, so my apologies if I am. But I guess personally for me I would shoot up 75 from KI. But if Google says it's on the way!

Cedar Point is not having a great start to the year at all. I thought Sandusky just updated the infrastructure not too long ago to prevent that sort of thing? I also like how the first reply to that tweet 8 minutes later is someone from ABC News asking if they can use her tweet...such vultures!

A car drove into a utility pole. I mean... what do you want from them?

We actually left yesterday around noon and saw them sweeping up debris from a concrete fence in the parking lot after a car plowed into that earlier. Nobody could drive at Cedar Point yesterday.

Also...

also like how the first reply to that tweet 8 minutes later is someone from ABC News asking if they can use her tweet...such vultures!

Untitled3.jpg.f3958b0a3f1666a3313b65f000cea5a3.jpg

Untitled.jpg.05b2fb74c7e0330d7406d1c63740c9ef.jpg

Don't worry, Tony dropped some knowledge on ABC News yesterday.

PS: Not an actual video link because nobody should click on it because ABC is dumb...

Ohio - Where a prison is the best sightseeing they have to offer!

I mean sure if you're forgetting Put-In-Bay, Rock Hall, Football Hall of Fame, Hocking Hills, the lake in general, etc. When it's narrowed down to what's between two points of interest...

Ohio - Where a prison is the best sightseeing they have to offer!

I mean sure if you're forgetting Put-In-Bay, Rock Hall, Football Hall of Fame, Hocking Hills, the lake in general, etc. When it's narrowed down to what's between two points of interest...

I would have said all of the Dayton flight museums/Wright brothers stuff, etc. over a lake and random all of fames, but still...Ohio.

^Pretty much...fly in Fri night, grab rental car, stay at hotel near KI then Sat all day till close (night rides on Beast). Leave the park and head to Columbus hotel about an hour and 1/2 drive, then up early for the 2 hour drive to CP. Spend most of the day there with Fast Lane (+) and I usually grab a hotel anywhere south of Sandusky and head back down to Cincy the next morning to catch an afternoon flight home. Seems to go much smoother when you break up the drive times.

We are going in the opposite order. Flying into Cleveland and staying at Hotel Breakers. Full day at CP then next day sightseeing and drive down to a hotel near KI. Full day there then leave out from Cincinnati the next day. I'm just getting the 3hr drive out the way once!

What sightseeing is there? Serious question, never been but am thinking of doing a weekend sometime

Columbus is definitely worth a stop if you're into checking out cities. The Short North is very vibrant with miles of shops and restaurants all the way from downtown up to OSU's campus, and German Village is really cool if you're into historical neighborhoods. If you're into airplanes, taking a detour over to the Air Force Museum in Dayton is 150% worth it, since it's probably the only place in the world where you can see things like the B-2, SR-71, F-22 and F-117 all in the same building, plus they have a large collection of old Air Force One planes that you can actually go inside and check out, which is really cool. Or take a detour into Cincinnati for the day before heading back up to Kings Island and check out the observation deck downtown or the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood. Ohio does have a ton of really cool stuff, but practically none of it is accessible on the drive between CP and KI.

German Village, Columbus

1/4 of the Air Force Museum

Cincinnati

Just saw a video on Instagram of Steel Vengeance's Mid Course this morning. It's trimming trains HARD. Obviously it's difficult to tell how much airtime you'll get from an off ride video, but it doesn't look like you get any airtime on the drop off the Mid Course. I hope this isn't permanent, if it is then there you'll have to specify if you rode SV "before trim" or "after trim"

If you want to see the video for youself, it's on @cp.ki.obsession's story on instagram.

^^Speaking of Columbus, if Ohio started a GoFundMe to build an actual, respectable road from the Sandusky area to Columbus and not force you to go to Cleveland or Toldeo before heading south or drive through the set of "Children of the Corn" that would be great and I would contribute.

Just saw a video on Instagram of Steel Vengeance's Mid Course this morning. It's trimming trains HARD.

