TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^There are plenty, but not newly-built ones. They could definitely do it, with their commitment to guest satisfaction (fast-moving line). Also, in the case of this Vekoma or B&M junior coaster (even though it's someones imagination), it's almost more of a middle-coaster rather than kids coasters. It would be like the next step up from Woodstock, filling in the gap before Corkscrew (along with CCMR and Iron Dragon). I think this model would be very popular at CP.

I know my kids would love it. A high capacity children's coaster would be wonderful for CP, whenever they do decide to build one. There's absolutely nothing this park needs--they virtually have one of everything already--but something like this would really do well for sure.

I know my kids would love it. A high capacity children's coaster would be wonderful for CP, whenever they do decide to build one. There's absolutely nothing this park needs--they virtually have one of everything already--but something like this would really do well for sure.

For the average park-goer or casual enthusiast, sure they have a top-notch collection. And then there's the geeks. I know I know "they don't need to cater to us" or some tired line like that. Point understood, accepted and taken. But to some of us, they are missing some key things. For example, they had a classic wooden coaster then added ratchet lap bars, seat dividers and headrests. And although still popular, I can promise you it was a MUCH different ride when it ran as a classic until 1995.

Don't take this as a complaint (I know how much people LOVE to jump on others they think might be complaining, and then ... complain about them), it's just one opinion. I still LOVE Cedar Point and their collection. It's such a breath of fresh air to walk into the Point and experience a clean park with top-notch operations. Especially after going to some other big thrill parks.

That’s a nice idea, and I’d love to see it come to fruition. Cedar Point really needs more family coasters. A Firechaser-type ride and a GCI woodie would round out their collection beautifully.

Cedar Point seems to be in the habit of building giant record breaking coasters, which has been bringing in the crowd. It would be more difficult to market a small scale coaster or GCI after years of bigger and 'better' coasters. In my opinion, the park has plenty to do for children and families, even if in not necessarily in equal proportion to their major thrill rides. Let CP bring in the giants, while still catering sufficiently, but not exceedingly, to children and families. Let parks like KI pick up the slack.

That’s a nice idea, and I’d love to see it come to fruition. Cedar Point really needs more family coasters. A Firechaser-type ride and a GCI woodie would round out their collection beautifully.

Cedar Point seems to be in the habit of building giant record breaking coasters, which has been bringing in the crowd. It would be more difficult to market a small scale coaster or GCI after years of bigger and 'better' coasters. In my opinion, the park has plenty to do for children and families, even if in not necessarily in equal proportion to their major thrill rides. Let CP bring in the giants, while still catering sufficiently, but not exceedingly, to children and families. Let parks like KI pick up the slack.

THIS. I'm not saying we'll never see a smaller GCI woodie, or a smaller family attraction, but at the same time, when Ouimet came in, he really took a view of each park that looked at what their individual strengths were, and what their potential, and focus should be. And CP IS a thrill park. It's THE thrill park. And no matter how many "know it all enthusiasts" I heard talk about how CP "needed" to balance out their additions back about 5 years ago, and move away from large coaster additions for more family friendly ones, that's just not what CP is all about, and I said so back then. And the last 5 years have proven that, with the addition of Valravn and now Steel Vengeance. We'll see what the future holds, but as Zach said, when you set a standard with your additions of being "bigger and better", it's harder to sell something smaller to the masses. That's what the smaller CF parks are able to do, and have done. That's why a place like KI is able to co-exist well in proximity to CP, because it really is a very different style of park, with a different targeted demographic that it's focusing on - much more family friendly - so CP doesn't need to be.

I kind of loved how the two children's coasters are right across the walkway to each other (and close to Mine Train and Gemini. . which are coasters "older children" can ride)

Time to say goodbye to part of my CP collection. Lots of good stuff in here... and frankly, some bad stuff too! But I'm sure it will make someone happy. I posted it in the "auction watch" thread but figured I would also post in here where all the rabid CP fans are. Me being one of them.

Cedar Point memorabilia on eBay

Park maps, brochures, postcards, employee ride night flyers, etc. etc. etc., A few pictures of the goodies:

IMG_9215.thumb.JPG.5063aa0f70be775f07f28d9d53a728a8.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG.f1774ecac62250fff68971ec0e917514.JPG

IMG_9231.JPG.04fc4a6304bf6c67a0186a773a9c93aa.JPG