I just watched it. The train straight up hauled ass into the brake run (despite the dumb caption). Insane "hairtime" all around.

if it is then there you'll have to specify if you rode SV "before trim" or "after trim"

... but I expect that people will still do this because enthusiasts like to brag about stupid shit. I rode it yesterday morning, It didn't trim and it looks no different coming into the brakes. It's hauling in that video even though it was probably shot during Early Entry when the ride just started up for the day. If you showed me that video with no caption I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Edited by coasterbill

We are going in the opposite order. Flying into Cleveland and staying at Hotel Breakers. Full day at CP then next day sightseeing and drive down to a hotel near KI. Full day there then leave out from Cincinnati the next day. I'm just getting the 3hr drive out the way once!

Hey that's exactly the same as our trip a year ago. Google did take us down the 71, probably due to the traffic conditions of the time. If we do this again, I wouldn't mind checking out that Shawshank prison and seeing a bit of Columbus.

Edited by thedlr

Just saw a video on Instagram of Steel Vengeance's Mid Course this morning. It's trimming trains HARD. Obviously it's difficult to tell how much airtime you'll get from an off ride video, but it doesn't look like you get any airtime on the drop off the Mid Course. I hope this isn't permanent, if it is then there you'll have to specify if you rode SV "before trim" or "after trim"

If you want to see the video for youself, it's on @cp.ki.obsession's story on instagram.

Seeing that video, there is a noticeable change to when I rode it. But it doesn’t look to be as extreme as I thought. If anyone can speak about the second half, that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy, I've heard enough enthusiast complaints about Voyage's trims biting down to know we'll never hear the end of this...

^^Not to be rude, and while the Mansfield Reformatory is awesome, it's very out of the way from Point to KI. It's about halfway between Cleveland and Columbus on I-71. It's possible for a visit but it's probably a good 2-3 hours of driving out of the way between Point and KI.

There isn't much in the way of sightseeing between KI and Point. But the coolest thing is probably the National Air Force Museum and Wright Patterson Air Force base out side of Dayton, Ohio. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Sweet that is right up my alley, definitely going to check that out, thanks!

One final random Ohio thing that anyone who's been on TPR for long enough probably remembers:

drink-the-claw.jpg

THE SANTA CLAW!!! Although it's no longer an online thing, you can still play it in person at the Proto BuildBar in downtown Dayton, which also has a bunch of 3D printers and other cool things to play with.

This has always been my biggest fear. I’ll be there tomorrow so hopefully it doesn’t slow it down too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely recommend this! Been there several times, and I personally enjoy it MUCH more than the National Air and Space museum. Less crowds, and the place is HUGE, and has an incredibly great selection of aircraft (Including the Bockscar!!)

Absolutely recommend this! Been there several times, and I personally enjoy it MUCH more than the National Air and Space museum. Less crowds, and the place is HUGE, and has an incredibly great selection of aircraft (Including the Bockscar!!)

This has always been my biggest fear. I’ll be there tomorrow so hopefully it doesn’t slow it down too much.

If THAT'S your biggest fear, sounds like life must be pretty sweet right about now!

The same guy that posted the video I was referring to also posted this:

the trimming is apparently for preperation of 3 train operation according to ride op. So the trimming is definitely temporary for the time being

If the ride ops are telling people this, that's a good sign!

If THAT'S your biggest fear, sounds like life must be pretty sweet right about now!

If that's their biggest fear they must not live in the US.

Just saw a video on Instagram of Steel Vengeance's Mid Course this morning. It's trimming trains HARD.

I just watched it. The train straight up hauled A$$ into the brake run (despite the dumb caption). Insane "hairtime" all around.

My first thought while watching it was about how much speed it still has at the end of the ride, so I'm not sure why the stupid caption. It's clearly slowing down quite a bit on the mid course brake and I'm sure that affects the airtime on the hill right after, but I would be surprised if it's very noticeable anywhere else on the ride. Still, I wish I was able to ride it and see for myself. I'll be there next week and was hoping for a brake-free ride. Although I'll happily take 3 train operation over that, if that's what it means.

Regardless, brakes or no brakes, I'm sure the ride is incredible and I'll be at Cedar Point for god's sake. I'll have a great time no matter what.